Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

junk food ads

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a mate who did that and the same thing happened.

BUT!

He got a van and started delivering to the old folks (who prefer this kind of food, not being raised on crap) and is now doing quite well.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It costs me £1 for a 5kg bag of chips, or £1 for six baking potatoes. I have no money. What do I choose?
    It costs me £1 for 4 value beefburgers, or £2 for half as much quality mince. I have no money. What do I choose?

Where on earth do you buy your food? £2 for a 20kg sack of potatos last time i looked.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It costs me 40p for a litre of processed value orange juice, or £1.50 for fresh orange. I have no money. What do I choose?
    It costs me £1 for a 5kg bag of chips, or £1 for six baking potatoes. I have no money. What do I choose?
    It costs me £1 for 4 value beefburgers, or £2 for half as much quality mince. I have no money. What do I choose?

1L of fruit juice from frozen concentrate costs about 40p

having chips with dinner isnt that bad for you if you have veggies and stuff with it

most of the problem is that people want convenience and are lazy, nothing else

supermarkets mug you for fresh food prices, go butchers etc if you want cheapest
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I had a mate who did that and the same thing happened.

BUT!

He got a van and started delivering to the old folks (who prefer this kind of food, not being raised on crap) and is now doing quite well.

Yeah he did deliveries to people who had trouble getting out of the house. It's a shame it went down the pan. He set it up himself and everything.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that. :(
  • Options
    Thanks. Good luck to your mate!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    My mum taught me to cook, and what I didn't know I've been taught by the boss. I'm quite a good cook now, even if I say so myself.

I was fortunate to have proper cookery lessons at middle school. No cookery teaching at upper school though- if mummy can't cook, what chance does junior have then?

Even if there are kitchens, its all about "science" not teaching kids to put meat and two veg on a table at the same time. It's all about making cakes for diabetics and crap like that- great for advanced learners, but useless if you can't roast a chicken and steam veg first.

so true :lol:

preparing vegan food, dont help if people arent even shown how to cook things until they're cooked
  • Options
    I agree with Kermit's analysis in part but think he displaces the blame disproportionately and confines the responsibility too much outside of the home. The advertising companies certainly do have a lot to answer for but so do the parents. I think cost plays a large part in the choices that people make when purchasing food but that apathy also plays a large role. While it might be cheaper to buy supermarket chips than spuds, it’s also a lot easier.

Educating parents and kids, and informing them about food certainly plays a large role, but just glancing at the back of a packet of frozen burgers lets you know there is a whole bunch of crap in them that shouldn’t be there. My housemate bought “lamb” burgers the other day and on inspection of the back of the packet we found: 40% lamb, 45% mutton and 15% heart along with a whole host of additives and random ingredients you’d never expect to find in there. Now it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to work out that’s not right.

If you’re skint it is perfectly possible to source good wholesome food cheaply, I do it and it just takes more effort. I can go to my local fish monger and pick a couple of large Mackerel and a Trout for well under a fiver. Taking myself off to the butchers who is a twenty minute walk away rather than visiting the supermarket at the button of the road affords me the ability to pick up cheaper cuts of meat and offal, costing me a lot less. The grocers’ market is a brisk walk away but is a lot cheaper than buying supermarket veg.
  • Options
    Aye.

If you fall for advertising, you deserve an early grave.

Darwin awards all round!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Aye.

If you fall for advertising, you deserve an early grave.

Darwin awards all round!

I don't think people always fall for advertising as such. I’m not sure it’s necessarily the visual and verbal diarrhea spewing out of the idiot box that snares people, it’s the planting of a brand name.

I’m guilty of being susceptible to it myself. When buying a product for the first time I normally buy the cheapest one of the brand names that I know, subconsciously thinking it’ll be at least half decent quality because I recognize it.
  • Options
    I don't think people always fall for advertising as such. I’m not sure it’s necessarily the visual and verbal diarrhea spewing out of the idiot box that snares people, it’s the planting of a brand name.

