Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Surely this is wrong?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I got told yesterday (threatened, actually) by my Law teacher that if I'm not careful I'll be kicked off the course. Her reasons? I don't the work set (crap) and don't do enough work out of school. The thing, since September, I've missed something like 2 double lessons and there's people who aren't getting kicked off who never actually turn up - someone tell me how exactly this works please? The thing is, she spends something like a few days or so on a unit and some of the stuff we have to learn is complicated. She has a go at me because I don't put enough detail in - she did this yesterday despite me doing what the question told me to do. She told me and someone else that we had to put something in our answers that wasn't even part of the question! :rolleyes: She also expects us to know everything about one of our units and if we have a problem with the work, she won't actually sit down and explain it in more detail.

My dad has advised to me to complain about this (amongst other things relating to this course) and told me that he might write a letter to whoever it is about this. I found today that if I have a complaint about this, I have to write to HER because she's the Head of 6th Form where this lesson is taught at.

Also, is right that we have to let her know if we're not going to attend her lesson, but when it's her that can't make it, she doesn't have let us know?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If its sixth form, then I guess what she says goes, especially if she's incharge of the 6th aswell.

But if you complain, it will probably go to the head. They have policies on this sort of thing. Address the letter to the head teacher.

When I was in 6th form, we had to telephone the school if we couldn't make it, and if possible - let the teacher know. Teachers have years of experiance, and can usually predict quite well what grades people can get.

Has this teacher threatened or intimidated your before?

If so, then I guess you need to seriously think about complaining.
    But, but if it was a one off, and being annoyed at her, you're remembering all of the little things shes done to you, then maybe she had a bad day.

If you're in a bad mood, please wait atleast a week before you do anything drastic like complaining. I'm not in any way suggesting that you're exaggerating or anything, but things always seem worse then they really are.

If you do compain, your relationship with the teacher will change I guarantee it. You will always be the one who complained, and this could mean she treats you differently from the rest of the class.
    Has this teacher threatened or intimidated your before?

No, but I always found that if we were recapping what we did in the lesson (whether it be what we'd just learnt or last lesson) then she'd always ask me hard questions and make me look really stupid when I didn't know the answer.
    If so, then I guess you need to seriously think about complaining.
    But, but if it was a one off, and being annoyed at her, you're remembering all of the little things shes done to you, then maybe she had a bad day.

I have been thinking about complaining for a while because she never tells us when she's off - meaning we go up there and sometimes have to qait around anything up to 2 hours for someone to come and collect us. (Can't walk back though, because it's too far)
  • KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Perhaps you should bite the bullet and request a time to have a chat with her about this.

She may not realise she's treating you unequally, so it could be worth you explaining how you think she has been unfair and why you think you shouldn't be kicked off the course (i.e. because you're willing to study hard etc)

It's important to stay calm - keeping a cool head and handling the situation maturely will impress her and make her think twice about being harsh on you again in future.

Treating students unfairly could mean serious consequences for her job, so make sure you can back up any evidence of unfair treatment. If you think the problem doesn't improve after speaking to her, it might be a good idea to talk to the head. You could even consider getting your dad to join you for support.

Hope it works out :)
    Sofie wrote:
    No, but I always found that if we were recapping what we did in the lesson then she'd always ask me hard questions and make me look really stupid when I didn't know the answer.

There are always two sides to a story, maybe she's trying extra hard to help you, and because you think she's picking on you, you end up more upset

I have been thinking about complaining for a while because she never tells us when she's off - meaning we go up there and sometimes have to qait around anything up to 2 hours for someone to come and collect us. (Can't walk back though, because it's too far)

When I was at school, we had a few lessons when the teacher just didn't show up and forget to leave a note.

I personally think the best thing to do might be to have a little chat at the end of a lesson, and tell her that you are having difficulty with the course. That way, she will maybe suggest some books or website to get some help with you're work. This way you might have a better teacher student relationship. Even if you have to lie, just let her help you so to speak. I think she may see you as vulnerable and be kinder to you.

I just dont think having a proper chat and telling her that she's upset you is the way to go. I mean I remember when I was at sixth form, and the teachers were like these 'gods' and you simply did what you were told. It would have been very hard for me to have a chat like that.
    There are always two sides to a story, maybe she's trying extra hard to help you, and because you think she's picking on you, you end up more upset

Doubt it. She always asks me the harder questions, despite the fact that she knows I sometimes struggle. Then she has a go at me because I don't know something, but it's alright for everyone not to get something wrong... :rolleyes:
    When I was at school, we had a few lessons when the teacher just didn't show up and forget to leave a note.

But Law isn't actually taught at the school I'm registered at. If it was it would be alright.
    I personally think the best thing to do might be to have a little chat at the end of a lesson, and tell her that you are having difficulty with the course. That way, she will maybe suggest some books or website to get some help with you're work.

We were given a list of websites to go on, but they're not really that detailed or don't give the information that I need.
    I just dont think having a proper chat and telling her that she's upset you is the way to go.

What do you think I should do then? Just sit back and say nothing then really struggle?
    Sofie wrote:
    What do you think I should do then? Just sit back and say nothing then really struggle?

If shes threatening to kick you off the course, that probably means you can pass the course (otherwise she might have said "you'll fail the course").

If you're really having a hard time on the course, are you getting all the reading material done? Have you considered some Law books from a university bookshop?

When I have difficulty, its usually because the course was too hard, or I couldn't be bothered to study. I'm not an A student anymore, so I'm not trying to act all superior.

So you could
    A) Teach yourself the material you find hard, in your own time.
    B) Ask the teacher to give you more help
    C) Complain, and make the whole situation worse.
    D) Nothing and fail

I'm not trying to be condescending either, just listing all the possible things that I can think of. You can choose one of them, or another you think of yourself.

I really hope you get things sorted, this is probably adding unwanted stress, and that must suck.

I wish you luck.
    If shes threatening to kick you off the course, that probably means you can pass the course

Why do you say that? AFAIK, she'll only threaten to kick me off the course if she thinks I'm going to fail.
    If you're really having a hard time on the course, are you getting all the reading material done?

Despite what she thinks, yes I do get the reading and the work that needs to be done, done.
    B) Ask the teacher to give you more help

She won't - she's always too busy sorting out other stuff, even during her lessons. (6th form stuff)
    C) Complain, and make the whole situation worse.

How exactly will complaining make the situation worse than it already is?
    I really hope you get things sorted, this is probably adding unwanted stress, and that must suck.

Yeah, it is really unwanted stress. The thing is, I don't always get help when I ask for it and she just assumes that we know everything... :rolleyes: