Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Chernobyl Photographs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote:
    Are people that say humans are idiots or dumb (aladdin, moonrat) also stupid themselves?
    Read what I wrote.
  • Options
    "Humans are universally dumb."

Thats ok then they can carry on using nuclear power and ignore the opinion of a dumb person...
  • Options
    Her 'story' was pretty highly embellished, as it turns out. The photos are still worth a look though.
    Aladdin wrote:
    There is another sad but fascinating website set up by a girl biker who rode into the exclusion zone and the town of Chernobyl and took photographs. Very compelling stuff:
  • Options
    If it happened there it could happen here as well. Humans are universally dumb.
    Err, no.
  • Options
    90% of people affected by Chenobyl were affected badly by the radiation. Damaged immune systems, deseases, cancer, growth defects, etc.

But has anyone read about the 10% who were affected positively by it? Not at the time of course, but a generation or 2 later i think it is. This minority are taller, stronger, healthier and smarter then the average human. Kinda sci-fi i know, but was a fascinating article to read. If anyone knows where i can find it again could you let me know, i lost what website it was on :(
  • Options
    There was something similar happening to the animals according to the BBC link above. First generation animals were sick/deformed but later generations seem completely unaffected by the radiation.
  • Options
    I will have to have a closer look at the BBC link for it. Thanks Aladdin.

(lol just noticed, part of the furniture, lol)
  • Options
    If it happened there it could happen here as well. Humans are universally dumb.
    it has happenbed here in cumbria. not quite the same scale but still effecting places forty years on.
    there are fults at windscale right now ...but they carry on.
    wilfa power station on angelsey has weld faults and is operating beyond it's sell by date right now,
  • Options
    Didn't they recently transport a leaky nuclear plant component through half of Britain? One of those bizarre things but they said if the leak had been pointed sideways instead of downwards thousands of people who happened to be by the road as the lorry went past would have been exposed to high levels of radioactivity.
  • Options
    Business... Money... Business... then maybe safety of the people...
  • Options
    it has happenbed here in cumbria. not quite the same scale but still effecting places forty years on.
    there are fults at windscale right now ...but they carry on.
    wilfa power station on angelsey has weld faults and is operating beyond it's sell by date right now,
    Didn't know you were from Cumbria. So are you one of the lucky people with a 50% chance of getting cancer because of that shit-tip sellafield as well then?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Didn't they recently transport a leaky nuclear plant component through half of Britain? One of those bizarre things but they said if the leak had been pointed sideways instead of downwards thousands of people who happened to be by the road as the lorry went past would have been exposed to high levels of radioactivity.
    It didn't have a lid on it or something. How, seriously HOW would you not check that it was all sealed safely?
  • Options
    Didn't know you were from Cumbria. So are you one of the lucky people with a 50% chance of getting cancer because of that shit-tip sellafield as well then?
    no no ...not from cumbria ...i meant here as in the uk.
  • Options
    no no ...not from cumbria ...i meant here as in the uk.
    Oh well be glad then. 1 in 3 people get cancer, but that goes up to 1 in 2 here, which is apparently something to with the whole windscale thing. Haven't read into it much though.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    "Humans are universally dumb."

Thats ok then they can carry on using nuclear power and ignore the opinion of a dumb person...
    Well they're dumb too. *shrug*
  • Options
    And they say nuclear power is safe...

It is pretty safe, if they'd kept things running as per normal nothing would have happened and I saw something on discovery about the guy that ordered the whole tests and turning off of the safety equipment had a lot of personal issues, and problem in his personal life, etc

Really one person shouldn't have so much control over a power station like that.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sad, sad event. Worst disaster, EVER.

And yet we barley remember it. Either way... lucky it happened in the USSR... only place that probably would have been able to cope as well as it did with it, and make such dedicated people, be it to a false belief and hope. It is doubtful that it would have been as well dealt with anywhere but there. The analysis for the frace that would happen if such a large scale nuclear disaster hit an advanced western nation is worrying. But at least something 40x as powerful as a nuclear bomb means I won't have any radiation sickeness to cope with afterwards! :D I'll be vaporised particles! ... not sure what is better. :(

And lucky it didn't fuck us up more... the whole world's Nuclear community was thrown into turmoil when it happened... and now we have, luckily, learnt. Reactors all over the world were hastily modified.

You know about 300 people still live in the dead zone... right?

Either way, I love this site still - can move me quite badly: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

BTW: Whats happening with the building of the new Sarcophagus? It is BADLY needed... can they get the money? If not... we're a bit fucked.
  • Options
    IIRC (I think Wikipedia has something on it) there have been plans to build a better, longer lasting casing for some time now. It's an international effort and work is supposed to start soon-ish (but then they've been saying that for years).

