Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Blocked ear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My ear is blocked and I can't hear out of it. Any ideas on how to pop it? Tried holding my nose and blowing already btw.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cleaning it? :p

But seriously, you could try doing that or it could also be the start of an ear infection. Thats how mine began.

I am sure if you look down the chemists they will have some sort of drops for that sort of thing. I have never used one myself but I know people who have and they have like a tablet version.

You will just have to ask which is on prescription and not.
    This may sound silly but i got told to do this after i had my ear infection!

To clean your ears out, warm some olive oil slightly (obviously not boiling) and pour a drop into your ear, then sit with your head on a side for 5 or 10 minutes. Probably best to do it just before you go to bed, as the oil loosens any wax build ups in your ear.

Dont start jabbing your ears with cotton buds though as your just compressing the gunk further into the depths of your ear hole!! :confused:

It seems to work for me!! :yippe:
    don't use cotton wool buds you'll just push it further down the ear canal.

use olive oil like the above poster said. better than those earex things or whatever they're called an a fraction of the price.
    yep olive oil might work.

last term i got an ear infection and both my ears were blocked. was virtually deaf for about 5 days. hope its not an infection youre getting!! hopefully its only temporary cuz ear infections suc!!
    Might try the olive oil. I don't think its an ear infection becuase got a cold and think its just that that made it blocked. Its starting to pop on its own now and hurting like a bugger.
    I have ear ache too :(
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    My ear is blocked and I can't hear out of it. Any ideas on how to pop it? Tried holding my nose and blowing already btw.

Don't do that!!

Espacially when you have flu, I did that about 6 years ago and ever since get reoccurring ear infections in the left ear
    ~kaz~ wrote:

Personally, I found that blowing my nose actually blocks my ears...
    Sofie wrote:
    Personally, I found that blowing my nose actually blocks my ears...

I think the theory behind it is that your sinusses connect your nose and ear passages. If you hold your nose and exhale through your nose it forces the air through your sinusses and into your ears. Where it then creates pressure. If you create enough, in theory, any residual ear wax causing a block will be 'blasted' out.

But it could also do damage to your ears. I normally just soak my ears under the water in a warm bath. One of my friends told me getting water in your ears can make you go deaf though. I think I'll take that one with a pinch of salt...
    I definitely recommend getting some ear drops n stuff and NOT using cotton buds - they've become my enemy.

I've just been given steroid/antibiotic drops for my ears because I apparently have an infection called Otitis Externa - which sounds more like a Harry Potter spell than an ear infection :lol: Oh well.

Ilora x
    Don't do that!!

Espacially when you have flu, I did that about 6 years ago and ever since get reoccurring ear infections in the left ear

I have a feeling that may not be actually linked.

If you dont feel like using olive oil, use mineral oil, one drop per ear a day. Its not greasy and less weird sounding; to me at least :p
    If it's a wax blockage then olive oil can work, however not olive oil from your kitchen! you can purchase the olive oil you need from the chemist, or you can just ask at the counter for some ear drops which are part peanut oil and a load of other stuff too, they never really worked for me, though my actual hearing is damaged.

If it's just a water blockage from swimming or something, a vigourous shake of the head usually did the trick for me.
    Its not coz of water, happened due to my cold. Doesn't help that my job consists of audio typing so can't really hear! Might go to chemist today.
    it's not necessarily an infection just 'cause it's blocked, chances are 'cause you've been sniffing with your cold it's just blocked.
    The oil from the chemist can be used in cooking... So by that theory the oil from the kitchen can be used to unblock ears.. all does the same thing! I use both kinds, depends if i have some oil from chemist or not....
    Don't put anything smaller than your elbow into your ear!

If you can get a lukewarm jet of water, use that to blast it away (if there's anything there!) That's all the doctor does anyways.
    What I've found ideal (and I just found this by chance) - y'know with some fancy toothbrushes, you get a jetstream of water too, so you can rinse.
    Well that's good!

remember - nothing smaller than your elbow!