Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Goth and Rock girls - Do you only go for Goth and Rock guys?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah, its quite amazing really.

I still don't see a mixing of the groups much and I hope that more people have the latter of Iloras view. That would truely be hope for people.
  • Options
    In a way though, don't you assume that someone who dresses in a similar way to you will have similar tastes to you to an extent? To me that makes them more attractive - you know at least some of what they're on about, and you have some things in common.

I'm not advocating matching outfits for couples or anything though. Those are just strange, and boring :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Of course, people who dress similarly (band tees, baggy jeans black hair etc) are to an extent all going to like the same sorts of things. But, to outrightly shrug off a person who isn't wearing those clothes like some sort of banner, is silly.
    Just because they're not wearing their tastes on the front of a t-shirt doesn't mean they're not into similar things as yourself.

For example, if a guy like Walkindude said in the beginning, he's in a rock/goth club but wearing jeans at a t-shirt.. would you not even give him a chance purely because he doesn't look like the rest of the club? He's in the venue because he enjoys the music, so therefore would you write him off as soon as you saw him?

Ilora x
  • Options
    In a way though, don't you assume that someone who dresses in a similar way to you will have similar tastes to you to an extent? To me that makes them more attractive - you know at least some of what they're on about, and you have some things in common.

I'm not advocating matching outfits for couples or anything though. Those are just strange, and boring :crazyeyes
    Well yeah, but I think that the question is more would you dismiss someone that wasn't dressed in a rock/goth style? Does that mean that you would assume that someone who wasn't dressed the same as you wouldn't have anything in common? I guess a band t-shirt can be a decent ice-breaker, if you're into the same band though.
  • Options
    Of course i'd give the bloke a chance aslong as we got on well and i was attracted to him. So what if he doesn't conform to some sterotype...

Although. If he was dressed like a 'chav' i would probably be less likely to be attracted to him.
  • Options
    I don't dismiss them, I tend to look at facial features anyway to get a hint of personality, but I seem to be drawn more to gothy looking guys to begin with.

Saying that, I don't particularly like going out to clubs anyway, so I'm probably thinking more of seeing various guys in daylight.
  • Options
    I don't mind what a guy looks like whether goth, rocker or emo - but I draw the line at Chavs.

The Chav look has ZERO fashion or cultural statement ... I mean, fake labels and false gold bling? What's stylish/cultural about that? That's called BAD TASTE!

Anyhow, I guess the only time I might feel somewhat uncomfortable with one of the above (excl Chavs, of course) is if they were, like, soooo way out that it made me look kinda 'wrong' to be standing next to them ...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    I don't mind what a guy looks like whether goth, rocker or emo - but I draw the line at Chavs.

The Chav look has ZERO fashion or cultural statement ... I mean, fake labels and false gold bling? What's stylish/cultural about that? That's called BAD TASTE!

Aye, but with your "chav" I think you have to look beyond the clothes, since a lot of them (male, at least) don't give two figs about fashion and trends. Sure, some of 'em are downright scary... but a lot of them are great craic if you give them half a chance and/or a bit sexy in that rough diamond kinda way. Obviously I don't mean the type that beats up old ladies down back alleys for nudge money. :p

As with all "types" of people, it depends on the individual.

Kate_342436 - do you think you can get an idea of personality from facial features? (That's a genuine question, I do wonder that myself).
  • Options
    im not a rocker or a goth although i did used to be a goth/punk when i was younger and tbh, wouldnt have been interested in anyone who wasnt at least a bit alternative looking.

Ive never been attracted to the chav look.
  • Options
    I've been out with them all..at the end of the day, it's up to you to get them...most goths and rock girls only go out with goth and rock guys cos they relate to them, same with chavs. If you can hold a decent covo with either then you're in.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:

What a stupid comment. I could easily turn around and say

The goth look has ZERO fashion or cultural statement...I mean, all black clothes, white faces and weird pagan necklaces and braclets? What's stylish/cultural about that? That's called BAD TASTE!

