Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

goodbye to the britain we know and love

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    it's a crime to steal from thieves?

So its ethical to steal from a hospital?
    I didn't steal from the hospital. The people there help me voluntarily.

im moving away and setting up an organisation to stop it

just how do we stop it?
    Sorry mate... I think if you tried anything to stop it you'd end up on the government's hit list so to speak.

I don't think we can stop it... It's a horrible idea too. How will the government afford it?

Probably by making the most deprived individuals suffer.

Don't they have ID cards in Australia?
    The government's planning to pay for ID cards by raising the price of a passport to £100+. :impissed:
    Not wanting to go down the predictable same road for 75 posts, I'll say what I have to say and leave it at that.

- Yes, stealing from 'thieves' is wrong- with the possible exception of distributing the stolen goods amongst the less fortunate members of society. Now seeing as you don't give much of a shit about anyone else and actually believe society "doesn't exist" (LOL!), I doubt you would be doing that.

- We have gone through this a million times and no, the NHS is not a 'thief', the government is not a 'thief', taxes are not 'theft' and nobody is using or would use 'violence' against you. Move along, nothing to see here.
    Actually its not really the civil liberties issue that I most object to, because I dont think they will ever get it to work well enough to use this way.

Its the FACT it will go 10 times over budget, not work, over charge some people, get things wrong, block peoples passport for no reason and generally be about as effective as the CSA.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Actually its not really the civil liberties issue that I most object to, because I dont think they will ever get it to work well enough to use this way.

Its the FACT it will go 10 times over budget, not work, over charge some people, get things wrong, block peoples passport for no reason and generally be about as effective as the CSA.
    I agree. I don't think they're any worse than the thousands of CCTV cameras on our streets, I can just think of a million better things to do with the money.
    bongbudda wrote:

I agree - the whole ID card scheme is going to be a gigantic fuckup from start to finish, administered by a load of bungling fools who couldn't manage a Carpet Warehouse loyalty card scheme properly, and it'll eventually collapse in a heap of shame and recriminations and we'll all be about £10 billion poorer.
    "goodbye to the britain we know and love"

I think ID cards are the least of our problems .. how about the collapse of our NHS system, the direpute of our standing in the world due to the war in Iraq, schools fiasco etc ...
    Not wanting to go down the predictable same road for 75 posts, I'll say what I have to say and leave it at that.

The usual irrational shit? Good good.
    - We have gone through this a million times and no, the NHS is not a 'thief', the government is not a 'thief', taxes are not 'theft' and nobody is using or would use 'violence' against you. Move along, nothing to see here.

Yep, the usual utter fucking guff. If you don't pay your taxes, nothing happens to you. Yes, of course, how have i missed it? No doubt all those raids by armed men and people in prisons are a figment of my imaginition?

Theres nothing violent about a gang of armed strangers breaking your door down, kidnapping you, taking all your stuff and putting you in a small box, is there? :rolleyes:

idiot.
    Back on topic -
    I agree - the whole ID card scheme is going to be a gigantic fuckup from start to finish, administered by a load of bungling fools who couldn't manage a Carpet Warehouse loyalty card scheme properly, and it'll eventually collapse in a heap of shame and recriminations and we'll all be about £10 billion poorer.

Of course it's going to be a fuck up - it's a government scheme. The real question is why they want it.
    Sorry mate... I think if you tried anything to stop it you'd end up on the government's hit list so to speak.

I don't think we can stop it... It's a horrible idea too. How will the government afford it?

Probably by making the most deprived individuals suffer.

Don't they have ID cards in Australia?

If enough people refuse to get one then the government will have a very hard to send every last one of us to prison
    The only way to stop it is to ensure that Labour lose the next election to a party that will do away with the scheme.

