Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Choosing a new phone / tariff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you go about it? Theres more tariffs than animals in a zoo, and I really don't know which one is best for me. I could just stay on PAYG, I'm currently on o2 genie sim with 300 free texts, but most months I go over my allowance and its very expensive after that (past 2 months have topped up in the region of £60!!). I was looking at getting a new phone anyway, if I get a contract I'll get more texts, + minutes, + the phone for a relatively smaller price. I.e.

Nokia N70 on O2 Online 100:

£25 per month (over 12 months) -> £300

500 inclusive text messages

100 inclusive any network minutes (o2 phones + landlines)

minus the cost of the phone which comes in around the £270 mark sim free! So that's £30 (effectively) for the texts / minutes, if I assume I would have bought the phone anyway.

Vs. currently PAYG

£10 per month

300 inclusive text messages

£10s worth of credit (doesn't go far @ 12p a text and high rates except after 7pm).

However, being tied into a contract isnt exactly fun - and whatsmore, I could go for an 18 month contract and get even more texts / minutes. I've never had a contract before but feel like its worth it - looking at the numbers it seems to make sense.

But how do other networks compare? T-mobile, orange, vodaphone...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Here's an idea that just came to me - get a contract with a nokia n70, sell the n70 on ebay for a fair amount and then put the o2 sim in my current phone. :chin: probably not worth it, mind you...
    1983 wrote:

I've heard a lot of stories about the unreliability of three.... :chin: I will look into them though. You work for them don't you though? :p I'm not even sure about the phone tbh - will go in town sometime soon and ask to try one out :).

6280 vs. n70? :confused:
    I've heard a lot of stories about the unreliability of three.... :chin: I will look into them though. You work for them don't you though? :p I'm not even sure about the phone tbh - will go in town sometime soon and ask to try one out :).

6280 vs. n70? :confused:

N70 is the same really as a 6280, 6280 is smaller, but I think with the N70 you can do more to it i.e SATNAV and stuff I think.

3 is good, but you have a 14 day trial thing if it doesn't work for you, like.
    My friend has a 6280 on three and rates it quite highly, he got an amazing deal from what he told me today. Higher end of the price spectrum though.

I'm looking ideally for 500 texts, 100+ minutes, free phone, £25ish per annum.

T-mobile are doing flext at the moment which seems quite good. My strategy at the mo is find one tariff I would like from each provider and compare them. But then independent placse like the carphone warehouse do their own tariffs kind of :confused:

This is probably why I've never had a phone on contract before :p
    I've got a Sony Ericsson W800i on Online 200 (750 texts, [every pic message you send = 4 messages] 300 anytime any network mins, 1mb data). Suits me fine, only run over my minutes ever so slightly.
    flext is a beast, they are doing 25% off for the life of a contract until the end of this month
    Just e-mailed t-mobile, they're out of stock of the 6280. I still don't know whether the N70 would be a better choice though :chin: if you don't like your phone, are you allowed to swap it? :p lol
  • <Sam><Sam> Deactivated Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    It's worth checking out www.mobiles4everyone.com - they give the total cost of loads of different packages.
    I might just go all out and get a MDA Pro now :chin: God I can be silly with money sometimes, can't I? :p