Get my drift?
  • Options
    Goths are the new chavs...and emos are the new goths.
  • Options
    I think age also plays a huge part in who you're attracted to. Most people who are 'goths' are in their teenage years, and haven't found their true identity yet. So it makes sense to only go out with people who have the same identity' or lack of, as yourself. I suppose going out with someone equally as 'goth' as yourself is a sort of security blanket and you can be 'goths' together. Whereas when you get older, stereotypes and the lines between them seem to fade - or at least they do with me. When you get older, social circles change, and you move away from being in 'clusters' of the same types of people.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I think age also plays a huge part in who you're attracted to. Most people who are 'goths' are in their teenage years, and haven't found their true identity yet. So it makes sense to only go out with people who have the same identity' or lack of, as yourself. I suppose going out with someone equally as 'goth' as yourself is a sort of security blanket and you can be 'goths' together. Whereas when you get older, stereotypes and the lines between them seem to fade - or at least they do with me. When you get older, social circles change, and you move away from being in 'clusters' of the same types of people.

Ilora x
    thats more or less what i said :p
  • Options
    maybe walkindude has found a love interest who is a goth/rock girl
  • Options
  • Options
    Some of the nicest guys I know could be called chavs. Nice to me anyway, I know they used to go around beating people up at school. :rolleyes:
    briggi wrote:
    Kate_342436 - do you think you can get an idea of personality from facial features? (That's a genuine question, I do wonder that myself).

I reckon you can tell a bit, although if someone has had a shit day or a really good day (or is pissed or high), they might be in a different mood to what they would be on say a Tuesday morning. First impressions are usually enough for me to know whether I want to get to know someone or not, and I tend to look for smiley eyes and a smiley mouth, not someone with a creased forehead/frowny mouth. It's what they're doing as well, but I think I'm well off topic as it is. ;)
  • Options
    well I thought I might be off out to a rock/goth club this week but I am not now.

Thing is, I do love the goth/rock look in a girl. Now I wouldn't go out with a girl just coiz she is a goth or whatever, she has to have personality to and I have to click with her.

But the last time or so I was in the rock/gtoh clubs. I was loked down on coz I wasn't goth enough. The girls were looking for an dgot off with guys coz they looked goth (they told me this) and I was told I looked boring by the guys and just didn't get a chance really.

so just wondered if it was possible to be with a rock/goth without being one, or at leats looking like one.
  • Options
    course it is. if its the right person then theyll like you for you, but tbh, if you dont look like their idea of attractive, then you might not get the chance to see if youre the right person.
    If you like the look, why not try it a bit more for yourself? if it was just someone into rock and goth music you were after, then youd probably easily find someone whos into the music but not into the dressing up part, whereas if theyre into dressing up properly gothy, they probably find that style attractive on men too. if you loved the chav look on girls, you probably wouldnt have much luck if you dressed as a goth and vice versa. Its only a way of dressing and theres no harm with experimenting yourself.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    well I thought I might be off out to a rock/goth club this week but I am not now.

Thing is, I do love the goth/rock look in a girl. Now I wouldn't go out with a girl just coiz she is a goth or whatever, she has to have personality to and I have to click with her.

But the last time or so I was in the rock/gtoh clubs. I was loked down on coz I wasn't goth enough. The girls were looking for an dgot off with guys coz they looked goth (they told me this) and I was told I looked boring by the guys and just didn't get a chance really.

so just wondered if it was possible to be with a rock/goth without being one, or at leats looking like one.

drink often negates prior thoughts and/or consistency in choosing partners
  • Options
    aye.

I just know me. I aint gona wear my leather in the days as its too hot, and too good a coat to be put throiugh wear and tear of day to day life. I wear it on nights out and interviews and such.

wearing make up isn't me either.
  • Options
    I cant help but feel that anyone over the age of 18 finds this a pretty ridiculous thread.
    If you are so bothered that all the "alternative" girls want a guy with more make up than you, then theres more issues than just your clothes.
    And anyone who will reject you on the basis that your wallet chain isnt as long as theirs or the band t-shirt your wearing is as underground as their own then they aint worth it either.

You will find that as you get older, people grow out of these "trend" mindsets. Ive been part of the "alternative" scene since i was a wee teenager and yeah i dressed like a dick for most of it...the weirder you were the better, duh.....but you grow out of it...
  • Options
    Can someone explain to me what a Chav is? I've seen it mentioned about people on this site a lot but I'm from the other side of the world and haven't come across it before.

