Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is this an "emergency"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my recently removed wisdom teeth are going alright. As I made a post before, one side is still (still) swollen and theres just a small bit of pain. But its bearable and getting better so I'm not to think much of it. However for the past 3 nights I have woken up at 4ish am with my entire head throbbing. Quite painful in all four teeth spots and lots of throbbing. I've tried icing, keeping my head up and ibuprofen and the like. The only thing I actually found that would make the pain subside even slightly though was vicodin plus ibuprofen.

First off I don't think this pain should be normal at night (or maybe I'm wrong, please tell me if its common) and second, I'm out of Vicodin.
So I called up the surgeon today to get the scoop of things. They are out till next Tuesday. (I have my follow up appt the day after)

On the message they did give an emergency number to call. But they said "if this is truly an emergency" and said a couple other times to only call if its is a real hardcore emergency, all with the lovely, don't even fucking call this number tone of voice.

So now I'm scared to call. Does this pain at night qualify as an "emergency" or is it just me being a wuss. I've asked a couple people (like 4) and two say call and two say don't so I thought I'd ask and get more opinions :)

Comments

• Options
    Well when I had mine removed it barely hurt for the day and that was about it, it never hurt for days or make me wake up at night like you said.

They say to call them in emergency, but here you are not sure, so just give them a call and check with them. Who cares if at the end it aint an emergency, at least you will know for sure if it is normal or not.
  • Options
    I'd call, If your in more pain than you think you should be, go. At least you'll know everything okay then.
  • Options
    Has anybody had "dry socket"? I finally got a hold of somebody and she said it sounded like it. Since they can't see me or anything and really the only thing is to give me this medicated patch thing to stick on the gums and thats mostly just for pain. But really the only thing that heals it is time. About a week she said. Kinda crappy.
  • Options
    Could be infected, might need antibiotics. Never heard of dry socket.
  • Options
    Luckily 90% its not infected she said. It would be alot more swollen and I would be able to feel a bump. Plus I'm still on antibiotics for it so thats a plus :)