Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do drugs improve your personality?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i know of a few out and out violent drunks ...who have changed remarably for the better by taking up the weed.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ancient Mexicans used to take hallucignogenic drugs so they could come closer to their Gods. Drugs in general could make a religious person even more religious.

I used to be a hardcore atheist until I experimented with drugs (particularly skunk, shrooms, ecstacy), after which I felt and recognised (what I assume was latent) spirituality within me...I do not now claim to know which religion is the true faith etc, nor even the nature of 'God,' but I do feel that such a force/entity exists.

IMO drugs can certainly improve your personality (although it effects everyone differently etc etc). In my own experiences, the first few times I experiented with drugs I gained great insight into other people and myself. Indeed, I think (again for some people) 'bad' experiences, particularly introspective ones, can offer a great deal - e.g. recognising how you truly feel towards somebody, why you act the way you do in certain situations, and on a more extreme level what drives people to do terrible things.

What is important is realising:
    1) Larger quantities of drugs/higher doses will not enhance your personality in relativity, and are very likely to detract from it
    2) Extensive periods using (especially the same) drug will ruin the agent for you, and you will have lost a valuable tool to gain insight and enjoyment
    3) Addiction does not only detract from your personality (in terms of mind altering drugs) but dominates and directs it. Few will respect an addict.
    4) Taking drugs in certain situations will stunt your interaction with others and therefore your personality (temporarily). I'm talking about things like paranoia from skunk, cocaine fuelled arrogance, amphetamine comedown, etc.
    5) If you are spending money on drugs that is beyond your means you will certainly detract from your personality, because you will not have the oppurtunity to get involved in other personality enhancing activities (e.g. travelling, sport, or whatever floats your boat).
    6) Finally many women/girls (this is obviously from a males' perspective!) will disregard/dismiss you as a potential partner because they disapprove of drug use. Similarly friends or relatives may ostracise or disrespect you through prejudice (or genuine bad experience). Whilst, therefore, it is not the drug's actual effect, but the attitude of others, your personality may take a knockback as your social connections are strained. Alternatively you can make new friends through drug use that enhance your personality.

love to all
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ancient Mexicans used to take hallucignogenic drugs so they could come closer to their Gods. Drugs in general could make a religious person even more religious.
    There are also indiginous (sp) tribes who use them to get in touch with the spirits of the plants and animals around them. The guy on that 'tribe' program did it, although I can't remember the plant he used? I'm sure someone will know it...
  • Options
    There are also indiginous (sp) tribes who use them to get in touch with the spirits of the plants and animals around them. The guy on that 'tribe' program did it, although I can't remember the plant he used? I'm sure someone will know it...
    the most awsome one i've read about and seen docued on the telly was ibogain ...something like that.
    not sure at my age my mind needs that right now!
    awsome sounding journey.
  • Options
    Yeah I recognise that name. It's from the iboga plant apparently.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ibogaine/ibogaine.shtml

Makes you look inwards and face your demons and what-not.
  • Options
    Yeah I recognise that name. It's from the iboga plant apparently.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ibogaine/ibogaine.shtml

Makes you look inwards and face your demons and what-not.
    thats the one.
    maybe wheni was younger ...and i've already faced most if not all my demons which is a nice place to be a nice feeling.
    so i'll pass this time ...
  • Options
    Aspire wrote:
    For example, I used to be pretty quiet in my early teenage years (13-15) but since I started smoking weed I found it a lot easier to communicate with people and add more in discussions with a load of people.

When I started doing coke at 17 I found myself becoming more and more confident (both on and off the drugs), I've spoke to my mates about this and a couple of them said they felt the same.. but I'm unsure if it's the drugs improving my personality, a psychological thing or I'm just getting older and not caring less.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

quite honestly i dont think it make your more outgoing... it just gives you a general understanding of yourself. since ive been smoking ive learned every single aspect of my mood, personality, emotions etc. understanding myself has made me more comfortable which in turn makes me more outgoing. and coke just has always made me feel good and ive had some real good heart to hearts with people.. and even though ive had these experiences and drug induced conversations, its all real... drugs can kind of just cut through the bullshit and get to the root of peoples true feelings
  • Options
    uppa22 wrote:
    ... . since ive been smoking ive learned every single aspect of my mood, personality, emotions etc. its all real... drugs can kind of just cut through the bullshit and get to the root of peoples true feelings
    there is some truth in what your saying. illegal drugs can be theraputic ...that is why the term self medicating is becoming more common.
    i believe my love of cannabis all these years is simply because it is MY MEDICINE.
    some people are taking valium ...some people are taking pain killers ...some people are taking anti depresants. weed covers all these things for me ...the trouble is ...the side effects are pleasant and it isn't an industrial drug ...therefore it has to be illegal.
    cannabis eases my back pain relaxes my body and stimulates my mind in a very pleasurable manner.
    no industrial drug will do this.
    i recently had blood tests ...perfect liver and kidney results.
    perfect for a man half my age which my gp always finds amusing.
    he agrees with me thaqt if i had been using an industrial drug/drugs for thirty seven years ...it is very doubtful i would be so healthy.
    so yes ...cannabis ...for me ...has been of great bennefit for the last thirty seven years.
  • Options
    the title of this thread would be more meaningful if the do ...was replaced with can.
  • Options
    I know this sounds stupid but recently I cant string a sentance together without stuttering. I never used to be like that, I dont know if its the drugs or the fact that Ive got low self esteem or what but when I go to say something, especially if Im talking to someone Ive not spoke too before I get things jumbled in my head and project it to the point where Im stuttering. Especially when talking on the phone, I hate talking to people on the phone I dont know. Does anyone else get that?
  • Options
    tatty wrote:
    Does anyone else get that?

I used to have it, it's definately something to do with pills. A few of my mates are starting to get it pretty bad, and it's funny talking to them on the phone.

My dealer, he's the worst for it, talks the biggest load of shit ever, can't string two words together without stuttering and going into a fit.