Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Shower gel or bodywash?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This may or may not be a really stupid question, but:

What's the difference between shower/bath gel and bodywash?

You use them both to lather on a sponge and wash yourself right? My mum seems to think you're supposed to use shower gel to run under the tap to create bubbles but how can you/what's the point of making bubbles in a SHOWER? And that's what bubble bath is for in a BATH.

Now i'm wondering if i've been being a right thicko by using the shower gel as soap to wash.

Comments

• Options
    I have no idea either. I've always wanted to know this.
  • Options
    try reading the instructions on the bottle of shower gel and body wash

they will say pretty much the same thing, lather up into hands or sponge/body puff and use to wash the body :razz:
  • Options
    Well my shower gel says nothing of the sort!

And it still doesn't explain why they don't just call it "bodywash"!
  • Options
    They are both used to wash the body. they both do the same job! they both lather and they both clean the skin

It doesnt make a difference

but i think that body wash is more aimed at bath use, and shower gel is more aimed at shower use
  • Options
    Yeah what blah said sounds right.

Shower gel=for showers and Body Wash= more for bathing.

But tbh it doesn't matter which you use, they do the same job and make you smell yummy and nice!
  • Options
    Shower gels and bodywashes are the same - liquid soap for the body. You don't use them in the bath water itself - that's what 'bubblebath' is for - running under the taps to create bubbles.

You can use showergels/bodywashes for shaving as well as washing. And then use things like 'bath soaks' and 'bubblebaths' for bathing and relaxing in.

Ilora x
  • Options
    there is no difference between the two
  • Options
    Banana Bee wrote:
    Now i'm wondering if i've been being a right thicko by using the shower gel as soap to wash.

No don't worry i'm pretty sure you're ment to do this :thumb:

annnd if you get the Original Source ones they smell so yum that you want to eat yourself or something.
  • Options
    I like using Lux the one with the wee beads in it.
  • Options
    i love dove!! used a palmolive one the other day,cos i ran out+i noticed the difference straight away,yuck!
  • Options
    bubble baths, showergels and bodywashes are all pretty much the same thing.
  • Options
    It's all just jargon.

They figure you'll be walking down the toiletry aisle in Tesco and think "ooh haven't had a bodywash before, must try it out" when in fact you've got 11million half-used showergels festering in your bathroom cupboard.

Well, the geniuses in these marketing departments have got to earn their whopping salaries somehow... :lol: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i love the foamburst thingys, original source do them too. they come out in a shaving foam gel stylee and then they foam up! :D
  • Options
    Hehe, I love them! They smell really nice too! :D
  • Options
    The Tea Tree and Mint shower gel from Orignal Source always wakes me up and leaves me feeling really refreshed!

'It's like being caught naked in a hail storm of mint imperials'
  • Options
    I love the captions they have on the bottles :heart:

It's like being tied to a tea tree and pelted with sherbert lemons
  • Options
    bubble baths, showergels and bodywashes are all pretty much the same thing.
    Nope, bubblebaths aren't meant to be used to wash with - can cause skin irritation. Showergels and bodywashes however are soaps, used for washing.

Bubble baths are to be put into running water not directly onto the body.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Some body washes are bubble baths. Or pretty much its a body wash that stays bubbly in water and smells yummier than most.

I've bought a few different ones that are body wash and bubble bath. They say it right on the bottle :p

I did have one time though a body wash/bubble bath that had a warning on it that said it may cause urinary tract infections. Therefore I never used it as a bubble bath again. I dont need to be sitting in a pool of possible pee infectors.

And as for shower gels vs body washes. Shower gels are more gel like whereas body washes are more creamy, in my experience.
  • Options
    Nope, bubblebaths aren't meant to be used to wash with - can cause skin irritation. Showergels and bodywashes however are soaps, used for washing.

Bubble baths are to be put into running water not directly onto the body.

Ilora x
    oh ilora, you are SO overly into rules. Dont believe everything you read. All bubble baths, showergels,shampoos, soaps and bodywashes can and often do cause skin irritation. The fact is, most of them dont. If you dont have sensitive skin, youre much better off buying bubblebath in a big bottle for less money and using it for all purposes (except maybe shampoo unless you have really short hair). If you have sensitive skin, youre probably better off just using plain water.
  • Options
    Having had psoriasis since birth, I am very cautious as to what I put onto my skin. I don't see the point in washing myself in bubblebath, when it's for making bubbles in bathwater, when we have shower gels designed specifically for washing our bodies with. :chin: It's not exactly expensive, so why not buy one of each and use each one for the purpose it was intended? :rolleyes:

Ilora x
  • Options
    because you dont need to.

With psorasis, surely youre better off using a specific product - probably nothing you can get in the toiletry aisle.
    If you have a skin condition its a bit different to having normal skin, and the difference between bubble bath and shower gel is likely to be so minute, that its not gonna make any difference at all. I often use bubble bath as shower gel or vice versa, and i often use shampoo as bubble bath, and ive washed my sons hair with bubble bath in the past too cos I love the smell of johnsons blue baby bath and wanted him to smell of it completely.

Nobody in my household has ever had any problem from doing this, nor have i noticed any difference in skin dryness or condition tbh.