Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Biggest Strike Since 1926?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my schools being closed tomorrow because of it. Politics and stuff confuses me most of the time but i was told that it basically means they have to work an extra 5 years and get no extra pension for it?
    I think everyone should retire at 60. I dont see why men should have to work till 65 especially since they die younger. If men are still going to have to work till 65 then its right that women should, although im not surprised theres a fair few people pissed off at it.
    Rightly, most definitely.

Glad I'm not at home though, no Metro = likely chaos.
    Rightly, but sadly it won't work.

The government has already spent it.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    Rightly, but sadly it won't work.

The government has already spent it.

Aye... and they don't care either, they know they have the power to get away with it.
    The only pragmatic option is raising the retirement age for all local government workers to 65. Not nice but there isn't a sustainable alternative.
    when i was a kid we were told that technology would mean ...less work ...earlier retirememnet.
    we have the opposite.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    when i was a kid we were told that technology would mean ...less work ...earlier retirememnet.
    we have the opposite.

Someone has got to keep the technology working.
    And you got later retirement, because technology makes worse easier... so you can do it longer!
    I think everyone should retire at 60. I dont see why men should have to work till 65 especially since they die younger. If men are still going to have to work till 65 then its right that women should, although im not surprised theres a fair few people pissed off at it.

How does that help the pension situation though? That would make it far worse.

With advances in medicine and the general trend towards higher age rates, then I don't see any problem with the Government rising the age to 67, maybe even 70. Though there should be a limit on manual labour.
    we have the opposite.

Welcome to capitalism.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Welcome to capitalism.
    :chin:
    :chin:

Working harder and longer is how it works. The rate of profit tends to fall over time, so we are made to work harder and longer. Basic Marx.
    Except it's got fuck all to do with capitalism and everything to do with the state.

Capitalism is why there are the technoligical advances. The state is why they wind up in relatively few hands.

Oh and don't forget that there are tens of millions of people sat round doing fuck all but accepting stolen money from the government.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Working harder and longer is how it works. The rate of profit tends to fall over time, so we are made to work harder and longer. Basic Marx.
    not hte capitalists are to blame for everything shite again blag!

i
    They have my support.
    They are completely right.

It isn't that they have to work longer as such- it's that they were promised one thing, signed up to it, paid their money in, only for it to be snatched out of their hands when they come to claim it.

They have my full support, even though it is going to grind Tyne and Wear to a halt tomorrow. We still have an underground system owned and operated by local government for the benefit of all, so we have no Metro tomorrow.

It is everything to do with capitalism, really. Simplistic but accurate.
    yeah fair play to them.....lol i got a letter from the college through the post the other day warning me i wouldn't get paid if i participated in the strike action or refused to cross the picket line, despite the fact i never signed up for a pension with them, oh and i stopped working there over a month ago :chin: ......lamers.....i saw this study recently that showed on average the younger you retire the older you live, makes perfect sense really, the figures were something like retire at 55 live til 81, retire at 65 live til 71, etc etc......at that rate once they push retirement age up to 70 we'll all be copping it before we see a penny of our pension, that's the government's brilliant solution to the pension crisis........personally i'm not that worried because a) i don't plan to have a 9-5 life, and b) if the world's still turning round when i'm 70 i'll be amazed......

i

You're the one complaining "when i was a kid we were told that technology would mean ...less work ...earlier retirememnet.
    we have the opposite."

What else is to blame? The Moomins?

i

Yes its all capitalism's fault :crying:

Or perhaps it is the declining birthrate :chin:

Average hours worked have infact decreased over time.

06%20Sustaining%20Growth%20in%20Aust%20Living%20Standards-7.gif
    And profits as a share of GNP are mostly constant but I can't be arsed to find data at the moment.
    if that graph is actually true then wages must have declined drastically in real terms because these days you need two people's incomes to bring up a family, in the olden days it was just the man bringing home the bacon.....
    They have declined slightly, but not drastically. This decline is due to increased work benefits however and the labour share of GNP has pretty much been constant over the last 50 years.
    See

laborshare.gif
    i'll have to take your word on that one you may well be right.......the declining birth rate is definitely a factor, which interestingly is in part due to the fact that women are more career-minded and less family-minded these days, and before anyone starts no i'm not trying to blame women in the workplace for rising retirement age lol.......

ETA: ah another pretty graph :p mind posting a few links?
    a company boss forty years ago ...recieved ten times the dosh his workers did ...now he recieves fifty five times as much.
    minimi38 wrote:
    Yes its all capitalism's fault :crying:

Or perhaps it is the declining birthrate :chin:

Average hours worked have infact decreased over time.

06%20Sustaining%20Growth%20in%20Aust%20Living%20Standards-7.gif

That's from an Australian site
    UK workers work an average 43.6 hours

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1799518.stm
    minimi38 wrote:
    See

laborshare.gif

Source?
    UK workers have the shortest holidays and the longest working hours in Europe, according to an analysis by recruitment company Manpower.

http://www.management-issues.com/display_page.asp?section=research&id=421
    so looks like we're just inefficient in comparison to our european neighbours.......