Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ketamine study - can you help?

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
Hey peeps,
Below is a request for research participants that we thought you might be interested in, from a very well respected academic institution. If any of you are suitable, here is your chance to contribute to the body of drugs research we are always bemoaning the lack of. Feel free to pass it on to anyone you know who may be suitable as well...

Hi there. I’m conducting a study on behalf of University College London (with funding from the Economic and Social Research Council - www.esrc.ac.uk) into the long-term effects of ketamine use. Specifically, I am looking at the effect it may (or may not) have on memory and various thought processes together with mood, as assessed by various questionnaires and computer based tasks. I have finished recruiting for my ketamine users groups now, and am now looking for people who used to use ketamine but have now stopped, so I can try and tell whether any patterns/effects that are present in current ketamine users are permanent or if they go away when people stop using the drug.

Specifically then, I am looking for:

People who used to do ketamine on a regular basis (i.e. at least once every 3 weeks) for a period of 9 months of longer, but who have since given up and not used it for at least 6 months. They can, however, still use any other drug(s).

The study requires you to visit us in Central London and is non-invasive (in that we don't make you take anything nor do we take blood samples) but we do take a urine and hair sample. The computer tasks and questionnaires take most people a little over three hours to complete in total and you are paid £35 (we cannot cover travel costs though). We also ask that you return in about 10 months to repeat the process. Payment is increased to around £65 for this follow up stage to act as an incentive for you to come back!

Naturally, this study is highly confidential, and participation is treated accordingly.

If you think you might be suitable, or have any questions, please feel free to email me at h.rees@ucl.ac.uk

Regards

Huw Rees
Psychopharmacology Unit
University College London

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you get paid?
  • Options
    There was one of these a while back, which I was part of, rather interesting actually.

Though I didnt get a copy of the report at the end which annoyed me.
  • Options
    The pay is a bit sucky considering they won't cover travel costs...
  • Options
    Damn, I think it has been more than six months since I've taken ketamine! I've been slacking!
  • Options
    dgdsn wrote:
    Do you get paid?

Did you actually read the post? ;)
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Did you actually read the post? ;)

apologies.

Teach me for speed readin. :crazyeyes

I last took k about 3 weeks ago so no good for me but for I'll pass it on.
  • Options
    The pay is a bit sucky considering they won't cover travel costs...
    You could always do it out of academic interest... Think of it as your small contribution to the long term health of the nation.

I guess the point is that this kind of research in this country is desperately underfunded, and they can't afford to pay.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    You could always do it out of academic interest... Think of it as your small contribution to the long term health of the nation.

I guess the point is that this kind of research in this country is desperately underfunded, and they can't afford to pay.
    Don't get me wrong, I am all for research into this kind of thing. I'd love to help out if I could, but unfortunately I'm not a suitable candidate :(
  • Options
    Used to take Ketamine for at least 2 years and a regular basic, more than once a week, some week everyday. Haven't use any for more than a year tho. But used tpo take other drugs on the side too, cannabis everyday, acid every week and sometimes some coke and speed here and there.
  • Options
    Used to take Ketamine for at least 2 years and a regular basic, more than once a week, some week everyday. Haven't use any for more than a year tho. But used tpo take other drugs on the side too, cannabis everyday, acid every week and sometimes some coke and speed here and there.

Well you're perfect for the study then arent you.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Well you're perfect for the study then arent you.

Seems like it. When I stopped taking chemicals tho, Ketamine was the one I had really trouble to stop, even years after I still think of it sometimes.
  • Options
    Fancy a trip to london then? You are from France right?
  • Options
    Fancy a trip to london then? You are from France right?

Yeah I am, but I am living in Essex and lived in London for more than 7 years, so London is not new to me... Well maybe the night clubs are actually as I used to go to squat parties only...
  • Options
    What are the long term effects of using an anesthetic recreationally?

It's virtually impossible to o/d on K unless someone else is mainlining you.
  • Options
    Zenie wrote:
    It's virtually impossible to o/d on K unless someone else is mainlining you.

Are you sure? I would have thought high doses of any anesthetic would considerably increase likelihood of complications with your heart an breathing etc.

