Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting a job with criminal record

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering if anybody knows how much effort if any companies in England go to in looking into employees records. I am considering moving over from Ireland where I have been in some trouble and want to give myself a fresh start - I have family over there. I am thinking that it would be easier to get a job away from home due as I don't think the record would be available. Any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    I never had problem finding a job, also my record was suppose to be clean after 2 years as it was just for a bit of smoke... I think it will depends on the kind of job you are looking for, I have been to a lot of interview for different kind of job and they never asked me anything about that kind of stuff.... I don't think much company really look deep into your life unless it is a really high paid job or if you have big responsabilities...
  • Options
    Over here most of the jobs I was looking at had questions about criminal convictions on the application form so I seemed to be getting nowhere. Got 1 interview where I bluffed it but don't know how convincing I was and didn't get the job. I'm just looking for a decent job - nothing major but with decent money and a future I suppose.
  • Options
    A lot of companies will check, if you are going to be working with money especially. Nobody wants to employ a shoplifter on their tills.

It depends what your convictions are for, to be quite honest. They expire after a certain number of years anyway.
  • Options
    Well it was assault causing harm (equivalent to ABH) and criminal damage. Ended up getting 10 months inside with 6 suspended so it was serious enough. Not proud of any of it but I'm just looking for a break to get things back on track and it's not happening for me here at the moment.
  • Options
    aye the place i work now wanted a CRB check as did the college i used to work at, lucky i never picked up a conviction in my misspent youth or i'd never have got either job.........depends on the type of job you're going for really, good luck mate everyone deserves a second chance and you don't get many in this life........
  • Options
    aye the place i work now wanted a CRB check as did the college i used to work at, lucky i never picked up a conviction in my misspent youth or i'd never have got either job.........depends on the type of job you're going for really, good luck mate everyone deserves a second chance and you don't get many in this life........

I presume though that the CRB would only have access to records from the UK - not say from Ireland so just wondering how that would work. Prison was bad enough but the old thing about doing your time and moving on isn't so easy when you always keep your past with you. It's no wonder why alot of people end up getting back in trouble when they don't get a chance of a fresh start.
  • Options
    shane999 wrote:
    I presume though that the CRB would only have access to records from the UK - not say from Ireland so just wondering how that would work. Prison was bad enough but the old thing about doing your time and moving on isn't so easy when you always keep your past with you. It's no wonder why alot of people end up getting back in trouble when they don't get a chance of a fresh start.

yeah it's pretty shitty like that, my step-brother's had a few problems and got done for ABH amongst other things (he was lucky not to go to jail cos it could have been much worse), last time i saw him he seemed like he'd changed for the better but i heard recently he's still struggling, i think he can't see a better way so he's stuck in this cycle of messing his life up and then blaming the world for all his woes.........at the end of the day if you want to start fresh you have to just stick with it, easier said then done but i wish you all the best......

ETA: yeah i think CRB only covers the UK but only one way to find out, you can actually go down the nick and apply for one personally to see if they have anything on you, then you'll know for certain........only costs a tenner.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I have never owned up to having a CR in my aplications, and I've always got away with it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Depends what kinda job you wanna do. If you want to do a trade, i.e plumber, builder etc then you should be ok
  • Options
    Just be honest about it mate, most interviewers will appreciate that.
    There is no point in trying to cover it because most companies now do a check automatically, esp if it's a retail, government, security, airport job, most companies have this new HR software called Peoplesoft, which when your details are put in, does a search automatically and will refuse or clear depending on how important the conviction is to the job you applied for.

I suggest you do a quick course in what the "nice girl" above suggested, and get a CSCS license so you can work on building sites etc...
    You can also contact the Princes Trust, they deal with offenders and offer money towards the course and help you set up your own business...
    Loads of opportunities mate, you just gotta go and search...

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. Before this i was working in retail and sales but i have done a bit of building and site work before so it may be easier to start back with that.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    I suggest you do a quick course in what the "nice girl" above suggested

That's me :angel: :p