Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

junk food ads

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
plans to control junk food adverts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4851642.stm

i don't really think this will have much effect,surely its the parents responsibility to educate kids about what foods are good for them?

if parents did'nt cram their fridges with crap,then this would be a bigger help imo.
yet more evidence of a "nanny state",perhaps?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Perhaps, but then I'd say that if there were no legislation governing some level of decency among the corperate community, very little of it would exist.

You are absolutly correct though, many parents completely fail their children by failing to feed them properly.
    Why not removed junk food instead...

The problems doesn't come from advertisement but from the crap some companies are allowed to create and distribute.
    Why not removed junk food instead...

The problems doesn't come from advertisement but from the crap some companies are allowed to create and distribute.

:lol:

That is so true.

It's a bit pathetic that some people seemingly can't eat junk food in moderation, and are so easily influenced/led by advertising. Are we becoming (are we already?) completely mindless.
    It's not that we're becoming mindless, its that these companies are experts at marketing, and know how to convince people.

Take Sunny Delight. Marketed to kids as fun and tasty, and it'll help them make friends too! Marketed to mums as healthy, and even sold in the chiller cabinets in the supermarket.

These companies are bright, and I think people completely under-estimate "pester power". The blame lies with the advertising execs and the corporate shit-feeders, not parents.

It's about time advertising was controlled more, and execs who go beyond the rules should be fined the entirety of their turnover for the year.
    I completely agree, I have a problem with advertising aimed at kids anyway and if it can be linked to a decline in their health (common sense, here, I think) it's right to move towards banning it.
    Yep, I think the Swedes might have the right idea - they've banned all advertising aimed at under-12s.
    absolutely should ban 80% of the shitty `so called` food aimed at children - high salt, high fat, high sugar, a long list of chemicals, colourings artificial flavourings, artificial sweeteners that i couldnt even pronounce. Evidence that half this stuff sends a good proportion of our children sky high. Stores up god knows what problems for the future. I wouldnt give my kid a line of speed, yet i may as well do with the effect some of these colourings have on him!
    Ban them totally.
    At least banning the advertising of them is a step in the right direction though.
    I wouldnt give my kid a line of speed, yet i may as well do with the effect some of these colourings have on him!

:D :thumb:
    i avoid industrial food as much as possible.
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Yep, I think the Swedes might have the right idea - they've banned all advertising aimed at under-12s.

They also banned Donald Duck because he didn't wear pants. :chin:

I have a love/hate relationship with ads. I'd love to be rid and yet I know it will never happen. And like Kermit said, those guys are experts at what they do and always find ways to have their way. There's a ban on advertising beer in Iceland, but it doesn't stop the sellers from advertising it. All they do is that skip the word "beer" and don't mention alcohol percentages. And everybody still knows what's going on.

But I suppose it's worth a try. I won't cry the loss of advertisements. :)
    ban this ban that!
    all these bans that are being asked for or implemented are surely a sign that common sense is dis apearing fast.
    what is wrong with taking resposibility for ourselves instead of asking the kings men to do all our thinking for us ...the powers that be must love all these dumbed down dependant people.
    ban this ban that!
    all these bans that are being asked for or implemented are surely a sign that common sense is dis apearing fast.
    what is wrong with taking resposibility for ourselves instead of asking the kings men to do all our thinking for us ...the powers that be must love all these dumbed down dependant people.
    they wouldnt NEED to be banned if people had the scruples to NOT make this stuff and advertise it as childrens food - advertisements geared at the poor and uneducated :(
    its one of the darker sides to capitalism (not that there is much of a bright side to contrast with it)
    ban this ban that!
    i agree,if people are too thick and stupid to not realise that their kids get fat when fed with shit,then perhaps we should ban stupid people from having kids in the first place.
    We should ban banning.
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i agree,if people are too thick and stupid to not realise that their kids get fat when fed with shit,then perhaps we should ban stupid people from having kids in the first place.
    its not about getting fat, its about poisoning the nations next generation because a few multinational corporations want to save a few bucks by using cheap flavourings and colourings instead of proper ingredients. Selling it cheaply, market it at lower class children with the ful knowledge that pester power is a FANTASTIC way of getting your product sold. The amount of ignorant people who think " well if it was that dangerous, then they wouldnt be allowed to sell it" Ive heard so many people say that as they give their 2 year old a glass of diet coke with their chicken nuggets - honestly, i despair sometimes. Yes these parents shouldnt be so stupid, but its not the childrens fault, and theyre the ones who are gonna suffer.
    Of course it should be illegal to advertise dangerous additive riddled food as healthy and nutritious and fun for children - its false advertising for a start.
    DEANO MAC wrote:

Simplistic and wrong.

