Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Advice please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been suffering from depression for over a year now and when I get very down, I am doing minor self harm. I have gashed my forehead with my finger nails, and I bang my head against things. Am embarrassed to admit these things but when depressed just completely lose control. have agrat life and am so lucky so why can't I cope with it all?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am now at the end of my tether.

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Kipper,
    Welcome to the boards - it's really brave of you to come here and be open about how you're feeling. I hope we can point you in the right direction to find ways of coping with what you're going through.

Many young people experience depression and turn to self-harm when they don't know what else to do, so first you might like to try wandering over to this thread where you'll find lots of people who can identify with what you're going through.

Here are some links for organisations which you can turn to for help.

Samaritans
    Confidential help for anyone who is experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide.
    Web: www.samaritans.org.uk
    Tel: 08457 909090
    Email: jo@samaritans.org

Saneline
    Offers practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems.
    Web: www.sane.org.uk
    Tel: 0845 767 8000

Depression Alliance Charity offering information and self-help groups.
    Web: www.depressionalliance.org
    Tel: 0845 123 23 20

SupportLine
    Confidential and emotional support on the telephone for children, young adults and adults who are socially isolated, vulnerable, at risk and victims of any form of abuse.
    Web: www.supportline.org.uk
    Tel: 020 8554 9004

Take care ;)
  • Options
    kipper wrote:
    I have been suffering from depression for over a year now and when I get very down, I am doing minor self harm. I have gashed my forehead with my finger nails, and I bang my head against things. Am embarrassed to admit these things but when depressed just completely lose control. have agrat life and am so lucky so why can't I cope with it all?
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am now at the end of my tether.

What you need is to give you some kicks in the ass and get over it, only you can get you out of it and you need to get out soon cos the longer you are going to be depress the harder it will be. I have been into SH and depressed for years and it was really hard work to get out of it.

For some people it help to go see someone, I would suggest you do so and see ifit helps, you need to do something before the SH get worste, cos in most cas it will.

Do you know what is the cause of your depression?
  • Options
    post viral fatigue syndrome following glandular fever.