Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

cystitis or water infection?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
today ive been feeling run down and off food. But not bedridden. and its been stinging when i pee. My mum says its either cystitis or a water infection. Whats the difference? Plus i don't know what to do as its bank holiday so theres no doctors and my dance show starts next week :(

Comments

• Options
    as far as i was aware they are the same thing?

anyway, you can buy over the counter remedies for cystitis, and most chemists should be open tomorrow.

failing that, drink plenty of water and cranberry juice :yes:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    as far as i was aware they are the same thing?

anyway, you can buy over the counter remedies for cystitis, and most chemists should be open tomorrow.

failing that, drink plenty of water and cranberry juice :yes:
    its pretty ironic because i was talking to a girl last thursday about cystitis and how cranberry juice helps. How long does it take to clear up with remedies? My show starts on wedesday and its the dress rehersal tuesday.
  • Options
    It wont take long to flush it our your system so to speak, providing that is it a simple infection. so just drink lots for a couple of days and it should be fine for your show :) Mine lasted about a day and a half when i had that kinda thing
  • Options
  • Options
    yeah its not absolute agony when i pee...just stings, and every now and then i get a stingy/itchy sensation.
    I'm going to a chemist later and see what they suggest. I remember seeing something advertised on tv for it. I'm going to try cranberry juice too.
    My mum also said it could be caused by sex....but the last time was 2 weeks ago so i don't think it was?
  • Options
    Good advice about treating cystitis from other users. Lots of fluids to dilute the urine & try to avoid strong tea, coffee, alcohol, and fizzy drinks.
    TheSite has a good article on it: Cystitis

:thumb:
  • Options
    i went to the pharmasist this morning, they said they weren't sure if i had cystitis because i wasn't needing to go to the loo more often, but had pretty much the rest of the symptoms so it probably was
    anyway...they gave me this tablet...£6.99 for 1 tablet! Crazy...seems to be helping though. Not stinging so much now :) i'm drinking water + cranberry juice too
  • Options
    1 tablet-£6.99???? Sounds suspiciously like Fluconazole, and thats for thrush!
    If you described soreness, itchyness, pain down there they may think its thrush, but cystitis is usually a burning sensation on passing water and the need to pee more often.
    Cystitis is usually treated with sachets of either sodium or potassium based cranberry drinks such as Cystopurin, Oasis, Caneston etc etc.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    1 tablet-£6.99???? Sounds suspiciously like Fluconazole, and thats for thrush!
    If you described soreness, itchyness, pain down there they may think its thrush, but cystitis is usually a burning sensation on passing water and the need to pee more often.
    Cystitis is usually treated with sachets of either sodium or potassium based cranberry drinks such as Cystopurin, Oasis, Caneston etc etc.
    yeah that was it, she said it should stop the burning ect, i told her about the stinging pee and that i thought it was cystitis....but because i said i didn't have to pee more often but that the rest of the symptoms they wouldn't give me something for cystitis and gave me thrush stuff instead :confused:
    seems to have worked though