Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I would like a phone and camera

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want a phone that has a camera. But not just a camera, its also a camera that has a phone. Mum broke the last digital camera in the house so now we're a bit buggered, and I cba getting a seperate phone and camera, hoping there was some cool phone out there with 3/4mp camera on it?

I'm not up to date with phones, but lets say as a ballpark figure I've got up to £200 to spend if its really worth it. - really thers no limit I just want value for money, spending £80 on a cx65 was the biggest waste of money ever. I should have spent £10 on another nokia 3510i...

So, phone + camera?

Comments

• Options
    2m/p is probably best atm.

3+m/p will probably be out this september.

SEw800i and that range is probably the best camera phone in terms of quality (software better than that of other SEs).

I actually have one for sale - but it's locked on Orange :p

I'm going for the N70 next as I want a smartphone. It has a 2mp camera.
  • Options
    is 2mp actually functional as a domestic / general purpose digital camera?

i should design a camera / phone combo.
  • Options
    2mp on a phone is never as good as on a proper camera.

However, check out some reviews and proper images from each camera-phone online (i.e google)

"N70 review" , "W800i review"

decent reviews will show you picture quality under various settings on the phone
  • Options
    Is there any make you want/don't want? Go on to the Carphone Warehouse website and you can tick boxes as to what you want you specification to be and they'll give you a list of phones they have.
  • Options
    I might just get a phone and a digital camera then. Sigh, so expensive (lol). Will look around though. The camera phones just dont seem to have the quality to them really.
  • Options
    Sharp 903 3megapixels

You can get in Ferarri red as well!!!!
  • Options
    vodaphone though? I'm thjinking of trying to find a really good tariff for next year, I'm going to be at uni and may get carried away texting / phoning my girlfriend.
  • Options
    Vodafone are doing a deal at the moment with texts for life..
  • Options
    So a seperate phone and camera?

I'm looking at the Nikon coolpix L4 camera - 3 megapixel etc., less than £100.

Not sure what phone :chin: something that works really quickly. I hate sluggish UIs etc.
  • Options
    I would never get a camera phone as my only camera. The quality is not so good. Get one of each.
  • Options
    So a seperate phone and camera?

I'm looking at the Nikon coolpix L4 camera - 3 megapixel etc., less than £100.

Not sure what phone :chin: something that works really quickly. I hate sluggish UIs etc.

Get a FujiFilm camera mate. You can get a 6mp camera for less than 100 squids!!!
    As for a phone if you want practicality get a Nokia phone.
    If you want good camera and sound, sony erricson W810i.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Get a FujiFilm camera mate. You can get a 6mp camera for less than 100 squids!!!
    As for a phone if you want practicality get a Nokia phone.
    If you want good camera and sound, sony erricson W810i.

unless your job is your camera, theres no point getting anything crazy and above 5mp for that cheap, considering you have to take into consoderation the memory card costs, if your pictures are going to be massive

i use this one, and its rather good
    http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/reviews/olympus_fe120_x700_review_by_digicamreviewcouk.php
  • Options
    Would you rate this one as a does-everything camera?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BKXP74/ref=br_lf_ce_1/203-7629374-4466361

All I really want it for is to stick in my pocket when I go out and take photos... but be able to take nice group shots of like the family / friends too.

One thing though, I would prefer a camera you can plug into a charger and recharge rather than having to change AA batteries every week. My old one was... http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002XNSU4/qid=1145462697/sr=1-47/ref=sr_1_2_47/203-7629374-4466361 that - but mum dropped it on the floor in the kitchen, when the floor was being changed so it was all concrete. Hehe.
  • Options
    Would you rate this one as a does-everything camera?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BKXP74/ref=br_lf_ce_1/203-7629374-4466361

All I really want it for is to stick in my pocket when I go out and take photos... but be able to take nice group shots of like the family / friends too.

One thing though, I would prefer a camera you can plug into a charger and recharge rather than having to change AA batteries every week. My old one was... http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002XNSU4/qid=1145462697/sr=1-47/ref=sr_1_2_47/203-7629374-4466361 that - but mum dropped it on the floor in the kitchen, when the floor was being changed so it was all concrete. Hehe.

aye thats a goodun
  • Options
    I think I prefer this one though because I'm used to using fujifilm cameras. Too much choice these days :( sigh. Lets have a lookie on ebay for some cheap 'uns then :)

and still looking for a nice all round phone
  • Options
    If you can wait a bit, then Sony Ericsson will be releasing the k800i under the Cybershot branding in June which has a 3.2 megapixel camera built in. Otherwise many 2MP camera phones are out now.