It's the moving pictures about that does it. And it works.
    I’m guilty of being susceptible to it myself. When buying a product for the first time I normally buy the cheapest one of the brand names that I know, subconsciously thinking it’ll be at least half decent quality because I recognize it.

:yes:
  • Options
    I think cost plays a large part in the choices that people make when purchasing food but that apathy also plays a large role. While it might be cheaper to buy supermarket chips than spuds, it’s also a lot easier.

I don't think its apathy as such.

But sure, convenience plays a part. I'm as guilty as the next person of being very lazy when it comes to cooking, when I've been out at work all day, often for 10, 11 or even 12 hours.
    If you’re skint it is perfectly possible to source good wholesome food cheaply, I do it and it just takes more effort.

The nearest butcher to me is in the next suburb/village along, a couple of miles away.

Apart from that, there's nowt. There's a huge market in town, cheap and great quality, open 10-5 every day. Which is great if you work in town and have an hour for lunch to get round it. Most of us don't anymore. That's the problem- we're all too busy at work to go to the market, so we have to go to the supermarket instead.

Supermarket prices are often high for fresh produce, but if nowhere else is open when you're free, what choice is there?

And to be honest, who looks at the ingredients in the shop? I know I don't. I'm not daft enough to be taken in by a lot of advertising jargon, but if something says 100% meat, then I'd expect it to be 100% meat.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

The nearest butcher to me is in the next suburb/village along, a couple of miles away.

Apart from that, there's nowt. There's a huge market in town, cheap and great quality, open 10-5 every day. Which is great if you work in town and have an hour for lunch to get round it. Most of us don't anymore. That's the problem- we're all too busy at work to go to the market, so we have to go to the supermarket instead.

Supermarket prices are often high for fresh produce, but if nowhere else is open when you're free, what choice is there?

Surely it’s worth the hassle of rushing down there on a Monday and picking up enough fresh fruit and veg to last out the week? Even if it is a ball ache.

And to be honest, who looks at the ingredients in the shop? I know I don't. I'm not daft enough to be taken in by a lot of advertising jargon, but if something says 100% meat, then I'd expect it to be 100% meat.

I always look at the back of the packets when shopping. It’s amazing to see the list of things that go into a product when you’d imagine there should only be one or two. The other week I found the main ingredient of ASDA Smartprice pâté to be connective tissue and the main ingredient of ASDA Salmon paste to be Mackerel.
  • Options
    whats a typical weekly food budget for a family of 4 would you say,buying cheap convenient stuff?
    i want to work out if its possible to buy the same value of healthy food from a supermarket.
  • Options
    I always look at the back of the packets when shopping. It’s amazing to see the list of things that go into a product when you’d imagine there should only be one or two. The other week I found the main ingredient of ASDA Smartprice pâté to be connective tissue and the main ingredient of ASDA Salmon paste to be Mackerel.
    see even that wouldnt bother me as much. Theres nothing poisonous about connective tissue or having mackeral in a salmon paste. Theres also nothing wrong with having mutton and heart in a lamb burger. Its the list of dangerous chemicals, a fair proportion of which are legal in this country, yet banned in much of Europe, or at the very least not recommended by the hyperactive childrens support group.
    http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/parentsjury/add_2.htm
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

yes but the people who live in cities shouldnt have these problems

and you'd ask yourself 'what meat is it though'

like mcdonalds does rightfully claim their beefburgers are 100% meat, the thing is a proper beef burger is supposed to have herbs and egg in it :lol:
  • Options
    Mc Donalds burgers "are made with 100% beef" which means they could have rhino in for all we know.
  • Options
    see even that wouldnt bother me as much. Theres nothing poisonous about connective tissue or having mackeral in a salmon paste. Theres also nothing wrong with having mutton and heart in a lamb burger. Its the list of dangerous chemicals, a fair proportion of which are legal in this country, yet banned in much of Europe, or at the very least not recommended by the hyperactive childrens support group.
    http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/parentsjury/add_2.htm

I agree completely. The E numbers, preservatives, stabilisers etc are the ingredients that will damage your health. I was just trying outline why it is often a lot cheaper to buy supermarket goods; they're not what they say they are and the nutritional value is often negligible.
  • Options
    The other week I found the main ingredient of ASDA Smartprice pâté to be connective tissue...

