Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Goth and Rock girls - Do you only go for Goth and Rock guys?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    Is there a direct correlation between rock music and gothic clothes or something? I listen to all sorts of rock and still wear the clothes I like. It's got nothing to do with music.

You're quite normal. :thumb:

There need not be any correlation between the music and clothes you personally wear - but many people do choose to wear an outward manifestation of the genre of the music they listen to :-

Goths - Bauhaus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Southern Death Cult, 45 Grave, The Damned, And Also The Trees, The Virgin Prunes, Joy Division, The Cure, The Cramps and Christian Death, The Sisters of Mercy, The Mission UK, Sex Gang Children, Xmal Deutschland, Rudimentary Peni, The Dead Can Dance, Fields of the Nephilim etc ...

Emo - AFI, Alexisonfire, A Static Lullaby, Brand New, Coheed and Cambria, Fall Out Boy, Finch, From Autumn To Ashes, From First To Last, Funeral for a Friend, Hawthorne Heights, Matchbook Romance, My Chemical Romance, Silverstein, Something Corporate, The Starting Line, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, and Thrice, etc ...

Most of us listen to all sorts of music but fashion-wise, we remain unaffected. :)
    Spliffie wrote:
    No they don't - the world views of gothdom stretch from nihilism to piety. You're talking bullshit.

I beg your pardon! You're the Chav?

I'm aware of that. I was never restricting my view to just the Goth movement or one subset.

Go give your bling a clean! ;)
    Teagan wrote:
    I beg your pardon! You're the Chav?

I'm aware of that. I was never restricting my view to just the Goth movement or one subset.

Go give your bling a clean! ;)

You said there is a "philosophy" behind goth fashion. What philosophy is that exactly?
    I put 'philosophy' into inverted commas because it was a generic term for their personal argument in seeking their own truth and knowledge of reality - but I will give it a shot. The goth subculture is heavily inspired by romanticism and neoromanticism and its fascination with the importance of the individual defining themselves through experiencing or expressing extreme emotions. They are often allured to the dark, mysterious, and/or morbid imagery and moods. Actually defining an ideology of the gothic subculture is difficult for several reasons in that there is an overwhelming importance of mood for those involved, balanced with the other central element that is a conscious sense of camp theatricality or dramaticism. Unlike the hippy or punk movement, there are not really any political messages or calls for social activism predominant within the subculture, except for individualism, tolerance for (sexual) diversity, a stong emphasis on creativity, a dislike of social conservatism and a strong tendency towards cynicism (but obviously, not all these ideas are common to all goths).
    Teagan wrote:
    I put 'philosophy' into inverted commas because it was a generic term for their personal argument in seeking their own truth and knowledge of reality - but I will give it a shot.

How does dressing in black and looking like a fanny involve seeking truth or knowledge of reality? Most goths are too stupid to know truth if it jumped up and delivered a spearhand to the larynx.

As for the cut & paste job, it's dealing with the origins of the subculture. 20 years ago it'd be accurate, nowadays it's redundant. Social conservatism, Christianity, a total lack of individuality and close-mindedness characterise great swathes of modern goths.

At least chavs don't bother with false pretences.
    Spliffie wrote:
    How does dressing in black and looking like a fanny involve seeking truth or knowledge of reality? Most goths are too stupid to know truth if it jumped up and delivered a spearhand to the larynx.

As for the cut & paste job, it's dealing with the origins of the subculture. 20 years ago it'd be accurate, nowadays it's redundant. Social conservatism, Christianity, a total lack of individuality and close-mindedness characterise great swathes of modern goths.

:cool:
    Spliffie wrote:

Chavs? No false pretences?
    Sports gear when the only sport they do is run from the police.
    Bling - when they most they can afford is a £9.99 gold-plated necklace from the stall on the high street.
    Mannerisms and speech of a New York Black man.
    Get real, there is nothing honest about their pretences!!!

I have no idea why you are so fixated on the goths as such 'cos I certainly am not one ... but it does seem you are, indeed, a Chav.