Nice sig btw :yum:
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Are you sure? I would have thought high doses of any anesthetic would considerably increase likelihood of complications with your heart an breathing etc.

Nice sig btw :yum:

Yep

You'd have to snort something like 4g to O/d on it and that just isn't humanly possible :D

I defy anyone to take that much. :naughty:

Similarly if you had pharma grade you'd not be able inject that much without passing out, you'd have to have someone else inject you.

You could o/d if taking k orally but I don't know anyone who does?

It's mainly used with old people and kids because it's so safe.

The worst that will happen from what I've heard and read is you'll pass out and throw up!! But who doesn't throw up on K?? :banghead:

Ha!! that much chang ey??
  • Options
    Zenie wrote:
    Yep

You'd have to snort something like 4g to O/d on it and that just isn't humanly possible :D

I've snorted 4g + of speed and coke before so it's physically possible. Just not very wise :p

The worst that will happen from what I've heard and read is you'll pass out and throw up!! But who doesn't throw up on K?? :banghead:

Passing out and vomitting is really dangerous though.
  • Options
    4 grams!!

All in one line?? :chin:

Doubt it :no:

yep can be dangerous, but then all illegal drugs can be dangerous.

Do you think K is more dangerous than coke or speed then?
  • Options
    No, not in one line.

I don't think it's any more or less dangerous.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    I've snorted 4g + of speed and coke before so it's physically possible. Just not very wise :p

I think what he means is that you couldnt snort 4g worth before you would be so fucked that you physically wouldnt be able to snort any more.

Ket is effective on very small doses, and if your up on a fair bit I heard you can barely move, let alone do another line.

In terms of danger to the heart... I heard it dosent effect the heart? thats why its good for kids and old people. Correct me if i'm wrong!
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    but who have since given up and not used it for at least 6 months.
    :no: could have done with the money as well
  • Options
    You could do 4g over a period of time but I meant all in one hit. :eek2:

Yeh it does get a bit mongy I suppose, you can keep on doing them, but if you're k-holing I guess you're not in a fit state to do much.

It is fairly safe IMO but I aint a doctor.

Yeh it can slow the heart down and cause breathing problems if you're mixing it with other chems but death is really fucking rare.
  • Options
    Zenie wrote:

What about in a short space of time. I've seen copious amounts of drugs being snorted in short time spaces. It usually ends messily, in one case, an ambulance after an idiot snorted an 8th of coke :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    What about in a short space of time. I've seen copious amounts of drugs being snorted in short time spaces. It usually ends messily, in one case, an ambulance after an idiot snorted an 8th of coke :rolleyes:

Sorry are you asking me a question??

Or making a statement?
  • Options
    Well there's not much difference to snorting all in one go and all within a short space of time. I was just saying.
  • Options
    K or coke?

You wouldnt be able to snort that much k in a short period of time.

Same for coke really, I reckon unles you were a *really* heavy user,the heart palpitations would do you in if nothing else.
  • Options
    Zenie wrote:

Never throw up or being sick on K and took shit loads... I guess it depends on people more than anything else...
  • Options
    Never throw up or being sick on K and took shit loads... I guess it depends on people more than anything else...

Really?? :confused:

I know a lot of people that throw up after snorting K.

It's really acidic and upsets the stomach, you shouldn't really eat before taking it.
  • Options
    Zenie wrote:
    Really?? :confused:

I know a lot of people that throw up after snorting K.

It's really acidic and upsets the stomach, you shouldn't really eat before taking it.

I never used to eat or drink at all when under chemicals, the only time some chemicals made me throw up it was some acid and because I was eating while under the influence of it.

The worste I did on K was half-g in a line and still haven't throw up, but my mate was on his knees on the floor on his on vomit and could'nt talk or understand shit... But then again my mate throw up with most drugs...
  • Options
    Zenie wrote:

Yeh it does get a bit mongy I suppose, you can keep on doing them, but if you're k-holing I guess you're not in a fit state to do much.

It is fairly safe IMO but I aint a doctor.

Yeh it can slow the heart down and cause breathing problems if you're mixing it with other chems but death is really fucking rare.

I know someone who overdosed on K, died in her sleep. She used the kind from vets, not sure if thats different strength though.