Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

speed cameras

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
can a speed camera do you for speeding if your driving towards them?

cos one flashed at me the other day but i only thought it could get you if you were going away from it

has this happened to anyone else and will i get a letter through or will it just be dropped.

Comments

• Options
    Long time debate between me/my boyfriend and his dad....

Me and the boyfriend say no. I can't remember what proof my boyfriend has (a friend with more money than sense and no hobbies) maybe testing it)

His dad claims his mate got caught on his motorbike from the front. We find this difficult to believe because theres no registration number on the front of a bike, so how would they know who it was?

But either way, I don't think they can. Be prepared though.
  • Options
    Well if it flashed you then surely it took the picture? I'm not sure was it a mobile one or the kind with the marker lines on the floor?
  • Options
    You do know that site is Australian?

(Unless, the OP is Australian and you just know more than me, in which case ignore me :blush: )
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    You do know that site is Australian?

(Unless, the OP is Australian and you just know more than me, in which case ignore me :blush: )
    do australian ones work different?
  • Options
    Actually thinking about it, most of the speed cameras i go through are ones that you drive towards, altough the do have the lines painted on the floor to warn you when you are in the 'zone' so to speak.
  • Options
    there's regularly one on a stretch of motorway near me and the camera faces the cars. it's one of those ones in the back of a van.
  • Options
    http://www.lordpercy.com/speed_cameras_explained.htm

this ones better.that other link was a bit shite tbh
  • Options
    Mad Mac wrote:
    do australian ones work different?

Yeah, silly! Everyone knows that in Australia, they are upside down .. :rolleyes:

:p
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Yeah, silly! Everyone knows that in Australia, they are upside down .. :rolleyes:

:p
    :D
  • Options
    aye there is one type of speed camera ive seen, has like two lenses one above each other, can get you coming head on, my mate got hit by one a few months back.

they are either called Gatso or trevello, one of those 2.

the square yellow ones you regularly see can only get you going away as far as im aware. i dont bother with them anyway and never had a speeding fine.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Most new camera's capture you as you head into them so that they get a good mug shot too. People used to be able to get around them by saying they didn't know who was driving. Now the cunts can have photo evididence.

I want to stick a tyre round our local ones and set the cunt alight.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Best thing to do is carry an RPG-7 and a Passenger.

Simply get him to blow every one of the fucking things you see up!
  • Options
    yeah, the newer type of cameras have forward facing things. Most older big yellow boxes photograph the rear.
  • Options
    If you know a bit of maths, its pretty simple to work out how fast you were going whether you were going towards the camera or away from it.

To cut a long story very short, if a camera flashed, it already too late. You'll get a bill in the post.

Also, some people think that if you're lucky, the camera wont have film in it. This is a tad funny, almost all cameras are now digital, and linked to a database somewhere.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Also, some people think that if you're lucky, the camera wont have film in it. This is a tad funny, almost all cameras are now digital, and linked to a database somewhere.

Actaully that's bollocks.

read this.... http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/index1.htm
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Actaully that's bollocks.

read this.... http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/index1.htm

OK maybe I was wrong, I read it here on the History paragraph
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_camera

This webpage (if you search for film) says digital is only being tested.
    http://www.nationalsafetycameras.co.uk/nscl/q&a/q&a.html

My bad.
  • Options
    To cut a long story very short, if a camera flashed, it already too late. You'll get a bill in the post.

This bit is bollocks as well :).
  • Options
    What some bikers I know used to do on rideouts is swap their numberplates, if they got a photo taken then the bike is a different colour / model to the one on the number plate - sorted. Apparently it doesn't work anymore though...
  • Options
    What some bikers I know used to do on rideouts is swap their numberplates, if they got a photo taken then the bike is a different colour / model to the one on the number plate - sorted. Apparently it doesn't work anymore though...

Or have a tiny rear numberplate on the bike hidden from the above angle under the seat, but visible from behind.

It is still legal... just the camera can't get it. Some of the Hot Rod crowd, if the car is pro street style, used to mount them on the rear diff, cos the rear was so high in the air you can do it.

Used to get filthy though, and with the dirty plate laws...

