Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ahhhhh. Uniform for A-Levels.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
My bf told me this morning that next year, my school is going to be issuing uniform for the sixth form aswell, consisting of t-shirts and tracksuits. I really don't know if this is a wind up - he's already in upper-sixth, and has to wear a tracksuit, but thats because he's doing a sports-science qualification. Plus this is the first I've heard of it.

It sounds pretty stupid if it's true - because surely when you're doing your A-Levels, school is no longer compulsory, and they can't really make you do anything, except kick you off your course if you don't turn up. And I'm doing kinda arty-farty intellectual subjects - Art, R.E., Eng Lang and Psychology - why would I need a tracksuit, for goodness sake.

If this isn't a wind-up, do you lot reckon I could be kicked out for not wearing this stuff? It's making me want to change colleges - I've had enough of uniform.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You shouldn't have to wear a uniform. We don't, we have a dress code but anything can basically be worn.
    erm theres a couple of schools in the durham area where the 6th form wear a uniform, a basic one, but a uniform none the less

just because you chose to attend their institution, doesnt mean you automatically get the right to wear whatever you want, that right is given to you by them
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    My first secondary school sixth form had to wear a uniform, and although you are thinking now that it would be shit, believe me trying to think what to wear to college was a nightmare at 7.30 in the morning. I would have preferred a uniform. But tracksuits do seem a bit odd!
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    My first secondary school sixth form had to wear a uniform, and although you are thinking now that it would be shit, believe me trying to think what to wear to college was a nightmare at 7.30 in the morning. I would have preferred a uniform. But tracksuits do seem a bit odd!

This is a fair point actually.

As for tracksuits - it would depend on what A levels you were taking. I mean, you wouldn't exactly turn up in jeans to do PE, would you?
    I had to wear full school uniform at my sixth form, and they can invite you to leave for not complying with it. After all, you don't have to be there, you choose to be, so if you don't like it you can lump it.

They can insist on a dress code, but I think your bf is winding you up.
    :-)
    i personally didnt have to wear a uniform but i know lots of people who did. although i really cant see them telling you you have to wear a tracksuit... either way, it doesnt really make much difference, youve been wearing uniform up til now, a couple more years wont hurt.
    just ask whoever your head of sixth form will be when u start back to school. they can make you wear uniform if it's school policy. i was always getting told off for not wearing uniform when i was in sixth form - but that was mainly coz that particular teacher always thought i was my year 9 sister. :yeees:
    I wore a uniform from primary school all the way up to upper sixth. Be grateful you're even getting the chance to do A-levels.
    just ask whoever your head of sixth form will be when u start back to school. they can make you wear uniform if it's school policy. i was always getting told off for not wearing uniform when i was in sixth form - but that was mainly coz that particular teacher always thought i was my year 9 sister. :yeees:

Seriously?

Even if you didn't have to wear a uniform, there would probably be times when you'd had to wear certain stuff anyway, like when doing PE or sports stuff.

And like it has already mentioned, even if there wasn't a uniform, there'd be some form of dress code.

And when you go for the course checks (just after you get your exam results) they should explain the uniform/dress cord to you - this is what they did with me anyway.
    I was allowed to wear my own clothes in college but I know many places that had a dress code.
    we have a dress code but because there is no enforcement of it its got a bit ridiculous now at our college. its like an every day fancy dress party. (im not kidding)

if you took a job, its not compulsory, but there may still well be a dress code, and you have to adhere to it. thats how it goes im afraid.
    I had a uniform up until 6th Form, from then on through my A-Levels we had to wear a suit and tie. Had to be a school tie in the first year but then they changed the rules so we could wear our own ties. Lucky us.
    Hmm :s. It all sounds a bit fishy to me - the current sixth-formers are waltzing around in flip-flops and board-shorts, and my year hasn't been told anything about this by any of the teachers.. it would be a bit unfair for them to introduce a uniform when we move up in September - they've already got rid of study-leave for our year. Ah well, I'll have to ask around when I get back next week.
    FilthyChav wrote:
    Hmm :s. It all sounds a bit fishy to me - the current sixth-formers are waltzing around in flip-flops and board-shorts, and my year hasn't been told anything about this by any of the teachers.. it would be a bit unfair for them to introduce a uniform when we move up in September - they've already got rid of study-leave for our year. Ah well, I'll have to ask around when I get back next week.

