Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

SATs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Its this time of year where everyone in Year 9 has there English, Maths & Science
What im basicaly saying is ive got my SATs coming up and at the moment im the the following Sets,

>English – Top Set
>Science – Third Set
>Maths – Moved from third set to fourth

And we use a learning system online called Sam learning, http://samlearning.com
And ive got some results and things and we had maths today last period and my teacher who brought sam learning to the school was helping me along, he gave me a task GCSE Maths I was abit taken back but I did some of it and I found it hard I scored 68% out of a 100, I don’t fully understand all of the questions on sam learning, and wondering if there is any other way I could learn more About Maths & Science mainly maths due to the fact ive moved down.

Many thanks,

Jay
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    anything specific?
    Maths really but science aswell
    BBC website?
    if you want to just generally learn the whole course, the AQA revision guides are good, especially for science
    Sofie wrote:
    BBC website?

thats proberly the best
    Sofie wrote:
    BBC website?

Yeah, i found the bbc bitesize revision stuff helpful when i was doin GCSE's
    If you need extra help ask your teachers, who will be able to advise where to look better than we can.

I'd also not worry about SATs, much as teachers like to pretend they're important, they're not in the slightest bit important. It's the teachers getting marked, after all.
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd also not worry about SATs, much as teachers like to pretend they're important, they're not in the slightest bit important. It's the teachers getting marked, after all.

Agreed. I can't actually believe that the teachers made more of a fuss about SATs than they ever did about GCSEs... :rolleyes:
    Sofie wrote:
    Agreed. I can't actually believe that the teachers made more of a fuss about SATs than they ever did about GCSEs... :rolleyes:

Can you not?

SAT results determine teachers' pay.
    Kermit wrote:
    Can you not?

And students get nothing, which is just wrong...
    Sofie wrote:
    And students get nothing, which is just wrong...

What do you mean, they get nothing?

You shouldn't be getting paid to do well at school.
    Kermit wrote:
    Can you not?

really?
    Among other things, yeah. That's what performance-related pay is all about.
    its not as clear cut as that kermit. but yeah the sats results are for the teachers benifit only
    Not being funny or anything, but why should WE have to do tests just so that the teachers' can get a pay rise? We benifit from it in NO way at all...
    What do you mean, they get nothing?

Well, it's true. Students get nothing from it, apart from from shit loads of pressure to do well in them...
    Sofie wrote:
    Not being funny or anything, but why should WE have to do tests just so that the teachers' can get a pay rise? We benifit from it in NO way at all...

Well, it's true. Students get nothing from it, apart from from shit loads of pressure to do well in them...

Apart from the monitoring of teaching standards. I'd call that a benefit, personally.
    Apart from the monitoring of teaching standards. I'd call that a benefit, personally.

Isn't that what the inspections are for?
    I don't know about your school, but when we had inspections it was best behaviour for a week or however long they were there, nothing like when they weren't. And being observed teaching a class is no reflection of how well children are being taught in the long term, its only for an hour or whatever. You have to have some way of monitoring the progress of children to make sure they are actually learning something.
    Sofie wrote:

Personally I think if you can't handle the "pressure" of SATs you need to be worrying about your own state of mind right now. It's never real pressure and in fact can be a helpful guide to see how well you're really doing. SATs don't mean anything but they can tell you one way or the other if you're keeping up and if you can revise (if you bother, I didn't) well enough to get good results in an exam. Use them as a tool to warm up for your GCSEs

Most schools have it easy, at mine we had full blown exams (or coursework for a couple) for every subject every year (baring PE). At year 8 that's, two languages, art, design & technology, history, geography, RS, maths, english lang/lit, sciences, IT, music and drama, and I still feel like I'm missing something. Followed by that except replace maths english and science with the oh so pressuring SATs in year 9, GCSE mocks at year 10, and just after christmas in year 11, and then your actual GCSEs, then As levels, where we were all expected to do 4 and an extra on like general studies or sports coaching courses then A-levels.

I got really bored of exams, and as far as I can tell, that's not a usual number of exams for most schools, but I never whinged about their purpose. You got good at handling pressure, and you got good at knowing how you needed to revise. It's a great practice tool.
    I did mocks and gcses at school, thats it. They didn't have tons.
    And not every subject every year from the age of 12 (and now 11)
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Personally I think if you can't handle the "pressure" of SATs you need to be worrying about your own state of mind right now. It's never real pressure and in fact can be a helpful guide to see how well you're really doing.
    In fairness, at some schools they are a real pressure. I nearly broke down over mine because I can't handle exams as it is (2nd year uni, it still applies...) and the teacher were making out we'd get nowhere in life without SATs. Sure, older, wiser and generally more cynical pupils were saying "don't be daft, they count for shit", but if you've got pressure from the staff it can be hard to cope.