Which leads me to the fact it is Clean Car Month is Moscow, and they are nicking people for having a dirty car. :eek2:
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Or have a tiny rear numberplate on the bike hidden from the above angle under the seat, but visible from behind.

It is still legal... just the camera can't get it. Some of the Hot Rod crowd, if the car is pro street style, used to mount them on the rear diff, cos the rear was so high in the air you can do it.

Used to get filthy though, and with the dirty plate laws...

Which leads me to the fact it is Clean Car Month is Moscow, and they are nicking people for having a dirty car. :eek2:

Actually its not. Bikers getting pulled by bored policeman and getting tickets for exactly that - non-standard sized licence plates - is a common occurence.

If you mean a standard sized plate but at a funny angle... I don't know how that would work tbh. :chin:
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Most new camera's capture you as you head into them so that they get a good mug shot too. People used to be able to get around them by saying they didn't know who was driving. Now the cunts can have photo evididence.

I want to stick a tyre round our local ones and set the cunt alight.

what would happen if you reversed through it at 40mph? :lol:

1-0 to the people i'd guess!!
  • Options
    Actually its not. Bikers getting pulled by bored policeman and getting tickets for exactly that - non-standard sized licence plates - is a common occurence.

Lame! I heard it was OK. ;/
    If you mean a standard sized plate but at a funny angle... I don't know how that would work tbh. :chin:

Well, you could ram it right under the cushion, and if you got it at an angle it might not show up.

Like if it was angled down enough to not be seen. I dunno. At least with a 'Rod, you can just ram it somewhere stupid in the name of customisation! Bikes have far more limited space for such sillyness.
  • Options
    Cameras can't legally flash you from front on, if memory serves - a flash going off in the face of a driver could cause an accident due to being dazzled, which contradicts the whole 'reason' cameras were put there in the first place. The Truvello type dont flash, instead they have the capability to take the picture without a flash. I think the lines on both sides of the road for gatsos are designed so people can't just go in the other lane if they notice it at the last minute.

Bastard fucking things.
  • Options
    can a speed camera do you for speeding if your driving towards them?

cos one flashed at me the other day but i only thought it could get you if you were going away from it

has this happened to anyone else and will i get a letter through or will it just be dropped.

Is the camera on the other side of the road?
    Some cameras can be triggered if you are driving at a certain speed....most won't.
    Also, were there warning signs about a speed camera on your side of the road?
    Every speed camera has to be somewhere in between 2 speed camera signs as a warning, and the signs should be on a fairly straight road and a 400m distance between them.

The GATSO's are the ones that take your mugshot, yellow ones with a blue circle normally...

You probably got nothing to worry about...
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Is the camera on the other side of the road?
    Some cameras can be triggered if you are driving at a certain speed....most won't.
    Also, were there warning signs about a speed camera on your side of the road?
    Every speed camera has to be somewhere in between 2 speed camera signs as a warning, and the signs should be on a fairly straight road and a 400m distance between them.

The GATSO's are the ones that take your mugshot, yellow ones with a blue circle normally...

You probably got nothing to worry about...

No, the Truvello ones are the ones that take your mugshot - gatsos take a picture of the rear of the car, as they use a flash and this can't happen from in front as it could dazzle you and send you off the road. The truvello ones are the infrared ones.
  • Options
    but it did go off in front of me!! it was a big yellow box.

really starting to worry bit now cos everyones saying different things.

i know i shouldnt have been speeding and its my own fault and i agree, ill happily pay the fine and everything cos it was my own fault for getting caught, its just the having to tell my mom and dad that im not enjoying cos the cars in my dads name so the letters gonna go to him.
  • Options
    It's the 3 points that bother me more, than the £60 fine, but i try to be soooo carefull around camera zones, that and i don't speed any other time :p
  • Options
    The ones that bother me are handheld ones and the ones on the tripod. They can get you from like 800 metres away, meaning the big speed camera sign on the back of the van is irrelevant as by the time you can make out what it is you've been gotten.
  • Options
    Ever wondered what the computer source code is for those state of the art speed cameras ? Why not ask a policeman . . . . . . . .especially in the courtroom if he alleges you are going faster than he says you should be ;)