Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

can you sue "travelers"

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I really wouldnt bother.
    I know its not nice, but you wont get anything out of them and theyll probably make your life a misery for it.

:yes:

You won't find a traveller that's doesn't want to be found and you certainly won't get any money from them.

Gypo, Pikey, Cacker - are all offensive terms - just call any traveller any of those names and see for yourselves.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    oh fuck off. some travellers are shitty, some aren't. same as any other community

The ones on official sites are alright, generally.

But few are, so that means most are shitty. As a community they do only give a shit about themselves, and fuck everyone else though.
  • Options
    Although some of you may consider it to be a derogatory term, the word p.aki, meant to describe a person from pakistan it seems is only offensive to people who are not from pakistan. People who actually are from there embrace the term, it only became a degoratory term when other people from that continent but not from pakistan used it to describe someone they didnt like much, same as most of the asian countries didnt like pakistan.
  • Options
    P- is an offensive and deeply racist term which is why it is banned on here. So is n-.

Stop trying to pretend it isn't. It is. If the Pakistani community have made steps to reclaim it for themselves then good for them, but it doesn't stop it being a vile word.

I wouldn't say gypo was as offensive as that, but its still pretty offensive.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I wouldn't say gypo was as offensive as that, but its still pretty offensive.

Gypo is a word that is deeply offensive to travellers, that's all we need to know.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Gypo is a word that is deeply offensive to travellers, that's all we need to know.

Well exactly.

I like my teeth, I know I wouldn't call one one.
  • Options
    The word Pakistan was created in 1947, but the word P.aki only became offensive during the 1960s when used by British tabloids to refer to immigrants in a derogotary and racist manner.

What book did you read that in? Twat.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Although some of you may consider it to be a derogatory term, the word p.aki, meant to describe a person from pakistan it seems is only offensive to people who are not from pakistan. People who actually are from there embrace the term, it only became a degoratory term when other people from that continent but not from pakistan used it to describe someone they didnt like much, same as most of the asian countries didnt like pakistan.

utter utter bollocks
  • Options
    No it's not, I suspect if you called someone from India pak.i they'd be much much more offended than someone who's actually from Pakistan.
  • Options
    go on, try it, I dare you. call any asian you don't know "p.aki" and see what response you get
  • Options
    i'd say if you're asian you could get away with calling another one p.aki, it's only usually perceived as derogatory if you dont know the person and/or are a different colour, it depends on the context (obviously if you call someone a f**king p.aki you will get a slap and rightly so), some asians are very conscious of the word and will mind, some won't......
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    go on, try it, I dare you. call any asian you don't know "p.aki" and see what response you get
    Where did I say it was unoffensive to everyone at the current time? I'm right, suck it up.
  • Options
    Well it might be ok in your book, but that doesn't make it any less racist.

Romany people are an ethnic group, and to give them slang offensive names like gypo is clearly racist and derogatory. Plenty of ignorant people don't understand why the word p.aki is offensive as it's just an abbreviation of Pakistani...but they're wrong.

Travellers in Ireland are White.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

I've done it when drunk. They looked pretty scared actually.
  • Options
    Probably because they thought you were about the assualt them; and why not it's a word steeped in violence, ignorance, racism and innumerable assaults, insults and attacks over the last 50 years.

Regardless of what it means to the rest of the world - it's viewed on these boards the way its usually intended in the UK- to degrade and insult, to define by rac by stereotyping others, to scare and to intimidate.

And a community can reclaim a word for their own use - it doesn't mean they want to be insulted to their face by it again.
  • Options
    And as an aside to Icey - the word, to my knowledge, came about through the tabloids of the 1960s in their complaints and insults to immigrants; it is seen as a UK term, not something with any antecedence in the post-1947 creation of the modern state of Pakistan.
  • Options
    you don't stand a chance trying to sue travellers,or get them arrested.they just rip you off and move on,thats what they do.
    i got ripped off for £300 a few months back and rang the police.complete waste of time!
    they could'nt track the traveller down and probably never will,so whats the point?

ive never met a decent traveller yet,and ive had dealings with hundreds of them over the years,they all seem programed to rip people off imo.thats not to say there arnt any decent ones,its just i have yet to meet one.

the travellers that i have met could'nt care less what you call them tbh,ive called them "gypo's" and they just laugh.

i think your dad will have to put the attack down to experience.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Where did I say it was unoffensive to everyone at the current time? I'm right, suck it up.