Why don't YOU just be honest and admit that this is hurting you because you ARE one? :yeees:

Anyway, post is dead as far as you and I are concerned. Flame away as much as you want ... :thumb:
    Teagan wrote:
    Bling - when they most they can afford is a £9.99 gold-plated necklace from the stall on the high street.

I have no idea why you are so fixated on the goths as such 'cos I certainly am not one ... but it does seem you are, indeed, a Chav.

Why don't YOU just be honest and admit that this is hurting you because you ARE one? :yeees:

Anyway, post is dead as far as you and I are concerned. Flame away as much as you want ... :thumb:

I've never worn bling, speak nothing like a "New York black man" ( :confused: ) and don't wear sports gear. Sorry to disappoint.

Good luck with un-twisting your knickers, 'cos it looks like you've got them in quite a tangle.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Teagan wrote:

You're view of what constitutes a 'chav' only goes to highlight your snobbery and I find it sad that you think that you think you can judge people simply on the way they dress, where they live, they're class etc.

You may consider turlough and myslef Chavs if you ever met us, but up until now I expect you didn't have much of a clue. This place prooves that sterotypes like that are absolute bullshit. We have 'goths', 'chavs', etc... people that wouldn't otherwise give each other the time of day if they met on the street - here chatting away and getting on like a house on fire. Simply because we only see each others thoughts - no clothes, no money, no distinguishing social marks.

Carry on if you wish, but automatically dismissing people on the basis of a sterotype is a pretty sad thing to do.
    Weekender Offender 
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Spliffie wrote:

:D

Nice Spliffie.
    uhh just to add my 2 pence worth..

I saw a few interviews with Marylin Manson and he was saying if he didn't have the goth/rock/shock look, he never would have got laid or with any girl ever as no1 was interested in him as himself, only when he is the goth guy.

so I guess maybe age isn't exclusive to it.

I saw a few interviews with Marylin Manson and he was saying if he didn't have the goth/rock/shock look, he never would have got laid or with any girl ever as no1 was interested in him as himself, only when he is the goth guy.

That Marylin Manson freaks me out big time.... he looks like a right monged out nutter!

Personally i dont get why people would wanna dress up like goths, its completely bizzare to me but what ever floats your boat i guess :confused:

Bragging purposes of doing the elusive marilyn manson (or money) probably had nothing to do with it then
    That Marylin Manson freaks me out big time.... he looks like a right monged out nutter!

Whatever you think of his music, he has had spectacularly gorgeous girlfriends, so maybe there is something in his "look".

I do suspect that's all a lot more to do with the fact that he's a famous musician...and his wedge. :chin:

Actual Goths aren't "dressing up as goths", that's the difference between them and the new spate of wannabes/sheep.
    briggi wrote:
    Whatever you think of his music, he has had spectacularly gorgeous girlfriends, so maybe there is something in his "look".

I do suspect that's all a lot more to do with the fact that he's a famous musician...and his wedge. :chin:

Actual Goths aren't "dressing up as goths", that's the difference between them and the new spate of wannabes/sheep.

To be honest i am not clued up on it at all, isnt dressing up like that apart of the whole goth image?? i mean from an outside view goths are associated with rock music, you dont hear many goths going to the opera and they would look pretty out of place i might say! lol

I dont know why i got into this as i dont really care! goths i have come across are weird not to say all goths are weird and i hate rock music anyhoo!

Shall i say goths anymore!! :D
    Spliffie wrote:

Well they do, just as much, but hey ho.

All teenagers are pretentious fools who dress like nobs. It's part of being 15.

It doesn't matter if you're a pretentious fool by twatting the woman prosecuting you for TWOCing your dad's car for a pissed-up joyride, or if you're a pretentious fool for wearing black in the height of summer and whining about how nobody understands you.

Marilyn Manson gets the birds because he is very charming indeed- oh, and because he's minted and famous.
    Skive wrote:
    You're view of what constitutes a 'chav' only goes to highlight your snobbery and I find it sad that you think that you think you can judge people simply on the way they dress, where they live, they're class etc.

You may consider turlough and myslef Chavs if you ever met us, but up until now I expect you didn't have much of a clue. This place prooves that sterotypes like that are absolute bullshit. We have 'goths', 'chavs', etc... people that wouldn't otherwise give each other the time of day if they met on the street - here chatting away and getting on like a house on fire. Simply because we only see each others thoughts - no clothes, no money, no distinguishing social marks.