Don't know exactly how they're going to build it though. With robots? Who would want to be hanging around by reactor no. 4 for any amount of time???
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    IIRC (I think Wikipedia has something on it) there have been plans to build a better, longer lasting casing for some time now. It's an international effort and work is supposed to start soon-ish (but then they've been saying that for years).

Don't know exactly how they're going to build it though. With robots? Who would want to be hanging around by reactor no. 4 for any amount of time???

stuff on it here:

http://www.nei.org/index.asp?catnum=3&catid=296

The Chernobyl Accident and Its Consequences

April 2006

Key Facts

n The 1986 accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine, then part of the former Soviet Union, is the only accident in the history of commercial nuclear power to cause fatalities from radiation. It was the product of a severely flawed Soviet-era reactor design combined with human error.

n Key differences in U.S. reactor design, regulation and emergency preparedness make it highly unlikely that a Chernobyl-type accident could occur in the United States.

n Twenty-eight highly exposed reactor staff and emergency workers died from radiation and thermal burns within four months of the accident, and 19 more by the end of 2004. Officials believe the accident also was responsible for some 4,000 cases of thyroid cancer.

n A landmark United Nations study published in September 2005 estimated that while 4,000 people theoretically could die from radiation-induced cancers, only 56 deaths could be attributed to radiation exposure from the accident. That total includes the 47 emergency workers mentioned above and nine people who died from thyroid cancer—most of whom were either children or adolescents at the time of the accident.

n Most emergency workers and people living in contaminated areas received relatively low whole-body radiation doses, comparable to natural background levels, according to the study.

n The study also found no evidence of increases in leukemia or other cancers, decreased fertility or congenital malformations.

n Apart from radiation impacts, “the largest public health problem created by the accident” was its effect upon the mental health of the 600,000 people living in affected areas at the time of the accident, the report found.

What Happened

The accident, which occurred in the early morning of April 26, 1986, resulted when operators took actions in violation of the plant’s technical specifications. Operators ran the plant at very low power, without adequate safety precautions and without properly coordinating or communicating the procedure with safety personnel.

The four Chernobyl reactors were pressurized water reactors of the Soviet RBMK design, or Reactor BolshoMoshchnosty Kanalny, meaning “high-power channel reactor.” Designed to produce both plutonium and electric power, they were very different from standard commercial designs, employing a unique combination of a graphite moderator and water coolant.

The reactors also were highly unstable at low power, primarily owing to control rod design and “positive void coefficient,” factors that accelerated nuclear chain reaction and power output if the reactors lost cooling water.

These factors all contributed to an uncontrollable power surge that led to Chernobyl 4’s destruction. The power surge caused a sudden increase in heat, which ruptured some of the pressure tubes containing fuel.

The hot fuel particles reacted with water and caused a steam explosion, which lifted the 1,000-metric-ton cover off the top of the reactor, rupturing the rest of the 1,660 pressure tubes, causing a second explosion and exposing the reactor core to the environment. The graphite moderator burned for 10 days, releasing a large amount of radiation into the atmosphere.

The Chernobyl plant did not have the massive containment structure common to most nuclear power plants elsewhere in the world. Without this protection, radioactive material escaped into the environment.

The crippled Chernobyl 4 reactor now is enclosed in a concrete structure that is growing weaker over time. Ukraine and the Group of Eight industrialized nations have agreed on a plan to stabilize the existing structure by constructing an enormous new sarcophagus around it, which is expected to last more than 100 years.

Officials shut down reactor 2 after a building fire in 1991 and closed Chernobyl 1 and 3 in 1996 and 2000, respectively.
  • Options
    BTW each of these red dots is a nuclear power reactor .. there's 443 of them world wide

world_map.png
  • Options
    wow i didnt know chernobyl was still functional after R4 blew its top.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    softworld wrote:
    wow i didnt know chernobyl was still functional after R4 blew its top.

Yeah. Why waste one of the worlds best powerplants because one of the reactors blew?

The rest were still fine mate! Only 4 was effed. Provided fucktons of power for ages!

Reactor 4... perhaps they'll build it wearing protective gear? They intent to cover the current sarcophagus right over anyway. Like a giant hanger over it. Hmm... either way, the Ukraine is poor. And that plan is expensive.

The worrying thing is... the procedure that caused the Chernobyl accident... had been done HUNDEREDS of times before with no accidents or effects. It worked every other time. Admitadley the reactor design was flawed... but... what caused a procedure done so many times to cock up? Just shows... no-one can ever sucesfully predict what any variables can do.

So: NEVER run saftey tests on your powerplant.