Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Whats more important - the job & the money it gives you or the area & people?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what is more important, the job & money or location and people?

My aunt is coming over to visit soon and she is an MP. I am considering asking her if she can get me a decent job back in the old country as finding work here is very hard and even more so in the field I got my degree in. No quarentees she can of course but its a possibility.

However, going back would mean seeing people I don't want to see and being somewhere I have been and am over now. I have no desire to go back and nor to see these people again.

So if I get a chance with a decent job and decent money over there, I don't know what I'd do. It sucks here with stuff but I know it, and it sucks there but might have better prospects.

so what do you think is more important generally? people and location or job & money?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    People and location for me - who would want to spend their whole life wishing they were somewhere else?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    People and location all the way.

I would hate to be in a £50k job and hate the people and it have no atmosphere. I want to work in a comfortable environment instead of go home and dread work the next day.
    Walkindude wrote:
    So what is more important, the job & money or location and people?
    My aunt is coming over to visit soon and she is an MP. I am considering asking her if she can get me a decent job back in the old country as finding work here is very hard and even more so in the field I got my degree in. No quarentees she can of course but its a possibility.
    However, going back would mean seeing people I don't want to see and being somewhere I have been and am over now. I have no desire to go back and nor to see these people again.
    So if I get a chance with a decent job and decent money over there, I don't know what I'd do. It sucks here with stuff but I know it, and it sucks there but might have better prospects.
    so what do you think is more important generally? people and location or job & money?

What country? You spend a lot of your time at work if you work full time so if you're not happy there it's going to have a big impact on your life. Good money means you can afford to go out and enjoy yourself in your free time.

If you have no desire to go back, then don't ask your Aunt, just look for opportunities yourself.
    Australia.

I don't knwo what I wnat. I mean I am in a dedcent city here and have friends but I'm not exactly alight with success.

I just don't wanna have to see the family over there that I'd have to.
    Instinctively i would say people and area however saying that if it was a job that would set me up to have a great career and get the experience with the bonus of some extra cash then i would go for the job and money, its not like it would be forever! nothing wrong with looking out for yourself first! Also you might make some new friends on this job.

Good luck
    Job & money (more job than money) for me as long as my familly follow I don't care about the area or the people, but then again I will follow my job no matter where it ask me to go as long as our company goal is still the same.

But I love my job and my boss is my best friend so it make the decision much easier.

If it was to go work with some ass holes just to get more cash I probably wouldn't do it.
    I'd be willing to work for more money in a shit place for a short period, while I'm saving up, for example, but not for any length of time.
    I'd say the area and the people. Money doesn't make me happy. Having a nice job and having nice people to work with would.

Last summer, I had to cycle 16 miles a day. It was too far away and it tired me out.

Also, most of the people were foreign so I could never talk to them.

The job itself, made me miserable but I stayed for the money. This year, I've decided to stay at uni over summer and get a job here. Hopefully I'll find something better.
    What's money for but to keep you healthy and happy?

Money. It gives you the power to make your own choices quite simply. Why rely on a company for anything else other than this? But people and location very very close second. Money is a life support and lifestyle enabler. But to pursue it for its own sake won't lead to happiness. Money is a tool there to be used: e.g. renting or saving for a property, going out and for looking after yourself. Money isn't there to be looked at.

Sometimes you can take a job that pays less but offers you better location and people, where as you could take a better job in an ugly industrial area full of office dullards.

You'd spend the money in the better paid job on things that make up for the negatives of the job. So the net effect is that you're no better off than the lower paid job with nice people and location.

Trouble is, those nice people move on and get replaced by those whom you don't get on with and your company decides that it's nice location is too expensive to maintain and moves out to somewhere cheaper but less desirable.

I think what's more important is you have a highly valued skillset and if you can work in a location where there are many organisations that you could work for. Wages and conditions might be good as the companies compete to retain staff of your skillset. Then you can hop from one to the other if things turn bad. On the other hand a concentration of companies in one place means they can get complacent about looking after you knowing that they can poach people from other places if the offer they make is good enough. They won't tell you that the newbie is paid more than you. But I'd still rather work in this environment than at a location where there are no other companies nearby as you get too dependent on that one company, get institutionalised and stale and lose confidence in your skills marketability.

I've been through several job cuts and redundancies and am relieved to know there is somewhere up or down the road that is interested in my skillset.

At the end of the day it's all about compromise, no matter what job you do. 2nd hand opinions but probably realistic: if you're a celebrity you'll get bored of the paparazzi some of the time, if you're a broadcaster you'll get board of all those voice over retakes you need to do and the insecurity/instability of the market. You'll get sick of your city and relish times moving out. You'll get sick of living in the sticks and want to move back to the city. People won't admit some or all of these things but they're all true.

Variety is the spice of life and money gives you the power personally to make this happen rather than relying on someone else.
    Go for the job and the money, the other two you can sort out later.
    As long as the salary meets the bills and a little extra, then go for wherever you feel comfortable. A good environment has got to be a good thing for you and anyone at home so you don't go home miserable every day. I was in my most recent job for seven years before being made redundant and I loved it and considered everyone my friend. When the hammer fell though, it wasn't too long before virtually all my "friends" disappeared into the sunset. A natural but sad way for things to go.