However, the quality of a phone camera won't be as good as a stand-alone compact of similar megapixelage because of the components involved.
  • Options

My friend has that camera phone - 2M pixel is fine however the lens is rubbish, good qualiy for a phone but nothing as good as a proper camera with a decent lens
  • Options

So long as you don't want anything printed out larger than a postcard, you could probably get by with a camera phone, but for anything more important you should have a proper camera.

Half of the problem is the size of the sensor, and the sensor cells that light falls on to when the picture is taken. Even with the best lenses, a quality camera will always win out, because of the better, larger, sensors - same reason why a DSLR will pick up more detail than a compact with the same MP.

I'd say a camera phone might be handy for those snaps that you wouldn't otherwise get because you don't want to carry a camera. A lot of pictures of events these days are captured on camera phones because that's what people have.
  • Options
    Yea I think now I'm going to get a standalone camera and a phone... not sure which phone though :chin: or camera :lol:
  • Options
    Do you have any idea yet as to what features you'd like your phone to have? Don't't most phones nowadays have cameras anyway?
  • Options
    PC connectivity, bluetooth dongle would be useful. Something easy to use. Something that doesn't break. *shrug* I dont have much faith in phones these dys. They all hae a battery life of about a day - on standby - and you only ever use the smallest portion of the features.
  • Options
    Pictures taken on normal settings with the Nokia N70

63920665_ad6138f6a0_m.jpg

63920645_9d6db699fb_m.jpg

63920650_966b256fbd_m.jpg

63920646_9a89075d3f.jpg
  • Options
    The problem with the camera phone bj is I was reckoning on something that I could use as a good quality camera, was hoping there was a high quality camera attatched to a phone out there. The cameras on phones at the moment, whilst serving their purpose well, aren't much more than glamourised webcams :/.

But thanks for the shots anyway :).
  • Options
    Sorry for all of the questions, but:
    Do you want this phone on PAYG, contract or sim free?
  • Options
    The problem with the camera phone bj is I was reckoning on something that I could use as a good quality camera, was hoping there was a high quality camera attatched to a phone out there. The cameras on phones at the moment, whilst serving their purpose well, aren't much more than glamourised webcams :/.

But thanks for the shots anyway :).

Those images aren't full size sonny Jim :p

In full size, they look nice
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Sorry for all of the questions, but:
    Do you want this phone on PAYG, contract or sim free?

*shrug*

sim free would be nice i spose. heh
  • Options
    Had a quick look on the Carphone Warehouse website last night and every (if not, most) phone had a camera of some sort with it...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Had a quick look on the Carphone Warehouse website last night and every (if not, most) phone had a camera of some sort with it...

Yea, I've decided to get a standalone camera now, as since its built for the purpose it will just simply work better :)

So a nice phone that just works is what I'm looking for. A nokia would be nice, as I have a 3510i and it was bombproof (unlike my siemens phone) - that is until I dropped the 3510i in some water, anyway.

I got my siemens cx65, cos it had a big screen, camera, internet capabilities, etc etc. - in practice its absolute shite. It randomly turns off, none of the functions really work. If I try to look / take a photo it says not enough memory (theres more than enough). Nothing about this phone works.

So looking for a nice new one that works properly, would be nice if it had a clear screen so I can see things on it. Other than that, I dont think I need much. (on my nokia 3510i I had a picture of my girlfriend as the backgroud picture - I just uploaded it onto the net and downloaded it via wap!)
  • Options
    If you upload a picture to Photobucket, you can make the picture mobile, you email a code to a number and download it that way. It costs you £1 and the code will be valid for an hour. This is what I do.

I have a Motorola V220 which is good. Mine was Sim Free. It has a decent camera, video (can't take video though; can only watch & store them) and you can make your own ringtones. However, it doesn't have Bluetooth, but you can get a cabel for it to transfer stuff from the PC to the phone and vice versa.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    If you upload a picture to Photobucket, you can make the picture mobile, you email a code to a number and download it that way. It costs you £1 and the code will be valid for an hour. This is what I do.

I have a Motorola V220 which is good. Mine was Sim Free. It has a decent camera, video (can't take video though; can only watch & store them) and you can make your own ringtones. However, it doesn't have Bluetooth, but you can get a cabel for it to transfer stuff from the PC to the phone and vice versa.

:eek2:

No no no!!

upload it to imageshack or somewhere free, write down the url (http://www.imageshack.us/image) or something, then type it into your WAP browser and it will say there is a download do you want to download, say yes. Completely free :cool:

I'm not sure I trust any make other than nokia. Actually, my girlfriend just got a nice one... cant remember the make now :p. It slides! But it doesn't break!!! Siemens are absolute piles of shit. Whats a cheap and cheerful but goes for ages kinda phone? With a nice screen, preferably :)