Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mature students

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
What age does UCAS classify to be a mature student?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am thinking about applying this year for 2007 entry. I will be 21 in May 07. Does that mean that I would still be able to get student loans etc?
    Of course. Mature students are eligible for student loans - the only difference is that they still regard you as being financially dependent on your parents until you are 25 unless you can demonstrate that you lived independently for the past 3 years. So your loan would be means tested and you'd get the reduced rate loan if your parents earn more than the arbitrary threshold income.
    Thanks Kentish. I would get the basic loan if my parents income gets taken into account. I need to look into it properly and weigh it all up.
    I'm 21 now and so far, it has made no difference at all. If you have been financially independent for three years, that's when it starts to have effects. I haven't myself. I think you can make a claim for student loans and the like up to the age of 60. Presumably, this is all part of the Government's effort to open up higher education to as many people as possible.

It's an odd one though, this "mature students" question. UCAS may say it's 21, but many universities won't classify you as a mature student until you're 25, so it makes very little difference, if any at all.