Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

goodbye to the britain we know and love

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it would seem that many people don't mind at all that the country is being turned more and more into an open prison.

The only possible reason i can think of for this apathy is that they have never had to actually deal with any police or the courts or any other kind of grasping bureaucrats. If you have had any dealings with these simpleminded but violent people you soon want them nowhere near anything.
    Are you against passports too?

Ofc.
    Maybe it doesn't bother me as much because I'm used to having police checks and things for my job.

Yeah, if you have given way to coercion once, it's much easier to become a coward in future.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yeah, if you have given way to coercion once, it's much easier to become a coward in future.

:lol:

I've been called a lot of things but never a coward.

You're right though I havent dealt with the government and yes my opinion would probably be different if I had, thats why I joined this debate to see if someone could change my mind. So far I have heard nothing to make me think ID cards a bad idea..pointless idea maybe.
  • Options
    I've been called a lot of things but never a coward.

Why else do you obey the law, if it's not because you are mindful of the threat?
    You're right though I havent dealt with the government and yes my opinion would probably be different if I had, thats why I joined this debate to see if someone could change my mind. So far I have heard nothing to make me think ID cards a bad idea..pointless idea maybe.

The ID cards aren't such a bad idea in and of themselves. In the right hands they could be a positive boon to all. The thing is, it requires a level of trust, not just in this government, but in the next government and the government after that and the government after that.

Things change, and it's easy to see how something like this in the wrong hands could be a disaster, and we have NO guarantee that those wrong hands aren't in our futures.
  • Options
    Yes I agree with you and I hadn't thought about the future effects with other governments.

Are you planning on refusing to get an ID card then? If not then surely you're a coward too.
  • Options
    I don't plan on refusing to get one.

I also don't plan on getting one.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Most people on here wouldn't normally dream of voting Tories, would this make you?

Absolutely.

Mind you, I wash. Therefore I couldn't imagine voting labour.
  • Options
    Absolutely.

Mind you, I wash. Therefore I couldn't imagine voting labour.

ha bloody ha.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    ha bloody ha.... :rolleyes:

It's right.

Is voting Labour good for me? Probably not.
    Bollocks to the rest of you.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    I don't plan on refusing to get one.

I also don't plan on getting one.

Same.

I am not goingto activley get one nor strive not to have one. If they want me to have one, give it to me. For free.
  • Options
    It's right.

Is voting Labour good for me? Probably not.
    Bollocks to the rest of you.
    the rest of us? i don't think you'll find much labour support in here mi old china!

welcome to nomans land.....

i used to vote labour though ,and i wash every week without fail! :D
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i used to vote labour though ,and i wash every week without fail! :D

Haha :p
  • Options
    no.
    the worst kind of democracy is people voting on single issues ...which happens a lot.

:confused:

I disagree, if a single issue is important enough then it should be enough.

people considering 'the general picture' allows govt to get away with too much when there is no other process other than elections to stop them.

In the end everyone has one or two issues that will sway them at an election....
  • Options
    I agree. I don't think they're any worse than the thousands of CCTV cameras on our streets, I can just think of a million better things to do with the money.
    Got it in one. I really don't think ID cards are an assault on civil liberty, and frankly they'll come in handy sometimes. Granted I am concerned about the rules regarding carrying them the whole time but to be honest if someone wanted to know where I was (approximately) they could track my Oyster card, find out when I last used my passport, check the last place I used my debit card... Come on, guys, if you ever do anything interesting enough to be surveyed and tracked you'll be found - ID cards or no...
  • Options
    Recent history has shown that the police will abuse any extra powers they are given and that is why I worry about ID cards.
  • Options
    Of course it's going to be a fuck up - it's a government scheme.

:yes:
  • Options
    So how much are these ID cards going to be? I dont really see the big deal, like a lot of people have said already credit cards, oster cards, driving licenses have most of our details anyhoo! If it were a videocam of some sort, then yes i would have a problem, also what is wrong with knowing peoples wereabouts? Paying for it though is a bugger. :yes:

Okay this may sound silly but with this chip, can it locate you wherever you are?? :confused:
  • Options
    "The Identity Card Bill allows for the introduction of compulsory Identity Cards for all. Though it will be compulsory, we will have to pay for the card, and pay every time our details change, such as a change in address. If we dont keep the authorities informed of such changes, we will be fined.

ID Cards wont tackle identity fraud, crime or any of the high-profile problems the Government has claimed they will address. Charles Clarke has said that he doubted that ID cards would have protected London from the terrorist attack of July 7th.

They will be a huge waste of money (both in terms of public tax and straight from our pockets). They will change our society and the way we live, forever."

Okay after reading this i now think it may be a load of BULLSHIT! why dont we just give everything we earn to the idiots! jezz, why do you even bother working! I mean hello! I am actually really pissed off now!

ha ha bit of a extreme there, lesson to all, read about what you are debating first! lol
  • Options
    it would seem that many people don't mind at all that the country is being turned more and more into an open prison.

so true yet so worrying

too busy enjoying their celeb magazines and crap

WMP
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    too busy enjoying their celeb magazines and crap

EXACTALLY the problem. :thumb: Good diagnosis.