Carry on if you wish, but automatically dismissing people on the basis of a sterotype is a pretty sad thing to do.

Um .. are you getting mixed up between a Chav and, say, working class? I am working class and so have no beans with that ...

What is it about you then that make you think you are a Chav? Maybe you are mislabelling yourself? :confused:
    Kermit wrote:
    Well they do, just as much, but hey ho.

All teenagers are pretentious fools who dress like nobs. It's part of being 15.

It doesn't matter if you're a pretentious fool by twatting the woman prosecuting you for TWOCing your dad's car for a pissed-up joyride, or if you're a pretentious fool for wearing black in the height of summer and whining about how nobody understands you.

Marilyn Manson gets the birds because he is very charming indeed- oh, and because he's minted and famous.

How is slapping a woman about pretentious? :confused:
    i mean from an outside view goths are associated with rock music, you dont hear many goths going to the opera and they would look pretty out of place i might say! lol
    On the contrary, I know a lot of older 'goths' who are into Opera. Have you heard of Nightwish? They play Operatic Metal and are very popular with the alternative scene.

Ilora x
    On the contrary, I know a lot of older 'goths' who are into Opera. Have you heard of Nightwish? They play Operatic Metal and are very popular with the alternative scene.

Ilora x

Well i'll be damned! he he you learn something new everyday!!

Operatic Metal? i am not even sure what that would sound like! very loud i would expect! :crazyeyes
    There's a clip of what they sound like here: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=66810905

Definitely an aquired taste! (I love them lol)

Ilora x
    They've split haven't they? Since kicking out Tarja?

You might not assosiate goths/punks/rockers etc.. whatever label with Opera but it was a sucess at Glasto a couple of years back wasn't it.. Glasto is actually a pretty good example of how diverse people can be.. the goths/punks/rockers you see at the main stage on a friday watching The White Stripes could be the same people at the Jazz world stage on a sunday..

Just because a person's dress fits one paticular stereotype if doesn't mean they only like music/things assosiated with that sterotype.. doesn't mean they like anything to do with that sterotype at all apart from the dress sense.. people who dress like 'emos' can be completely into techno or whatever else..
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Teagan wrote:
    Um .. are you getting mixed up between a Chav and, say, working class? I am working class and so have no beans with that ...
    Teagan wrote:
    lives on housing estates and other low-income neighbourhoods, often supported by the "dole".

Teagan wrote:
    What is it about you then that make you think you are a Chav? Maybe you are mislabelling yourself? :confused:

Do you think you could point out a 'chav' simply from the way they look? That Chavscum website you link to thinks you can.
    Weekender Offender 
    "lives on housing estates and other low-income neighbourhoods, often supported by the "dole" ... "

But that did not imply ALL people who live on council estates etc are Chavs .. anyway, dude, I said after that post that I was being tongue-in-cheek - just chill!!!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Everyone take a puff off the J and chill.

A "chav" is not a style of person who dresses and listens to certain music. My best mate, if that were true, would probably be a "chav". Which he is not. Otherwise he would not be my freind.

Ffs, if that website is true, some of the folk I hang about with are Chavs.

Chavs are not always "poor". They are just a waste of space, rich or poor. Thats what defines them, useless scum who make a pain and an arse of themselves all the time.
    Why did Walkindude get bannned?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    1983 wrote:
    They won't tell us ;(
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    1983 wrote:
    Cause he was a cunt :D
    I think there was more to it than that..

Anyway, though he won't read it, i think the whole Rock scene in leeds is VERY VERY pretentious, just look around the train station / corn exchange at weekends; or infact the cockpit.
    However, the genuine rock (music not fashion) scene is nothing of the sort. I know quite a few people in bands in Leeds, and you wouldn't even imagine that they were in a rock band to look at them. ( clicky to listen to some )
    I guess the only moral of this is not to judge a book by its cover.
    Referring to the original question, i'm generally not bothered, but when i go to clubs like gatecrasher, i tend to think i'm not going to meet anyone i have much in common with.