Home Politics & Debate
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Religious people know they are full of shit.

1356717

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    Discuss.

    I was having a "debate" with some godbotherer who came knocking on my door, and instead of my usual of getting them to worship satan, I decided to be more confrontational. (What, me? :p )

    About halfway through I could see it in his eyes that he knew it was all bollocks and he was basically desperate for someone to convince him his rubbish was just that, so he could get some freedom.

    Then I realised that every other religious type I have ever met didn't really believe what they were shovelling either.

    So, do you think anyone really believes in religious teaching or am I right to claim that no one does?

    How can you say what a fish thinks? You are not a fish.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Delusion is a human concept, and is culturally fluid. Do you have any idea how silly (and circular) your argument is becoming?

    Tosh.
    How can you say what a fish thinks? You are not a fish.

    :confused:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    Tosh.
    Wow, sophisticated and circular.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dismissive AND irrelevent. WoW!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    :confused:
    Think about it... It's not rocket science... It's a Chinese proverb, although I can't remember the exact wording.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You said:
    klintock wrote:
    your family is all fucking mental, is cruelly lying to you OR you are broken in some way, because they can all sense things you can't.

    I said you're wrong.

    You said:
    klintock wrote:
    What facts are you basing this on?

    I don't need facts to show that religious families are not "fucking mental" as you put it, that aren't "broken" as you put it. And not that they sense things, they don't sense nothing. It's not like they can actually physical feel the presence of God. It's a spiritual thing.
    Now I am asking you, what facts have you got that prove these people are "fucking mental" and "broken" cos I know a lot of normal intelligent Christian people and families.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't need facts to show that religious families are not "fucking mental" as you put it, that aren't "broken" as you put it. And not that they sense things, they don't sense nothing. It's not like they can actually physical feel the presence of God. It's a spiritual thing.

    :rolleyes:
    Now I am asking you, what facts have you got that prove these people are "fucking mental" and "broken" cos I know a lot of normal intelligent Christian people and families.

    The mere fact that the claim something exists that obviously doesn't is proof that they are insane. Simple.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So they are mental and borken okey dokey.

    As there are no right or wrong answer in the world, I declare that Klintock is full of shit and he can't prove otherwise. :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So if you think I am wrong we need an arbiter, a way of deciding who is correct.

    I reckon we look at observable, factual reality and see who is right.

    Oh, it's me.......what a surprise.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    I don't need facts to show that religious families are not "fucking mental" as you put it, that aren't "broken" as you put it. And not that they sense things, they don't sense nothing. It's not like they can actually physical feel the presence of God. It's a spiritual thing.
    Now I am asking you, what facts have you got that prove these people are "fucking mental" and "broken" cos I know a lot of normal intelligent Christian people and families.

    My thoughts exactly. And you can't prove that they're all mental, can you?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My thoughts exactly. And you can't prove that they're all mental, can you?

    Yep. Easy.

    Do you believe that there is a god, even though you can produce no evidence?

    If the answer is yes, then we have a nutter. If the answer is no, then we don't have a religious person.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    Yep. Easy.

    Do you believe that there is a god, even though you can produce no evidence?

    If the answer is yes, then we have a nutter. If the answer is no, then we don't have a religious person.

    And nuttiness can be measured with a nut-meter yeh? :confused:
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    turlough wrote:
    And nuttiness can be measured with a nut-meter yeh? :confused:
    Is that like the BS Meter?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just used the DSM 4 criteria.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    I just used the DSM 4 criteria.

    You must be on about this:

    "Diagnostic criteria for 295.60 (Schizophrenia) Residual Type
    (cautionary statement)
    A type of Schizophrenia in which the following criteria are met:

    A. Absence of prominent delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech, and grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior.

    B. There is continuing evidence of the disturbance, as indicated by the presence of negative symptoms or two or more symptoms listed in Criterion A for Schizophrenia, present in an attenuated form (e.g., odd beliefs, unusual perceptual experiences)."

    I think Schizophrenics pluck odd beliefs from nowhere like there's little green aliens living in planet momo that's hiding behind the moon or something. Religious people have the scriptures, testament. What it all comes down to is belief that the Bible or whatever their book is or whatever scriptures they read, is the truth, the word of God. It's not schizophrenia.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    I just used the DSM 4 criteria.
    Do you know what a delusion is, clever clogs?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mass schizophrenia is still schizophrenia.

    Only that so many people have the same loony beliefs stops them from being medicated as the insane people they are.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try wikipedia mate, if your stuck -

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusion
    A delusion is commonly defined as a fixed false belief
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    Try wikipedia mate, if your stuck -

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusion
    then y6ou are truly delusional ...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    Only that so many people have the same loony beliefs stops them from being medicated as the insane people they are.

    You have toruble grasping the concept of the unknown!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No i don't.

    It's unknown.

    As such it's stupid to believe in suppostion about it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    Try wikipedia mate, if your stuck -

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusion
    A delusion is a firmly held false belief which is held despite evidence to the contrary. However, it is dependent on the cultural context.

    Who is more deluded: the Englishman who believes that God exists, or a man who doesn't believe England exists?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Or the guy who believes that culture exists.

    The facts don't change dependant on belief.

    If i was the only person on the face of the earth (which I am not btw) who didn't believe that england existed, we would refer to material reality to find out if i was right.

    So, we check if england exists in material physical reality. Annnnd no, it doesn't. So everyone else is incorrect.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Religious people have scriptures and the Bible to rely on.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What is the bible, factually?

    Just words written on paper.

    What is scripture, factually?

    Just words written on paper.

    Does writing things down on paper make them true?

    Yes it does, Noddy and Big Ears have just driven passed my house. :rolleyes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How can you prove then that William the Conquerer invaded England in 1066?
    How can you prove George Washington was born on Feb 22nd 1732?
    How can you prove anything?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    What is the bible, factually?

    Just words written on paper.

    What is scripture, factually?

    Just words written on paper.

    Does writing things down on paper make them true?

    . :rolleyes:
    it makes them true when archeologists use the bible to find cities that people have refused to believe exist apart from in the bible.
    did you know that pontius pilate only existed in scripture until the twentieth century ...when they finaly uncovered stuff about him carved in stone.
    the bible ...three and a half thousand years ago ...the only people the only writtings ...who stated that the world was round ...there are many truths thatyou choose to ignore or ridicule.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How can you prove then that William the Conquerer invaded England in 1066?

    Given the difficulty of proving things from the past that may have actually happened, could you answer me why even older scripts are proof of something something as massively unlikely as the existence of God?
    it makes them true when archeologists use the bible to find cities that people have refused to believe exist apart from in the bible.

    Right. So we cgeck the facts in the bible against the real world and where the bible and the real world coincide we say the bible is factually accurate. When the bible is factually inaccurate, you dismiss it.

    So the bible says there is an all powerful god - we check, find there isn't, move on. Simple.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    Given the difficulty of proving things from the past that may have actually happened, could you answer me why even older scripts are proof of something something as massively unlikely as the existence of God?

    I didn't say it proves the existence of God. I'm just saying religious people have something they can relate to like the Bible. They're not just randomely saying there's a big man in the sky looking down. They're not delusional schizophrenics.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didn't say it proves the existence of God. I'm just saying religious people have something they can relate to like the Bible. They're not just randomely saying there's a big man in the sky looking down. They're not delusional schizophrenics.

    So obeyng a book is less delusional than obeying an imaginary friend?

    How about if someone was obeying the blue peter annual 1976?
Sign In or Register to comment.