Kids aren't getting fat because of what they eat, they're getting fat because they never do owt. Who's fault is that? The "stupid" parent, or the government official who sold the school's playing fields for housing, and then gave children hours of homework every night?

The problem with "shit" is that it is cheap, and directly marketed at people who have no money, no time, and no ability to cook cheaply themselves.

It's great knowing that veg is great. It costs me £1 for a few florettes of broccoli- I could feed my kids for a week on value chips for that. That's the biggest problem. Even if I know chips are shit, if I have no money, what am I supposed to do? Processed food is cheap, and for a lot of people the cost is the thing that influences their decision the most.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:
    Simplistic and wrong.

Kids aren't getting fat because of what they eat, they're getting fat because they never do owt. Who's fault is that? The "stupid" parent, or the government official who sold the school's playing fields for housing, and then gave children hours of homework every night?

The problem with "shit" is that it is cheap, and directly marketed at people who have no money, no time, and no ability to cook cheaply themselves.

It's great knowing that veg is great. It costs me £1 for a few florettes of broccoli- I could feed my kids for a week on value chips for that. That's the biggest problem. Even if I know chips are shit, if I have no money, what am I supposed to do? Processed food is cheap, and for a lot of people the cost is the thing that influences their decision the most.

Well put.

Children these days are NOT active - I used to walk 5 minutes to school - people who lived in houses LITERALLY HALF THE DISTANCE used to give their children a lift. W.T.F? The child could have WALKED there faster.

And yes, cost too - veg is madly expensive - and a meal at McDonalds/KFC/Bugger King is cheap. Cheaper than you can buy it - so why not? Saves money, and the children and happy and full.
    It's a combination of lack of exercise, and arguably the worst dietary habits ever known to mankind.

There is far more saturated fats and sugars being consumed today than at any other time in the past. How could it be otherwise, what with most children having a daily intake of McShite burgers, packets of crisps and gallons of fizzy drink?
    The whole thing about McDonald's is a useful scapegoat, but misses the point entirely. Most people don't eat at Maccy D's every night, regardless of what people say.

Most shit food is cooked in the home. Fish fingers instead of fresh fish, chips instead of fresh potatoes and vegetables, orange squash instead of orange juice and fruit. All because the processed version is much much cheaper than the natural version.

It costs me 40p for a litre of processed value orange juice, or £1.50 for fresh orange. I have no money. What do I choose?
    It costs me £1 for a 5kg bag of chips, or £1 for six baking potatoes. I have no money. What do I choose?
    It costs me £1 for 4 value beefburgers, or £2 for half as much quality mince. I have no money. What do I choose?

And that's before saying that value cola is cheaper than value bottled water. That value chocolate (25p) is cheaper than two bananas. That value crisps are cheaper than apples. And that even if you do buy good quality food at home, at school its a vending machine full of chocolate and fizzy pop, and its chips for breaktime snack and dinner.
    Kermit wrote:
    Simplistic and wrong.

you see,i don't really agree that good food is that expensive tbh.fresh veg insnt that expensive,and meat such as chicken is very cheap imo.
    with just a little more effort decent meals can be made cheaply.
    a quid for broccoli? where the hell do you shop? i buy that every week for about thirty odd pence
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    you see,i don't really agree that good food is that expensive tbh.fresh veg insnt that expensive,and meat such as chicken is very cheap imo.

I'm not saying fresh quality food is expensive, but it is more expensive than processed crap. That's beyond a question.
    with just a little more effort decent meals can be made cheaply.

Yeah, but you also need to know how to cook, and have the time to cook.

If your parents can't cook, and school doesn't teach you, how the heck are you supposed to know what to do with broccoli?
    a quid for broccoli? where the hell do you shop? i buy that every week for about thirty odd pence

It's more than 30p, that's for certain.

