Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

is anyone multiple?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep. From DSM IV

See if you can find a definition of "normal" in there while you are at it.
    I agree, the medical model of mental health is far too narrow and limiting.

Yep.

Of course, the assumption here is that there is such a thing as personality. Which of course there isn't.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    i saw a program a little while ago about a lady with 7 personalities. she had to have full time carers to look after her, and some of the personalities were quite nasty.
    Used to be called Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Fucking hell 7... I had already a hard time managing 2, 7 I can't even imagine, no wonder she had a full time carer...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I agree, the medical model of mental health is far too narrow and limiting.

Yep I think to threat some mental illness, pills and other aint the solution.
    The role of the psychatrist would be to be able to sort of come into the world the person with mental illness is, try to understand it and try to find what trigger the problem in the first place. But well it's too much work for them, so they rather drug you instead, make their jobs much muc easier...
  • Options
    Fucking hell 7... I had already a hard time managing 2, 7 I can't even imagine, no wonder she had a full time carer...

I saw that program too and the woman was complete nuts. It didnt seem like you at all, but then again, I didnt know you when you were bad, and obviously she wasnt you, so her problems wouldnt be the same as yours, even if the illness had the same name.
  • Options
    I saw that program too and the woman was complete nuts. It didnt seem like you at all, but then again, I didnt know you when you were bad.

Well when I was really bad to start with I have no one at all with me and was going to wor monday to friday as a graphic designer, so far from being that bad...
  • Options
    May I ask what was your alternative method of dealing with the disorder that seems to have worked for you?
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    i saw a program a little while ago about a lady with 7 personalities. she had to have full time carers to look after her, and some of the personalities were quite nasty.
    Used to be called Dissociative Identity Disorder.
    oh i remember that, she'd just change without warning. Sometimes she'd be a little boy, or a teenager....they'd write in a diary and even the handwriting was different and she never remembers any of it.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    May I ask what was your alternative method of dealing with the disorder that seems to have worked for you?

Will power, it's all about will power, becoming stronger than the other personality... But it aint easy, it aint easy at all... Took me around 20 years to be able to control it perfectly... Now there is nothing the other do I can not control or stop... But well it is in my case, it might not be possible for all cases...
  • Options
    my mates bf claims to be schizophrenic and have multiple personality....he says he has another personality that makes him get angry and depressed...but i think it's just him losing his temper and wanting to be 'different' teen angst. How is it diagnosed?
  • Options
    do you suffer from scizophrenia too, nmm? loads of my family do and at times i worry if i might one day! :( but at the moment im pretty much ok. never had multiple personalities, though i used to pretend i did, to quite an extent, because it made my friends laugh (they knew it was a joke - mind you, i carried on with it for about a year and developed different emotions in different 'modes', quite bizarre).

glad to hear you're coping with it well :)
  • Options
    do you suffer from scizophrenia too, nmm? loads of my family do and at times i worry if i might one day! :( but at the moment im pretty much ok. never had multiple personalities, though i used to pretend i did, to quite an extent, because it made my friends laugh (they knew it was a joke - mind you, i carried on with it for about a year and developed different emotions in different 'modes', quite bizarre).

glad to hear you're coping with it well :)

I don't know about the scizophrenia part tbh... I haven't see a psy in now more than 8 years and well I was never really helpful regarding the as I have never tld them anything... Well tbh my other didn't wanted to be find out, so basically they never fund much about me... They did shit lot of tests, they find out there was someting no normal in there, but have never bee able to sort out what exactly...

Frankly I didn't want to be help, so it did make their job much much easier, I don't believe in external help and think most psy don't have a clue what they are talking about...
  • Options
    Will power, it's all about will power, becoming stronger than the other personality... But it aint easy, it aint easy at all... Took me around 20 years to be able to control it perfectly... Now there is nothing the other do I can not control or stop... But well it is in my case, it might not be possible for all cases...
    Wow, that's pretty impressive.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Wow, that's pretty impressive.

I guess so, but frankly I would have hope for a more simpliest way to deal with it, I could have choose the easy way ad just take pills for the rest of my life, but I went the other way, it was harder and left me with some regrets and scars due to SH, but then again I culdn't be more proud of myself and I tink it make me quite a strong person...
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    my mates bf claims to be schizophrenic and have multiple personality....he says he has another personality that makes him get angry and depressed...but i think it's just him losing his temper and wanting to be 'different' teen angst. How is it diagnosed?

schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder are not the same thing
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder are not the same thing
    that's what i thought...but schizophrenia can include allsorts
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    that's what i thought...but schizophrenia can include allsorts

but not multiple personality disorder
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    but not multiple personality disorder

I thought there were links to them though, scizophrenic people were more prone, i mean i wouldnt like to say anything as fact as i dont know precisely... my aunty talks to the t.v. which is a bit strange, but she doesnt seem to mind at all :/
  • Options
    I guess so, but frankly I would have hope for a more simpliest way to deal with it, I could have choose the easy way ad just take pills for the rest of my life, but I went the other way, it was harder and left me with some regrets and scars due to SH, but then again I culdn't be more proud of myself and I tink it make me quite a strong person...
    Have you ever tried seeking alternative help though? With complementary or alternative methods?
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Have you ever tried seeking alternative help though? With complementary or alternative methods?

Nope never. Also I have heard only of alternative method back in France but few months later I ended up in England and never manage to give it a shot...

Apparantly it was a guy who stopped psychatry because he didn't like the restriction and was really pushing people, even to the point where it would make you hit some sand back and other and really go deep into your problems...

Also I don't know if it would have done any good and if this is what you meant by alternative method...
  • Options
    This Mind booklet about disociative disorders might help to clear up your questions.
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    This Mind booklet about disociative disorders might help to clear up your questions.

Thanks, seems like a link with some useful information...
  • Options
    I watched a documentary about this sorta thing once! Some woman had about 7 different personalities.. some of them male/female, some of them kids and adults (I think.. been a while since I seen it), she did actually sound like a 5 year old kid and had the same mannerisms.

It turned out to be some really deep psychological defense because she was sexually abused as a kid and she'd switch off and pretend she was someone else whilst it was happening, that was how she dealt with it. Was definitely fucked up and I really did feel sorry for her, but it was freaky watching her chattin to the presenter and then suddenly change into another person.