Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coffeehouse Challenge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is it?

The Coffeehouse Challenge has been developed by the RSA as a way for people to come together over coffee to talk about the issues they care about and maybe do something about them. It is to take place between May and July and has been organised in partnership with T-Mobile, ESSA, TimeBank, BBC Action Network and Starbucks. The idea is for you to bring together a group of students (say 6 or more) to talk about a chosen issue in a coffeehouse.

Where will it take place?

It can take place in a college location, an independent café or in a Starbucks store. Starbucks are one of the sponsors of the initiative so are happy to supply a venue (to be arranged through the RSA and subject to availability of a suitable store) and complimentary refreshments. Otherwise we can provide you with Starbucks coffee and you only need to supply crockery, milk and sugar and a coffee grinder! We will also supply materials you will need.

How do I facilitate?

Find another student who would like to share the organisation of this activity with you. Then contact the RSA as below. There is a lot of advice and practical support available for facilitators.

And then what?

It may be that your group feel that one discussion is sufficient and they don’t plan to meet again. However it may be that participants really engage in the issues and want to have further discussions and look for solutions. If this is the case you will make your own arrangements for future meetings. Financial awards will be made for the best ideas generated in discussions. Last year a not-for-profit car club for university students with vehicles fuelled by waste vegetable oil was an outcome of one of these discussion groups, and elsewhere a campaign evolved to encourage local people to buy fair trade goods.

What do I do first?

Contact Jacquie Howley at the RSA on 020 7451 6962 or email Jacquie.howley@rsa.org.uk to discuss the initiative and ask for a pack.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is cool.

I've passed it on to a couple of my friends who are involved in Universities...