What has to be done is to get the Tories to promise to get rid of ID cards, then be willing to vote them in..........
    bongbudda wrote:

thats what worries moe more also

the civil liberites will disappear from other things like removing trial by fellow citizens, and in locking people up without charge
    anyway ill be emailing the tories to see if they pledge to remove this godawful scheme and every aspect of it
    Teagan wrote:
    "goodbye to the britain we know and love"

I think ID cards are the least of our problems .. how about the collapse of our NHS system, the direpute of our standing in the world due to the war in Iraq, schools fiasco etc ...

most of those are non-issues, the NHS one mainly comes from changes in way hospitals are paid, technicalities basically

schools fiasco, we always have one :lol:

iraq hmmm possibly the worst thing to threaten our security in a long time
    I have to renew my passport in 2 months :(
    Apparently the Tories will repeal the ID scheme if they win the next election.

Most people on here wouldn't normally dream of voting Tories, would this make you?

The fact that people are considering it (well I am) just shows how much of a mess this Labour govt has made of things.........
    Toadborg wrote:
    Apparently the Tories will repeal the ID scheme if they win the next election.

Most people on here wouldn't normally dream of voting Tories, would this make you?

The fact that people are considering it (well I am) just shows how much of a mess this Labour govt has made of things.........

i just emailed the shadow home secretery saying you will have people voting for you if you pledge to fight it every step of the way, for being a waste of time and money

EU wide biometric passports are another dodgy side development

the thing that annoys me is:
    if they said they'll be issuing everyone with what looks like a drivers license with a little chip on, with your name, DOB, current address only and if you have a uk passport/driverslicense printed on them and said "we'll scrap all existing drivers licenses and passports" - i think virtually noone would disagree with them because they'll be practical with no central database - and it'll be cheaper in long run as you wouldnt need the hassle of admin in the DVLA and passport office
    Renzo wrote:
    I have to renew my passport in 2 months :(

im renewing mine next year before all the biometric stuff, should last long enough for me to go somewhere else in europe
    Can't say I agree with it but hey ho what can ya do! I'm not paying for one though.
    Toadborg wrote:

no.
    the worst kind of democracy is people voting on single issues ...which happens a lot.
    anyway ill be emailing the tories to see if they pledge to remove this godawful scheme and every aspect of it
    For the love of God, don't. I e-mailed the Tory Party a few months ago, and got the most awfully written reply. I'd asked a simple question about top-up fees, and just about the whole e-mail was written by a jumped-up office worker who seemed to be in love with David Cameron. Just don't write to him - you'd get a more coherent response if you sent a letter to the water boiler.
    I'm sorry but I really don't see the big deal with this, yeah sure its shitty that we have to pay, but if you have nothing to hide then whats the problem with carrying a card around?

I'm sure a lot of you have credit cards and stuff and we all know the government has our details anyway so its not much different really.

At least ID-ing underage drinkers n the like will be easier.
    I'm sorry but I really don't see the big deal with this, yeah sure its shitty that we have to pay, but if you have nothing to hide then whats the problem with carrying a card around?

Because I have plenty to hide. There are plenty of things that we all do, including yourself that the government would wish we wouldn't.

You might think it's ok for other people to decide what you do with your life and watch you like a mentally retarded 4 year old. I don't, I say fuck 'em.
    I'm sure a lot of you have credit cards and stuff and we all know the government has our details anyway so its not much different really.

Riiiight. So if they already have all this info, why do they need the ID card?
    klintock wrote:
    You might think it's ok for other people to decide what you do with your life and watch you like a mentally retarded 4 year old. I don't, I say fuck 'em.

I'm not sure what exact details are gonna be on these cards but I'm pretty sure they're not gonna be telling you what to do with your life.

Hmm I need more convincing before I think its a terrible idea.
    Eh?

Surely the fact that some nitwit you've never even met can use threats to make you get one proves my point?

I won't mention the getting stopped at random, the facial scans in raliway stations and all the other crap that will follow from it either.
    klintock wrote:
    Eh?

Surely the fact that some nitwit you've never even met can use threats to make you get one proves my point?

I won't mention the getting stopped at random, the facial scans in raliway stations and all the other crap that will follow from it either.
    it would seem that many people don't mind at all that the country is being turned more and more into an open prison.
    Is there any actual reason we must have ID cards? What exactly has changed so much since 2000, for example?
    klintock wrote:
    Eh?

OK

Are you against passports too?

Maybe it doesn't bother me as much because I'm used to having police checks and things for my job.