To go with the thread...I work in the music industry...the rock scene and I love guys in rock bands...there's just something about them, and they all seem to be crazy people. I love that in a guy, someone who's just out for fun and doesn't care what other people think about them...but then again our rock boys may differ to your rock boys.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What a stupid comment. I could easily turn around and say

The goth look has ZERO fashion or cultural statement...I mean, all black clothes, white faces and weird pagan necklaces and braclets? What's stylish/cultural about that? That's called BAD TASTE!

Get my drift?

I think we have found a real live Chav on this site ... ;)

Goths, rockers, emos etc have a 'philosophy' around them (largely based on the type of music they listen to) ... Chavs have none. Get my drift?
  • Options
    Can someone explain to me what a Chav is? I've seen it mentioned about people on this site a lot but I'm from the other side of the world and haven't come across it before.

Chav is a derogatory slang term in popular usage throughout the UK. It refers to a subculture stereotype of a person who is uneducated, uncultured and prone to antisocial or immoral behaviour. Chav is used for both sexes, where a male chav is sometimes referred to as a chavster and a female as a chavette. ...

The stereotypical chav is someone who wears particular clothing, such as:

Brand name athletic clothing and shoes. Stereotypically, this might include white trainers and tracksuits.

Fake designer clothing and accessories, in particular the distinctive tartan of Burberry, similar to (and perhaps derived from) the casuals of football supporters.

"Bling": that is, gaudy gold or platinum jewellery — in particular conspicuous earrings and trinkets on chains for women, and gold sovereign rings for men.

Sports caps and hoodies. Often both are worn, the hood pulled up over the baseball cap, thus obscuring the wearer's face.

Sports or jogging trousers, often tucked into white sports socks. These are also referred to as "tracky Bs", "trackies" or "tracky bottoms".

if female, wears thickly applied make-up, makes heavy use of fake tan, and has a hairstyle in which the hair is pulled back into a tight bun or ponytail (called a "Croydon facelift" or "council-house facelift"), and stilettos.

is associated with crass, drunken behaviour and minor criminal activities. This includes unprovoked attacks on members of the public (see happy slapping), vandalism, verbal abuse, and drug abuse. This delinquency may be carried out under the influence of cheap alcohol, often after the pubs have closed.

lives on housing estates and other low-income neighbourhoods, often supported by the "dole".

owns a tastelessly modified car, usually with a basic original specification, but decorated in a gaudy style. The Vauxhall Nova is one of the many small hatchbacks associated with this stereotype.

takes part in under-aged drinking and sex (and, consequently, is associated with teen pregnancy).

congregates and loiters in areas such as shopping centres and fast food restaurants.

pronounces English in a style that is seen to be unsophisticated and characterised by slack diction — for example, the pronunciation of "thing" as "fing".

Some examples are here :-

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/4images/details.php?image_id=2690

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/4images/details.php?image_id=925

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/4images/details.php?image_id=3676

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/4images/details.php?image_id=3252

;) ...
  • Options
    Some of the nicest guys I know could be called chavs. Nice to me anyway, I know they used to go around beating people up at school.

And you started so well!!! :p

By the way guys, before everyone starts taking life too seriously, my joshing is just tongue-in-cheek ok? ;)
  • Options
    well I did encounter this kind of behaviour in my late teens but also in twenties aswell so hard to know when the cut off point is I guess.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Goths, rockers, emos etc have a 'philosophy' around them (largely based on the type of music they listen to) ... Chavs have none. Get my drift?

Is there a direct correlation between rock music and gothic clothes or something? I listen to all sorts of rock and still wear the clothes I like. It's got nothing to do with music.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    I think we have found a real live Chav on this site ... ;)

No they don't - the world views of gothdom stretch from nihilism to piety. You're talking bullshit.
  • Options
    I recently got with a girl thats well into her rock music.

I myself am a trendy arse dance music lover.

Somehow we clicked but I guess having knowledge in rock music has helped me somewhat.

All gravy :D