Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why does job hunting suck so much balls?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Following on from bluewisdom's thread,

Why is it so hard to find a summer job if you are a student with some dignity?

All I ask for is a nice 9-5 office job. I don't care if I'm photocopying or delivering internal mail.
- I want a social life, hence 9-5.
- I don't want to be a fundraiser (dignity issues)

All the fucking jobs I've found are like this.

"Administration assistant. 5.50 an hour, central Winchester. Driven and dynamic person required for inner city post. Duties include filing, answering phone calls, being presentable to clients as front of house staff. Must be smart, efficient and have good phone manner. Minimum experience required - 350 years."

They are all like this. Is it really so much to fucking ask? For God's sake, I am a educated polyglot. I guess that counts for shit unless I have centuries of experience and am still wanting minimum wage.

[/Rant.]
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would just apply for them anyway and see where it goes. Wouldn't hurt. Do you have any expierance at all?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Jub hunting is the worst thing in the world. What is the worst part about jobhunting is when there are lots of you after particular jobs and the person who gets one first is the one who "well, i'm not that fussed, i'll just apply and see what happens" :|

I feel your pain.

I would just apply and see what happens. Have you thought about temping agencies?
  • Options
    Following on from bluewisdom's thread,

Why is it so hard to find a summer job if you are a student with some dignity?

All I ask for is a nice 9-5 office job. I don't care if I'm photocopying or delivering internal mail.
    - I want a social life, hence 9-5.
    - I don't want to be a fundraiser (dignity issues)

All the fucking jobs I've found are like this.

"Administration assistant. 5.50 an hour, central Winchester. Driven and dynamic person required for inner city post. Duties include filing, answering phone calls, being presentable to clients as front of house staff. Must be smart, efficient and have good phone manner. Minimum experience required - 350 years."

They are all like this. Is it really so much to fucking ask? For God's sake, I am a educated polyglot. I guess that counts for shit unless I have centuries of experience and am still wanting minimum wage.

[/Rant.]
    Yes they're all like that. I wanted a temporary office job (well, for about a year) after uni, had a degree and still couldn't find a job. Those temping agencies are crap, at least where I live. They all ask you what experience you have. Apparently you need 2 years experience to earn minimum wage photocopying and filing. The one that gets me is 'experience using excel/access/word.' Apparently an A-Level in IT doesn't count, despite the fact that they won't want you to do anything nearly as advanced as you learn on that. Those typing qualifications do my head in as well. I realised that a lot of the jobs I was looking at wanted one of these. I looked to see what it was, and its 35 words per minute, which is pretty slow really. Why can they not take your word for it that you type faster than that? I mean surely they can work it out from the fact that you've got qualifications that require you to type essays?
  • Options
    You just apply for them anyway, to be perfectly honest. They always grossly overstate how much experience they want. The job I've just got wanted three years experience ffs.

Temping is the way to go anyway. Get a smallish local temping agency, and they'll look after you alright. The one I always temp with in Newcastle are great because they're local.
  • Options
    me also a student and looking for a job and it sucks balls and rotten eggs. unfortunately though i was a fundraiser last summer and i'm gonna be one this summer hopefully. last year it was all commission but if i get the one i applied for it's 6.50 basic plus bonuses and as for dignity, your a student, you shouldn't have any.
  • Options
    as for dignity, your a student, you shouldn't have any.

Thats complete bollocks.
  • Options
    Thats complete bollocks.

i think that's a tongue in cheek remark dear......
  • Options
    Iv been job hunting since november.Despite handing out loads of CVs,filling in loads of application forms,being promised interviews,work trials and such like Im STILL farking unemployed. :banghead:
    Iv had 4 interviews in 3 weeks,1 promised to phone me back for a trail,the other was door to door stuff,and the other I couldnt have made up.
    I was told this company had big clients like sony,warner bros etc and they got these companies stocks out to shops and suchlike.I got a trial for this(me and another bloke too)and all morning they bigged the job right up......you HAVE to impress this guy,hes taking you out to REEEEEALLY test you,and the job waaaaaaassss............walking around shops and trying to sell shitty little kiddy laptops out of a SUITCASE.To people in the street......... :eek2:
    Looking for jobs does indeed suck balls,rotten eggs and other worse things,especially when your not told the job in the first place("all is explained if you get to the 2nd interview")and then get your best trousers and shoes muddy tramping around a farking industrial estate. :mad:
  • Options
    as for dignity, your a student, you shouldn't have any.

Why should I have no dignity if I choose to be educated for 4 more years than people who don't go to university? So my reward for wanting to impoverish myself in the name of education should be companies/chavs treating me like shit? For fuck's sake, I am trilingual and have 3 A's at A-level. I would bet my grandmother I'm more qualified than most of the people applying for these type of temping jobs but the word student seems to frighten people...
  • Options
    Not in horrible way, most these places don't want someone who is trilingual and think they are better than everyone else. They just want someone normal who will get the job done. This is coming from someone who goes to uni, you just have to do any summer jobs that are offered to you.
  • Options
    So if you are better qualified and speak three languages, you probably are better than most people, not just thinking it. Surely that will mean you will get the job done all the same, but possibly better. Its hard to take any summer job thats offered to you when you aren't being offered anything as they want 3 years experience for filing.
  • Options
    dear lord, i wasn't being serious. everyone should have dignity but students usually don't have much especially when drunk. if i knew there was a lack of humour around i woudln't have bothered
  • Options
    stangoc wrote:
    Not in horrible way, most these places don't want someone who is trilingual and think they are better than everyone else.

No, the reason why a lot of companies don't recruit students is because students don't stick around.

They're not going to take a student on knowing he'll naff off in three months, when the other applicant is likely to stay for a lot longer.

That's why students should go down the temping route- companies don't expect temps to hang around forever.