Why would it be unfair? Maybe they just realised that they need to introduce a uniform or at least have a very strict dress code.
    When I was in the 6th form we voted to bring back school uniform because none of us could be bothered to think what to wear in the morning. It did however get blocked by the lower 6th who hadn't had a whole year of trying to think what to wear every morning.
    They had to get rid of study leave at our school because crime rocketed every time it was on :lol:
    We had a "uniform" in sixth form which was basically that anything navy, blue or white goes "within reason" (as the lower school uniform was navy and green). Cue lots of rule flouting by people wearing jeans, tracksuits etc. I think schools usually meet pupils halfway by still having a "dress code" but not enforcing a specific uniform, depends from place to place though. Even if there is a uniform, people will still find a way to project their perceived superiority by spending £200 on a hideous bag etc... ah, how I don't miss school.

I know a few schools where suits were mandatory through Sixth Form like Rich mentioned. I wouldn't have liked that at all, ha ha ha. ;)
    Sofie wrote:
    You shouldn't have to wear a uniform. We don't, we have a dress code but anything can basically be worn.

why shouldn't they have to wear a uniform?

my sister had to wear a suit to her 6th form.
    one of my friends had to wear full school uniform, including kilt, til she finished her A levels.

they got a different coloured kilt in the 6th form though.

:lol:
    why shouldn't they have to wear a uniform?

my sister had to wear a suit to her 6th form.

Why should they? It's not as if 6th form is compulsary, is it?
    Sofie wrote:
    Why should they? It's not as if 6th form is compulsary, is it?

why does that make a difference?
    kaffrin wrote:
    why does that make a difference?

exactly.

work isn't compulsory either, yet many of us have a uniform of some description.
    Im with the "why should you wear a uniform" side of the arguement. You would'nt get universities enforcing everyone to wear suits to lectures, or no one would ever turn up.

and whats with having no study leave, does that mean you have to be in school from 9-3.30 everyday throughout the 6th form including the summer term?? i would go to college if i were you.
    olaola wrote:
    and whats with having no study leave, does that mean you have to be in school from 9-3.30 everyday throughout the 6th form including the summer term?? i would go to college if i were you.

I guess it depends where you are. At the school I attend, we're allowed to go home but have to be in morning & afternoon registration, unless we're at another school for our lessons. If I was allowed, I wouldn't come in on a Monday at all because I have no lessons all day. Because we have to be in registration, I end up hanging around until 2.05pm.

IIRC, at my school they are thinking of making it so that we're not allowed to sign during the day, which would be rubbish, tbh.
    I had to wear uniform for sixth form at Aylesbury Grammar 'but so trying hard to act like a private' School. And it sucked big time in the summer cos we'd boil!. The girls school accross the road didnt have to wear anything...uniform wise that is ;)

We technically had to remain in school during our free periods but i rarely did cos i lived so close.
    the sixth forms in my area all wear uniforms
    They had to get rid of study leave at our school because crime rocketed every time it was on :lol:
    they've got rid of study leave everywhere now - cause they reckon no one ever revises....so we have to stay at school and revise
    and they'll probably still moan if we do better again :rolleyes:
    back in the day, we were given study leave as early as year 10, for our mock gcse's.

in 6th form you could go home when you didnt have lessons etc. either everythings changed very recently, or Hertfordshire schools are very relaxed
    i went to a mixture between a 6th form and a college which was good. we could go home between lessons etc and had a form/register thing twice a week.