Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Can't believe no-one's mentioned it yet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Big Phil for England. What's everyone's opinions on Phil Scolari being offered the England job?

I've got to say, I'm surprised they've gone for a foreigner again, just because of public opinion. But if you look at the managers in international football, he's got to be the top one.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Totally agree, he has the right credentials for the job but I'm also surprised they haven't appointed an English manager.
    if you want to win and keep winning you have to appoint someone who'll do that, not just someone that the public want, I mean seriously what do they actually know?
    I would imagine a few columnists from the Daily Mail and other tabloids spitting blood again over a dirty foreigner taking over the job of England manager.... :D

The last time we had such gems as "we have surrendered our heritage to a nation of 7 million skiers who spend half their time in darkness".

I wonder what they will come up with this time: "a nation of samba dancers who spend their entire time wearing thongs and shaving their pubic hair into thin lines", perhaps?
    Won't be able to watch a Portugal game at the World Cup without English commentators banging on about it constantly then :rolleyes:

The only English manager who might have been good enough was McClaren, so I suppose it's a good decision.
    Well he's knocked us out of two tournaments in a row. So rather than face him again, they've decided to just buy him. Good logic really.
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Won't be able to watch a Portugal game at the World Cup without English commentators banging on about it constantly then :rolleyes:

The only English manager who might have been good enough was McClaren, so I suppose it's a good decision.

You comin' down to Tynie on Wednesday Bri?
    You comin' down to Tynie on Wednesday Bri?

Can't mate, working till 5 :mad:

The stands are too steep anyway, one beer wobble too many and it's Goodnight Vienna :lol:
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Can't mate, working till 5 :mad:

The stands are too steep anyway, one beer wobble too many and it's Goodnight Vienna :lol:
    Gutted. And aye, it's happened to me quite a few times...
    I love the irony of Harry Redknapps comments.

he said that this was a smack in the mouth for every English coach/manager. Kind of like buying foreign players eh Harry?

If he does the job then he's the right man. I've said from the start that if I couldn't see the person managing one of the top four (or should that be five now that Arsenal can't get in the top four?!!), then they shouldn't manage England. As Dein was on the panel there was no way that my personal favourite (Wenger) would get the job. From what I've heard today Dein started the courtship of Scolari after the Euro 04 game...
    It's the best appointment they could have made. I would be very happy if I was English. People like McClaren and Allardyce don't even compare. I've never understood that 'English only' thing that people wanted. Such a load of xenophobic balls. I always thought Martin O'Neill would be best but this leaves him free to manage United if he so wishes when Fergie retires, so I'm happy enough.

Scolari will have the respect of the big players, and his Brazil and Portugal sides have both played beautiful attacking football and been by far the best teams at their respective tournaments. It looks good. Would be interesting if Portugal knocked England out of the World Cup. I wonder how fans would react. I agree with Bri-namite, it's gonna be real annoying watching Portugal games, and getting everything they do scrutinized by the English commentators. They're my 'outsider' (if you could call them that) for winners.
    Aladdin wrote:
    I would imagine a few columnists from the Daily Mail and other tabloids spitting blood again over a dirty foreigner taking over the job of England manager.... :D

I wonder if they will still be demanding Terry Venables be the next manager?:p
    "a nation of samba dancers who spend their entire time wearing thongs and shaving their pubic hair into thin lines", perhaps?

I'd say so.

It certainly won't be "a nation of great footballers who keep winning world cups", will it?

I'm delighted. The only English candidate that would have come close was McLaren, who does at least have European success to his name as coach at United.
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm delighted. The only English candidate that would have come close was McLaren, who does at least have European success to his name as coach at United.
    :lol: Are you kidding? Multi-millions spent at boro, and only finished in the top half of the league once......ever.
    :lol: Are you kidding? Multi-millions spent at boro, and only finished in the top half of the league once......ever.

Plus a league cup, plus a UEFA final (at least) plus the Treble with United...

There isn't another English manager to compare really, if fact there aren't many managers in jobs at the moment in the UK who come close...
    Bit disappointed it isn't an English manager because if we were to win somethin they would get a load of credit for it.

Frankly I don't think the manager matters that much if you have decent players.

As for having to be a top-four manager, why? A sign of a good manager is what they have achieved with their resources. Alan Curbishley would win the Premiership with Chelsea just as easily as Mourinho has...........
    Plus a league cup, plus a UEFA final (at least) plus the Treble with United...

There isn't another English manager to compare really, if fact there aren't many managers in jobs at the moment in the UK who come close...
    Well if you're counting the treble in his list of achievements, then you've also got to count the fact that he's been the assistant manager for the last two tournaments that England have crashed out of.

There's little to choose between the top English candidates, but I would choose someone who's brought a team from the first division to a top six team on very little money than someone who's won one trophy and achieved very little else on a pretty huge budget.
    Well if you're counting the treble in his list of achievements, then you've also got to count the fact that he's been the assistant manager for the last two tournaments that England have crashed out of.

Indeed. Once to the winners, the other on penalties. TBH I don't think those were negatives.
    Whoops, think some people have been a bit premature.
    Just been reading on Teletext that he's withdrawn.
    :confused:

What working wonders on a small budget has to do with managing top class international players in international tournaments I do not know.
    He was looking £5 million a year. :eek2:

Jose Mourinho doesn't even get paid that as far as I know, and he's a club manager which takes alot more work IMO.
    There's little to choose between the top English candidates, but I would choose someone who's brought a team from the first division to a top six team on very little money than someone who's won one trophy and achieved very little else on a pretty huge budget.

Ah, but I remember Sam Allardyce lording it up over us in a 1996 play-off semi-final after beating us 2-0 on our patch. We then beat Blackpool 3-0 on their patch, and that's hardly the tactical nouse I want from an England manager.

McLaren was assistant at Derby too, when Derby came from the lower divisions with no money and stayed in the Premiership very comfortably. That's how he got the job at United, he coached them to the treble, and now he's won Boro's first ever silverware and got them to a European final.

And as MoK points out, England "crashed out" (a fluke goal and a penalty defeat is hardly a thumping) to the eventual winner and the eventual finalist- the finalist was at home, too. It's hardly shameful.

McLaren is the best English candidate. If Allardyce gets the job I'm supporting Scotland, I think they might be more successful. I'm crucually not saying that McLaren is someone who should get the job, but if the number one criterion is being English then he IS more successful than all his competitors.

And as for those who feel that the manager doesn't make a difference, with pretty much the same team Keegan lost 1-0 at home to the country Eriksson thrashed 5-1 on their own patch.

Of course it will be about money. The FA have been stitched up like a kipper. Eriksson takes a huge packet home (although I get the feeling the press have inflated it) so Scolari wanted one too.
    You can't blame Scolari, who would want the attention of the British press 24/7, its not like he needs the money. If I was in management I wouldn't want the England job even though its an honour (not for me personally) the expectation and intrusion is far to much. Plus The FA manage to make a complete balls up of everything they touch, who in their right mind would want to work for them?
    Bri-namite wrote:
    :confused:

What working wonders on a small budget has to do with managing top class international players in international tournaments I do not know.
    It's about having to get the best out of what you've got. Not being able to buy the perfect player to fit your system. Quite important I think.