Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

hair colour change

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wanting to go from blonde to something different.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    From your pics it looks like you have a pale complexion, so I would not go for anything that extreme or dark.
  • Options
    whatever you do get it done at the hairdressers. i went from ver light blonde and tried to make it auburn. it was adisaster and it cost me just short of one hundred pounds to get fixed!!
  • Options
    Are you me? Because I want to change my hair colour too, and was just thinking of making a thread about it... :chin:
  • Options
    yeah i wouldnt really, my eyebrows are kind of browny tho and the underneath of my hair is darkish. and the solution to the complexion thing, is make up :p
  • Options
    if you're pale best go for something warm with golden/red tones, like a golden brown, nice for summer.

it is best to go to the hairdressers and do a colour consulation to find out what will suit you best, rather than haphazardly trying new colours (like me) then spending millions of pounds and frazzling your hair by stripping it (like me) and never being able to get it back to an exact match of your natural colour (like me :razz: )
  • Options
    if you want to go dark, try doing it in stages, then you can stop when you get to a stage that you really like, rather than trying too dark and having a problem.

maybe try a dark golden blonde first and go from there.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    if you want to go dark, try doing it in stages, then you can stop when you get to a stage that you really like, rather than trying too dark and having a problem.

maybe try a dark golden blonde first and go from there.

Hijack!

You're a hair dye veteran, aren't you kaff? :hyper:

Do you think it'd be possible for me to get my hair to "strawberry blonde" (and I mean that) without going full-on tangerine?
  • Options
    I wouldnt mind going strawberry blonde myself tbh..id want a darker shade of it tho lol. if thats poss like.
  • Options
    i had streaks of it in my hair once and that suited me, but then again it wasnt the same colour all over
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    You're a hair dye veteran, aren't you kaff? :hyper:

Do you think it'd be possible for me to get my hair to "strawberry blonde" (and I mean that) without going full-on tangerine?

yep. but if you do it yourself, i'd try a golden blonde first, cause they tend to turn out pretty strawberry-y. again, it's better to have it not red enough on the first attempt. you can always put more on. it's harder to tone it down, although reddy colours fade the fastest.

i'd also use a permanent dye, and not a temp one, cause temps tend to be waaay more orangey for those kinds of colours, and curiously it's a lot harder to get rid of them.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    yep. but if you do it yourself, i'd try a golden blonde first, cause they tend to turn out pretty strawberry-y. again, it's better to have it not red enough on the first attempt. you can always put more on. it's harder to tone it down, although reddy colours fade the fastest.

i'd also use a permanent dye, and not a temp one, cause temps tend to be waaay more orangey for those kinds of colours, and curiously it's a lot harder to get rid of them.

Cheers! I'll have a wee think about it. I guess it can't go horribly wrong if I do it in baby steps.

*obsessively touches wood*
  • Options
    I always think mousy blonde verging on light brown looks nice.
  • Options
    wee wuman wrote:
    whatever you do get it done at the hairdressers. i went from ver light blonde and tried to make it auburn. it was adisaster and it cost me just short of one hundred pounds to get fixed!!

Why?

Hairdressers get it wrong more times than right

Ive had better success doing my own colour than hairdressers have. As long as you understand simple colouring rules it will go fine with a home dye
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Why?

Ive had better success doing my own colour than hairdressers have. As long as you understand simple colouring rules it will go fine with a home dye

Ditto. :yes: I've had my hair colored professionally a few times, never came out the color I wanted. Not to mention the fact that no matter what they used the color (red) wouldn't stay for more than a week. They were good hair people too, not your average joe or discount ones before you think that.

I box color my hair and I've never been more satisfied. Though I find it best, if your hair is longer than shoulder length, get two boxes so you dont end up with blank spots.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Ditto. :yes: I've had my hair colored professionally a few times, never came out the color I wanted. Not to mention the fact that no matter what they used the color (red) wouldn't stay for more than a week. They were good hair people too, not your average joe or discount ones before you think that.

I box color my hair and I've never been more satisfied. Though I find it best, if your hair is longer than shoulder length, get two boxes so you dont end up with blank spots.

Ive had "permanent" red done which washed out the first time i washed my hair

Ive had "brown" which came out black

Ive had "blonde chunks through the tips of the front layers" which came out as a half head of fine foils

Ive had a "vibrant red highlights" which came out mahogony and hardly noticed against my dark brown hair

Ive never had a single disaster while dying my own hair. Ive done my own highlights, bleached bits, dyed bits every colour under the sun, and its always come out just fine, not to mention ive been able to successfully go back to my natural colour with the help of superdrug permanent dyes.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    ive been able to successfully go back to my natural colour with the help of superdrug permanent dyes.

yay! i have much love for superdrug own brand colours. they've never let me down once.

:heart:
  • Options
    Im going for warm strawberry blonde i think *nods*
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Why?

talking about going from v light blonde to a darker colour like i did. i have dyed my own hair for 14 years but going from blonde to a much darker colour can turn out disasterous as i learned. i dont intend getting the colour done at the hair dressers now its corrected and dark. i just think to be on the safe side or taking it in small steps as someone suggested.
  • Options
    nw_samzi19 wrote:
    Im going for warm strawberry blonde i think *nods*

I stalked... searched and found a picture of you and I think that would be a nice color :)
  • Options
    ive just put bright pink strieks in my hair!!! ive been told it looks good as well!
  • Options
    I'm trying to get rid of a permanent dark red from my hair, I'd like it to be light brown, any tips ppl? My hair is also naturally curly and dry, so once a colour is on, it really 'takes' and always comes out darker than intended.
  • Options
    Well the change happened yesterday. Not exactly strawberry blonde but yeah

raow.jpg