Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

A Little Respect

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Wheatus - A Little Respect

This has really ticked me off, Wheatus have basically made a remix of an Erasure hit taking out the entire meaning of the track and wrecking it...

When Erasure released the track back in the 80s it had a hidden message requesting tolerance to sexual orientation, it was a very moving track and helped change a lot of peoples attitudes at the time.

I don't usually mind remixes, if you do a remix properly and keep the soul inside the track but modernise it for todays society then I'm pretty much for it most of the time as you can re-release the message into the next generation of listeners.

But this Wheatus remix is (excuse my french) have really fucked this song up, it begins as normal with a solo vocal and gutair sounding fine but then just half way through the first verse in come all the drums and rest of the wankers obviously not having a clue on what the song was about just trying to look cool and make a small tidy sum out of an already popular song without even portraying it as it was mean't to be.

Personally I hope this song flops big time and Wheatus return to their teenage dirtbag choonage (which wasn't too bad and if you like it fair play.. no problem)

Sorry for the rant.. just making feelings known.. thanx for reading.. <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I haven't heard it but I know "Teenage Dirtbag" gets on my nerves big time with their stupid tinny voices and the way the girl asks him out... grrrr <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/mad.gif"&gt;
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry dude but i just can't see your point.

    They keep exactly the same lyrics and chords. How does the meaning change?

    Or is it because they aren't gay and that this means they have no 'right' to sing the song? If this is the case then I ask what you learned from the original song.

    Just because it is aimed at a different audience doesn't devalue it's meaning.

    "Liberty lost still buried today
    Beneath the lie of the USA"
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I quite like the song actually!! <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt; <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt;
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i like the whole CD. does know one get the point of poppy rock - its to put on very loud and dance around the room naked to. not that i'm looking at anyone susie. <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt;

    Look into these tired eyes. See something you might recognise.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Turtle:
    i like the whole CD. does know one get the point of poppy rock - its to put on very loud and dance around the room naked to. not that i'm looking at anyone susie. <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt;


    I actually agree with you on something Turtle <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt; It is a pretty good album and I think "A little respect" is a great song.

    Teenage dirtbag is a good song too but I think its a bit annoying now cause it is overplayed a bit now <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/mad.gif"&gt;

    I wouldn't dance around my room naked though because I have no curtains at the mo <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/redface.gif"&gt;



    The world will end in 5 minutes. Please log out...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Broken Heart:
    I actually agree with you on something Turtle <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt; It is a pretty good album and I think "A little respect" is a great song.

    Teenage dirtbag is a good song too but I think its a bit annoying now cause it is overplayed a bit now <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/mad.gif"&gt;

    I wouldn't dance around my room naked though because I have no curtains at the mo <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/redface.gif"&gt;


    *actually very scared at the thought of mark dancing around naked* eeagh!

    and i'm also scared u agreed with me.

    Look into these tired eyes. See something you might recognise.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

    Yeah, I like the song too. I quite like Wheatus so far.

    So with one hand on the wheel
    The other out the window
    With a smile on my face
    My middle finger up...
  • Options
    Girl-From-MarsGirl-From-Mars Posts: 2,822 Boards Guru
    i havent heard the song so <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt; teenage dirtbag was good, but yes, agreed mark, way overplayed.

    *chuckles at the thought of mark having no curtains* <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt; <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/wink.gif"&gt; <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt; you could always .. er fabricate your own for the occasion mark <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt; lol

    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
    ~ Nietzsche
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent:
    Or is it because they aren't gay and that this means they have no 'right' to sing the song? If this is the case then I ask what you learned from the original song.

    They don't have to be gay to sing it, I suppose its just the fact you've got one bloke who was banging some bongo's with his head and the singer guy kicking things over which to me just, well... I dunno...

    Maybe its just me getting old too fast
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    duuude, bongo guy rules <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/smile.gif"&gt; *laughs at bongo* <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/smile.gif"&gt; hehe, ok, so shoot me.

    Look into these tired eyes. See something you might recognise.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    rotflmao

    I take it bongo dude is your role model in life then... lol <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Justin Credible:
    rotflmao

    I take it bongo dude is your role model in life then... lol <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;

    with a hair cut like that?? HELLYEAH!! <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;

    Look into these tired eyes. See something you might recognise.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Justin Credible:
    They don't have to be gay to sing it, I suppose its just the fact you've got one bloke who was banging some bongo's with his head and the singer guy kicking things over which to me just, well... I dunno...

    Maybe its just me getting old too fast

    So it's the VIDEO you object to rather than the song? That's different. Not sure I remember Erasure's video, but I do wonder if Andy Bell's dancing might have detracted from the song's meaning <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;

    I have the Wheatus album and it's pretty cool. Better than I expected. I play guitar and it's fun to play their tunes too...



    "He's just a pimp, with a limp and some vaseline""
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent:
    So it's the VIDEO you object to rather than the song? That's different. Not sure I remember Erasure's video, but I do wonder if Andy Bell's dancing might have detracted from the song's meaning

    Quite probably, I expect its a bit of both and I can definatly say that his dancing was detracted... heh <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;

  • Options
    Girl-From-MarsGirl-From-Mars Posts: 2,822 Boards Guru
    heard the song today. like it. downloaded it <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/smile.gif"&gt; okay its a bit poppy but hey, did they ever ask to be taken seriously?

    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
    ~ Nietzsche
Sign In or Register to comment.