This makes no sense. :confused:
  • Options
    Mad Mac wrote:
    ive never met a decent traveller yet,and ive had dealings with hundreds of them over the years,they all seem programed to rip people off imo.thats not to say there arnt any decent ones,its just i have yet to meet one.

I've grown up with local boys off the site, and I'd trust many of them with my life. It depends if you know them or not. They're just wary of the gorger mate, it's their way.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    turlough wrote:
    Are you serious? Gypos are fucking loaded.

That is mostly true. They roll about in Range Rovers and Mercs.

Good luck suing them though, they'll claim discrimination and get away with it.

Plus, not ALL of them are scum. But as Kermit said, most of 'em are. There are some alright ones. But they are in the minority.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What book did you read that in? Twat.
    Wiktionary actually. :D

I feel insulted.
  • Options
    Der fucking skeets not a fucking note on any1 z01 says da nippos are clah!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    If someone is from Pakistan, they are Pakistani. Is P.aki an accetable abbreviation?

That was Blag's point.

i know plenty of people who refer to themselves as that :lol:

my best mate and i use the word half cast, my best mate is: once i used at uni peopel were like 'oooooh you're racist' whe nactually it's what ive been bought using to describe someone of that skin tone
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    That is mostly true. They roll about in Range Rovers and Mercs.

Good luck suing them though, they'll claim discrimination and get away with it.

Plus, not ALL of them are scum. But as Kermit said, most of 'em are. There are some alright ones. But they are in the minority.

you dont notice the good ones, they dont leave a mess and build semi permenent homes
  • Options
    i know plenty of people who refer to themselves as that :lol:

my best mate and i use the word half cast, my best mate is: once i used at uni peopel were like 'oooooh you're racist' whe nactually it's what ive been bought using to describe someone of that skin tone

Oh god, not this again. :banghead: Can't you see the difference between someone calling themselves something and someone else calling them that?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Oh god, not this again. :banghead: Can't you see the difference between someone calling themselves something and someone else calling them that?

i call him it, and if i refer to someone of that skin tone i use it

ive got some odd looks when its been used in conversation, but they realise i just grown up with it instead of mixed race
  • Options
    I was talking about the word "p.aki".
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Plenty don't have a problem with it...depending on how it's said.

Same with "jocks", "fenians", "orange bastards" etc etc. All depends on context.
  • Options
    Well yes, of course it depends on context. However, i still contend that if you call an asian person that you don't know a "p.aki", you're gonna get in some trouble.
  • Options
    Hello n pardon me for butting in to ur conversations but i do feel i hv to correct some misunderstandings about the word "Gyspy".
    As i Romany Gypsy myself , i DO take offence to the word "gypo" & "gypsy" as it was a word given to us by the non-Romany (Gorga) people! It is derived from the word "Egyptian" and was given to us as our ancerstors who looked to the European as Egyptians.
    So we instead prefer the term Romany Gyspy as this denotes our heritage, bt not all those living the nomadic or caravan life are Romany - many are Travellers. These are then the terms which should be used - bt be careful - Romany ARE different to Travellers n we dont take kindly to being referred to as Travellers!
    The Romany Gypsy is a distinct nomadic ethnic RACE with its own language, customs n traditions dating back even before Christ, we entered Europe over 900 yrs ago and have been established in the UK for over 500 yrs - we are proud, private, law-abiding, clean and pleasant people.
    We do not throw our rubbish by the road side, we do not thieve nor "scam" ppl and our women are treated with the upmost respect.
    If u no any person reporting to be a Romany gyspy who does any of the disgusting things above THEY ARE NOT ROMANY!
    We cheirsh and respect ourselves, all others and the earth on which we travel - so i'm afraid steretypical terms used towards us are just dat and ARE NOT a reflection of true Romany!
    I cannot speak for Trevellers nor "NEW AGE" only for my own ppl - however many are as law-abiding and respectful as us - bt der are always rotten apples in every barrel - n these should not be seen as the whole barrel!
    Hope i havnt offended anyone with my corrections and information - bt i feel we deserved to be understood correctly - my best wishes,
    Kushti bok! (Romanese)
This discussion has been closed.