That's not an anti-SATs rant, and I don't especially agree with Sofie that we get "nothing" from them, but I think some schools handle SATs very badly indeed.
    at school we were told that if we failed out sats then we wouldnt be able to get into high school and it would ruin the rest of our life etc etc, i think that that amount of pressure on a 10 year old or however old you are during your primary sats's in unfair
    teachers always exaggerate the importance of SATs, its just a scare tactic to get you to do well
    all mine did was decide what sets i'd be in for english, maths and science GCSE and they still put me in the wrong english group
    GRRR at Sats, it may be 10 years ago but I remember the stress the teachers put us through, constantly telling us how important they are, that they are an indicator for GCSE, that they will say what level of GCSE paper you could take...

I remember girls at my school crying over it..yes it's a bit pathetic but some people do get more stressed than others and there are too many exams now. Being taught how to pass exams isn't necessarily a good way to learn.
    piccolo wrote:
    In fairness, at some schools they are a real pressure. I nearly broke down over mine because I can't handle exams as it is (2nd year uni, it still applies...) and the teacher were making out we'd get nowhere in life without SATs. Sure, older, wiser and generally more cynical pupils were saying "don't be daft, they count for shit", but if you've got pressure from the staff it can be hard to cope.

That's not an anti-SATs rant, and I don't especially agree with Sofie that we get "nothing" from them, but I think some schools handle SATs very badly indeed.

I agree, some schools do, but it's important to bear in mind that you knew at the time they meant nothing for your future, it's important to be able to rationalise the value of any given exam. For example, my maths exam that's worth 60% of a module is much much more valuable than the themo exam that's worth 80% of that module, because of how I've done in coursework.
    Ballerina wrote:
    teachers always exaggerate the importance of SATs, its just a scare tactic to get you to do well
    all mine did was decide what sets i'd be in for english, maths and science GCSE and they still put me in the wrong english group

I found this as well. I was put in the tops stes for maths, english & science. After a term or so of maths, I asked to move down because I was really struggling, same with english. However, with english I got asked if I wanted to moved down and so I said that I'd move down. For science though, it was different - I was fine where I was but they did something so that with the exception of 2 sets, they were all mixed. I was put in a mixed set and did terribley because I wasn't being tauht what I needed to get double B at the end of Year 11.
    GRRR at Sats, it may be 10 years ago but I remember the stress the teachers put us through, constantly telling us how important they are, that they are an indicator for GCSE, that they will say what level of GCSE paper you could take...

Yeah, it's true that SATs are an indicator for GCSE sets, but like I mentioned above, that doesn't mean anything at all.
    Ive been revising like i said using sam learning and at the moment Ive come across some stuff i dont understand But i dont know where to learn this?
    CoolMe wrote:
    Ive been revising like i said using sam learning and at the moment Ive come across some stuff i dont understand But i dont know where to learn this?

You probably don't need to learn it then.
    Sofie wrote:
    I found this as well. I was put in the tops stes for maths, english & science. After a term or so of maths, I asked to move down because I was really struggling, same with english. However, with english I got asked if I wanted to moved down and so I said that I'd move down. For science though, it was different - I was fine where I was but they did something so that with the exception of 2 sets, they were all mixed. I was put in a mixed set and did terribley because I wasn't being tauht what I needed to get double B at the end of Year 11.

Yeah, it's true that SATs are an indicator for GCSE sets, but like I mentioned above, that doesn't mean anything at all.
    it was a bit weird for me, in year 8 and some of year 9 i was in the 2nd set for maths, but it was full of cheeky kids, along with an old crap teacher so i wasn't being taught anything, i was also the only 1 trying to work and was on the top/2nd set boarderline, so after ages of bugging them they moved me into the top set just before mock SATs which i struggled with. I found the top set work quite hard but i just about managed. I got a high level 6 by the end but was moved back down to 2nd set for year 10....with a different crap teacher, and again got behind. :( So i'm having to work twice as fast this year :(
    Then in english i was just off a level 7, so should have been in the top set (theres some in that set who got 5s!) and they put me in the middle set! So i told them that i should have been in the top set, so they put me in the 2nd set and i feel im not being pushed as much as i should be :(