Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Have you ever been homeless?

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
Hiya,

I'm doing some research for a new article on the 'hidden homeless' and wondered if any of you have ever found yourselves without a permanent place to live - either in temporary accomodation, refuges, squats, having to live on someone's floor or living in unsafe housing or severely crowded homes.

If this is the case, how did you get into this situation and how did you manage, if at all, to get out of it? Did you find there was enough support our there to help you?

If you would prefer to email me privately then that would be fine,

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep been homeless for 3 months in London in winter time, fucking cold.

Lost my job with living accomodation and well, had nowhere to go, so well the street or the occasional squat for the night here and there.

And for food, well I used to go do the trash to some shop in London that sale sandwich in boxes and bread and shit and as they have to throw them away on the date of permption every night you had enough to eat. Usually shit loads but used to share with other homeless.

I had a girlfriend at the time, which well kept her job and had a place to live, after some friends finally borrowed us enough cash to be able to go back to France in our familly.

Made enough cash in France and went back in the UK.

It was a long and cold 3 months tho, but glad to get out of it at the end.
  • Options
    Hey Nihilistic,

I'm helping out with the article and wanted to PM you, but see that you don't want to recieve any e-mails. Just wanted to ask you a couple of questions about your experience of homelessness etc and maybe get a quote for an article that will be going in the Homelessness section of thesite.

let me know the best way to send you some questions if you wouldn't mind answering a couple (?)

thanks

lauren - workie
  • Options
    Yes we were made homeless early last year. Landlord sold the house we were renting.
    If you wanna know more feel free to ask.
  • Options
    workie wrote:
    Hey Nihilistic,

I'm helping out with the article and wanted to PM you, but see that you don't want to recieve any e-mails. Just wanted to ask you a couple of questions about your experience of homelessness etc and maybe get a quote for an article that will be going in the Homelessness section of thesite.

let me know the best way to send you some questions if you wouldn't mind answering a couple (?)

thanks

lauren - workie

Will enable PM now
  • Options
    I've spent time living on mate's sofas and living in squats - never been out on the streets though.
  • Options
    never been on the streets but lived in a homeless hostel with my boyfriend at the time. I wasnt supposed to be there and had to hide under the bed when the landlady came round. Also got made homeless again a few months after that when the landlady where we were staying (fucking schizo) went loony and decided to throw us out on the spur of the moment, but we managed to find people who let us stay on their sofa for a while, and it was summer too, so we camped in a tent for some of it. Im not sure it counts as properly homeless as i never had to sleep rough on the streets, although it was close at one point and we were eating at the local soup run at night and getting sandwiches from the nuns at the convent in the mornings.
  • Options
    Never been on the streets, but spent a few weeks here and there sofa surfing at mate's places until I got something sorted.
  • Options
    Nope but I have slept on the streets before! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Yep but you're a journo so dunno if I wanna reveal all.

You can have an okish night's sleep in the top of empty buildings and squats.

Just have to be prepared and keep your wits abut you.

Lived in centrepoint for a bit too.