Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Crucial 'missing link' in Theory of Evolution found

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yup, well... this is good. I want one as a pet, they look mighty cool.

And the church will no doubt go mad now, and claim it is a beast of Satan or something.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    Why bother digging up fossils then? Why provoke a debate with the creationists if not to somehow try and present a better, more sophisticated, more scientific explanation?

each have their place, questioning ones existence is imo a human quality, you could never prove that though unless you could read minds

animals and plants are different, mammals and fish have their differences, humans and chimpanzees have their differences, me and you have their differences

my take on things
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Unless it involves God, right?
    You will never find me having ever said adults should be banned from believing in God or worshipping.

I don't believe in religious education for children, but once they reach adulthood they can worship the Moon for all I care- so long as they don't try to impose their beliefs on others, which kind of has been a constant problem of most religions since man first walked the earth.
  • Options
    It's pretty hard to stop people telling others what they think and what they believe.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    And the church will no doubt go mad now, and claim it is a beast of Satan or something.
    wrong mate ...the pope and the archbishop of cuntaberry have both stated that the theory of evolution is the correct thing to believe.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It's pretty hard to stop people telling others what they think and what they believe.
    Nothing wrong with that... so long as no action is taken to impose those beliefs.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    especialy when every society of men in time and place across this globe ...have believed in gods and a spirit realm ...every tribe and nation.
    meaning thayt another difference between man and animals is ...man has always had a yearning for god/gods.
    where does thatcome from?
  • Options
    Self-conciousness and fear of death I would suspect. It's only natural to question things in the human mind and the easiest answer out when something could not be explained was to suppose a god of sorts was behind it.

The promise of life after death is also very comforting. The concept of ceasing to exist or never again seeing a loved one is not very attractive to most people.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Nothing wrong with that... so long as no action is taken to impose those beliefs.
    How are you defining "impose"?
  • Options
    Well until very recently in historical terms 'imposing' would mean abide and behave by our rules or beliefs, or be tortured and killed in the more horrific ways.

That thankfully doesn't happen in much (though not all) of the world any more, but societies in most countries are still being imposed the beliefs of religious invidividuals and groups by various means... for instance laws banning you from doing certain activities or buying certain products that are considered "sinful".
  • Options
    wrong mate ...the pope and the archbishop of cuntaberry have both stated that the theory of evolution is the correct thing to believe.

Sorry. I didn't mean them, I meant the hardline Evangical Churches closer to the discovery, the US chaps with TV Shows. They probably want to say it is Satan trying to get into the US from the North.

I should actually state what church I mean in future. Thankfully out CoE is quite a good lot on most issues.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Sorry. I didn't mean them, I meant the hardline Evangical Churches closer to the discovery, the US chaps with TV Shows. They probably want to say it is Satan trying to get into the US from the North.

I should actually state what church I mean in future. Thankfully out CoE is quite a good lot on most issues.
    well in my book ...anyone who gets fame glory money worship ...out of people on a religuos basis ...is a fraud.
  • Options
    well in my book ...anyone who gets fame glory money worship ...out of people on a religuos basis ...is a fraud.

Or in other words all organised religion? Good. :) The CoE isn't perfect, but it is probably one of the better religions.

The sad thing is the people who buy into this shit... and beleive it. Can't they see what it is or something?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :) The CoE isn't perfect, but it is probably one of the better religions.

?
    with every bishop living in a palace with servants ...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well until very recently in historical terms 'imposing' would mean abide and behave by our rules or beliefs, or be tortured and killed in the more horrific ways.

That thankfully doesn't happen in much (though not all) of the world any more, but societies in most countries are still being imposed the beliefs of religious invidividuals and groups by various means... for instance laws banning you from doing certain activities or buying certain products that are considered "sinful".
    And back in reality, what exactly do you object to about telling others about one's beliefs.
  • Options
    "Back in reality"?

Are you denying those events took and take place?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    "Back in reality"?

Are you denying those events took and take place?
    You were banging on about the teaching of religious beliefs at school (as usual). What is objectionable about the sharing of beliefs in that context, aka 'reality'?
  • Options
    As I've explained many times before, religion shouldn't be taught as fact to children. Children are by their very nature impressionable and vulnerable, and can and will be programmed to believe anything if so desired by those in charge of them. In most cases it is nearly impossible to deprogramme them in later life.

This is how you get people who are utterly convinced there is something wrong with homosexuality or premarital sex, how unbelievers are not worthy and 'God' wants you to kill them, and other such absurdities.

If you were to encounter an adult who had never been exposed to religious beliefs as a child, it would be all but impossible in the immense majority of cases to make them believe such things as fact. For the average adult will carefully think about such claims, apply logic and balance and reach the conclusion that it is bollocks. You really need to implant such thoughts in the mind at an early age for them to take hold and for the person to refuse to apply any logic or rational thought in later life to analyse such beliefs.
  • Options
    Exactly.

This is why religious teaching is child abuse.
  • Options
    How many of Jesus' disciples were little children?
  • Options

How many of them ever really existed?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Yeah well in them days man as a bit more, er, naive. Anyone could start a new religion... and often did
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yeah well in them days man as a bit more, er, naive. Anyone could start a new religion... and often did
    I don't know what to say in reply to that other than that I don't agree that people were less discerning of madmen claiming to be the son of God. Have you even read any of the gospels?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    :lol:

Quite. And wouldn't you be concerned about a bunch of men, running about places, with nothing... alone... one of whom claims to be the son of god?

:confused: We lock these people in special padded rooms these days, you know.

So if Jesus came back to earth today... we'd lock him away, even if he is real.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Well there's no doubt a figure called Jesus existed and that he did have followers. Whether he did all those miracles is up for debate but the man existed as did his followers.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So if Jesus came back to earth today... we'd lock him away, even if he is real.
    We don't even lock mad people up these days, let alone benevolent mad people.

Maybe there'd be strong opposition to Jesus' presence and maybe he'd be seen as a threat to the ruling classes and maybe he'd be in physical danger from those who didn't like what he had to say to them - oh wait, he's already been and that already happened.
  • Options
    Well there's no doubt a figure called Jesus existed and that he did have followers. Whether he did all those miracles is up for debate but the man existed as did his followers.

Is there?

Got some have ya?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Is there?

Got some have ya?

Written testament. Books, scriptures etc etc. How can we prove anything pre 20th century? it's all handed down through writing and archielogical evidence.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Is there?

Got some have ya?
    to pinch bladstas line ...read some history.
    the writtings of josephus mention him.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I don't know what to say in reply to that other than that I don't agree that people were less discerning of madmen claiming to be the son of God. Have you even read any of the gospels?
    What I meant is that throughout history man has created many religions and worshipped many gods ranging from celestial bodies to fellow men claiming to be divine. However the emergence of new such beliefs became rarer and rarer as mankind advanced and became wiser and more knowledgeable.

2000, 1000 or even 500 years ago men and women would be prepared to believe a great many things their descendants today simply wouldn't if presented with them for the first time.