My point wasn't the exact prices, but that fresh produce is far more expensive than processed rubbish. A kilo of value carrots at Asda costs the same as two kilos of value chips, and the chips don't take as long to cook, and don't require any cooking skill.

Plus the kids will eat the chips.

People aren't getting fat because of what they eat. That's the biggest myth there is. We eat on average 750kCal a day less than in 1955. We just, unfortunately, burn off 1100kCal a day less because we all have desk jobs. The kids stay inside more, because when they go out they get ASBOs for daring to play footy on the street. They get hours of homework a night. The school playing fields are gone. And so on and so forth.
    i dont believe that bad food is the sole cause,i'm just saying that parents do have a responsibility,and could do more for their kids diets.
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    parents do have a responsibility,and could do more for their kids diets.

For sure.

They could start by chopping the plug off the playstation, and buying them a rugby ball.

Many people have responsibilties. Schools should remove the shit from their vending machines and canteens, they should teach cooking not "domestic science", and they should completely revamp the PE syllabus.

I actually blame PE teachers for most of what is wrong. Is it any wonder kids don't want to play sport when they are routinely abused and bullied for not being David Beckham? The PE teachers at my school put me off physical exercise for ten years or more because of their bullying- I hated it because I wasn't a top footballer, and was abused for not being so, so I didn't do any sport. Small wonder really.
    Kermit wrote:
    I actually blame PE teachers for most of what is wrong. Is it any wonder kids don't want to play sport when they are routinely abused and bullied for not being David Beckham? The PE teachers at my school put me off physical exercise for ten years or more because of their bullying- I hated it because I wasn't a top footballer, and was abused for not being so, so I didn't do any sport. Small wonder really.
    I agree on this... PE for me was just another excuse to be bullied.

Sometimes I wonder why parents don't take their kids more places, rather than plonk them in front of the TV or a Playstation. Maybe... Maybe parents walk longer hours though.

Perhaps it has something to do with teenage mothers who have trouble cooking, managing their time and looking after their kids? I'm not targetting them... Just an idea.
    It is a pity that it would be unethical to teach a kid to read a map properly, and drop them in the middle of somewhere once a week, and wait for them to get back

I suppose if they have to be somewhere on that particular week, give them a bike as well
    Kermit wrote:

How true this is.
    And in a classroom, I don't have to compete against the 1st class student in the same way I need to in PE. Playing football against kids who are in the national under 21 team, for example, gets old really fast, and those kids who are creaming the rest aren't even enjoying it.

I can see why PE is in schools, but I don't think that it's achieving anything it's meant to achieve. I think other ideas regarding how to get kids to go out and have fun are needed.

And yes, parents are responsible as well.
    Kermit wrote:
    For sure.

They could start by chopping the plug off the playstation, and buying them a rugby ball.

Many people have responsibilties. Schools should remove the shit from their vending machines and canteens, they should teach cooking not "domestic science", and they should completely revamp the PE syllabus.

i agree,i had much the same sort of shit at school myself.
    as for cooking, my mum and my nan taught me and i quite enjoy it as an adult.i'm no gordon ramsey but i can cook half decent healthy meals,and don't think its too difficult tbh.teaching kids to cook is a must imo,did'nt realise they don't.
    my missus is already teaching our three yr old grandson how to make pastry and cakes!
    he loves it.
    My mum taught me to cook, and what I didn't know I've been taught by the boss. I'm quite a good cook now, even if I say so myself.

I was fortunate to have proper cookery lessons at middle school. No cookery teaching at upper school though- if mummy can't cook, what chance does junior have then?

Even if there are kitchens, its all about "science" not teaching kids to put meat and two veg on a table at the same time. It's all about making cakes for diabetics and crap like that- great for advanced learners, but useless if you can't roast a chicken and steam veg first.
    A friend of mine set up a fruit and veg business at a community centre. It was called Local Roots and the emphasis being that the fruit and veg was locally sourced and also cheap. £1.50 a bag and it included the usual 'staple' veg like 1kg potatoes, carrots, couple of onions as well as whatever was in season. In summer, it was strawberries, raspberries etc. Included was a recipe card with easy instructions for ideas on what to do with the stuff in the bag. I thought it was great and used to help him pack the bags. Fun times :D But..not enough business sooo..yeah. Its closing down.