:yuck:

There's probably nothing wrong with eating that, but not for me, thanks. It makes me glad I don't eat meat because I'm pretty big on checking up on nutritional information/ingredients and I'd have to do it a lot more if I was filling my fridge with pâté etc.

Feeding kids with a budget that is in pence rather than pounds CAN be done, and (at least, relatively) healthily. My mam did it for thirty years, worked full time and had no help from my dad.

"Pester power" is without a doubt a huge factor, but that makes it even more obvious that parents need to reclaim their role...and their authority concerning things like food and the couch tattie lifestyle most kids have. It's all getting a bit ridiculous.
  • Options
    yes mummy briggi
  • Options
    I agree completely. The E numbers, preservatives, stabilisers etc are the ingredients that will damage your health. I was just trying outline why it is often a lot cheaper to buy supermarket goods; they're not what they say they are and the nutritional value is often negligible.

It's not exactly a shock that cheaply produced processed shit won't have any nutritional value.

But for many people the key factor in buying an item is price, closely followed by convenience.

I don't work in the city centre, how can I get to the city centre market in my 30-minute lunch break? Butchers and markets aren't open when I can get to them, so what choice is there, really?

Eating habits have changed because people work longer, and normally both parents work full-time now. It's a problem, but there isn't a right lot that can be done. If the butcher's shuts before I get home, but Tesco is open all night, I'm going to do my shopping at Tesco.

Eating well can be done on a budget, but you need the time to do it. I can make a huge vat of stew for a quid, and it'll do six or eight portions, but it takes four hours or more to cook. Not easy to prepare when I'm at my desk. When both parents have to work full-time to pay the ridiculous house prices and travel prices, it becomes so much harder to cook cheap good food.
  • Options
    A slow cooker is your friend. :thumb:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    A slow cooker is your friend. :thumb:

They cost a fortune, and it still takes ages to prepare it.

And they're dangerous if they're on too long. And they're a pain to clean.

And so on:p
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's not exactly a shock that cheaply produced processed shit won't have any nutritional value.

But for many people the key factor in buying an item is price, closely followed by convenience.

It’s not a shocker for sure, but what’s the point of eating it if it had no nutritional value and the chances are it could be detrimental to your health. You could justify eating cardboard if you’re not worrying about nutritional value and are worrying about price and convenience.
    I don't work in the city centre, how can I get to the city centre market in my 30-minute lunch break? Butchers and markets aren't open when I can get to them, so what choice is there, really?

If I can’t get meat of quality I don’t eat it. I’m not vegan or evangelical about the quality of my meat, it’s just that I won’t eat shite quality food and if that means not eating that type of food at all then I won’t.
    Eating habits have changed because people work longer, and normally both parents work full-time now. It's a problem, but there isn't a right lot that can be done. If the butcher's shuts before I get home, but Tesco is open all night, I'm going to do my shopping at Tesco.

Eating well can be done on a budget, but you need the time to do it. I can make a huge vat of stew for a quid, and it'll do six or eight portions, but it takes four hours or more to cook. Not easy to prepare when I'm at my desk. When both parents have to work full-time to pay the ridiculous house prices and travel prices, it becomes so much harder to cook cheap good food.

The slow cooker is an excellent idea. It allows you to eat the cheaper cuts of meat which need cooking longer and after roughly chopping a few veggies, sloshing in some cheap red wine you can have a wicked stew.