Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Shot for cowardice". Should we pardon executed WWI soldiers?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    I still can't blame them for flipping one day and refusing to fight again.

No doubt war was romantisised at the time and there was much talk of 'honour', 'pride' in fighting.

They shouldn't have expected a holiday of course, but World War I saw what was arguably the most appalling and intolerable conditions- specially the the habit of senselessly sending tens of thousands of people to storm a heavily fortified machine gun line on the principle that if you send ten thousand men through the enemy might run out of bullets or that the ones at the very back might reach the position thanks to the bodies of the other 9,900 soldiers in front acting as human shields.

No one could have expected such vile and despicable orders. No one should have been expected to obey them. It's too bad foot soldiers of both sides didn't shoot their offices on the spot or tell them to fight it themselves.

Agreed 100%.

In answer to the original question, yes "we" should.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yep, I was born only being aware of what I could sense, same as yourself, with none of the fictional ideas of country and nation and church etc. I learned them, just like you did.

If you'd have come out with some long-winded stuff about how countries don't really exist in front of the authorities in WW1-era Britain you'd have found yourself on latrine duty in the frontline for four years.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Yeah, but his daughter is still alive and it clearly means a lot to her - what's the harm in the government making this little gesture for her?

It opens the floodgates to all sort of shit? Besides, it wasn't this government that did it!

Should we make all Germans apologise each year for starting two world wars? The people it actualyl concerned are dead. Should we make todays Americans give back all the land they did not legally buy from the native Americans but stole through genocide?

Same principle.
  • Options
    If you'd have come out with some long-winded stuff about how countries don't really exist in front of the authorities in WW1-era Britain you'd have found yourself on latrine duty in the frontline for four years.

Yeah, and those are exactly the sort of people you want to be mindlessly obeying, aren't they?

It's not something i would do in any event. You don't tell Islamic fundamentalists that theres no Allah and the koran is utter cock either.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Errrm, none of those things exist, so if they had all dropped their guns and decided to be logical how would any of that happened?

No, they all do exist, everyone on the face of the planet knows it. Things exist, and only you live in this fictional universe where nothing exists at all except ideas. That is why you are always wrong and everyone else is usually right.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Nope.

What the fuck man? How about we go say sorry to the Dodo for making it extinct? Apologise for invading France countless times? How about we get the Vikings to apologise for rape and pillage?

I think you miss the point.

Because these men were shot for cowardice, they cannot be listed on a war memorial. they cannot have a war grave. They are ignored, these deaths are not commemorated on Armistice day.

This should be rectified, and for this very reason the men should be pardoned.

It's not a case of offering a pathetic apology, it is about giving dead men the recognition that they deserve. It doesn't cost much, but it means a lot to the families of the men concerned that a stain on their family be removed.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    If they had all dropped their guns and used logic as you say and not action, then the German Empire would have taken all of continental Europe and the Austro-Hungarian Empire would have endured and taken over the ottoman controlled regions and they would still be the world rulers with monarchs today. along with the Empire of Japan.

I suggest you go away and read about what caused World War One.

The Germans were not the baddies. All countries involved played an equal part in creating what was a destructive, bloody and utterly pointless war.
  • Options
    they should be pardoned... officers those days (and probably still now) were in the positions because of background, not tactical knowledge... getting shot for being a 'coward' (having common sense) seems pretty unfair to me.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:

Because these men were shot for cowardice, they cannot be listed on a war memorial. they cannot have a war grave. They are ignored, these deaths are not commemorated on Armistice day.

This should be rectified, and for this very reason the men should be pardoned.

It's not a case of offering a pathetic apology, it is about giving dead men the recognition that they deserve. It doesn't cost much, but it means a lot to the families of the men concerned that a stain on their family be removed.

Ok, I'll agree now. I didn't actually know they were not listed on war memorials - as such, I think it is wrong. I thought they were just saying sorry in he same way as other deaths, and as it was not caused by them, etc.

But no, if it gets them listed on memorials - I think a pardon should be offered.
  • Options
    No, they all do exist, everyone on the face of the planet knows it.

Really?
    Things exist, and only you live in this fictional universe where nothing exists at all except ideas. That is why you are always wrong and everyone else is usually right.

You have it completely and utterly the wrong way round. I live in the real world, the one you can touch and smell and so on, you live in the world of ideas and non sensory gibberish.

Regardless of how many people hold alternative views, the facts remain exactly the same. The Earth has always orbited the sun, even when the opposite was thought to be true.
  • Options
    To be honest they were tried and convicted under the law as it stood at the time. And whilst people talk about Farr (who may have a case) when they talk about blanket pardons they normally are talking about every single solider who was shot in WW1 (as an aside only eighteen men were shot for cowardice - most people get it and desertion muddled up).

If you're talking about a blanket pardon it would include 2nd Lt John pearson who shot dead an RMP officer trying to arrest him, Pte Anderson who deserted from France and was arrested in Barking, Pte Ernest Lawrence, who deserted the infanty three times before fooling the RFC into thinking he'd been transfered and the paper work was lost.

Come to that there is Sub-Lt Dyett who passed his injured colleagues and left them to rot, without going to get help. Several of the men died of their wounds and it was 36 hours before they were recovered. Dyett killed those injured men as much as any German shell.

Its probaby also worth putting this into some perspective. 5.25 million men served in the British army in WW1, with 551 court martials for cowardice and 7,731 for desertion. 3000 men were sentenced to death - after confirmations by those Generals who according to legend showed such a scant regard for death only 266 were executed - most of whom were repeat offenders (sometimes on their third attempt). 750,000 men were killed by the enemy.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I suggest you go away and read about what caused World War One.

The Germans were not the baddies. All countries involved played an equal part in creating what was a destructive, bloody and utterly pointless war.

I sugest for once in your life on this site you actually read a post and understand it instead of jumping in with both feet like an expert when you clearly do not understand the point been made!

I was saying had the British put down there guns the German Empire would have successfully taken control of all of continental Europe, which is a fact. The Austro-Hungarian Empire fighting for its survival as newer, stronger nations emerged with in its domain would have swept aside its enemies by having enough troops with its allies help to conquer the terrirtories. Russia, would have been invaded, the communists executed on mass by German troops, saving the Tsar regime from having to do so, but weakening the nation of Russia in general.

The fact that world war 1 was started as a result of expanding Empires, arms races to build the largest and most powerful war ships, tanks, land armies, etc and the economic inevitabilty if war occuring when large Empires and Powers exist in such close together regions are all mute points when the comment made was in reference to what would happen if one side put down its weapons and chose not to fight!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Not true I'm afraid. Harry Farr is commerated on the Thiepval memorial http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=751229

Pte Hector Dalande (Desertion) is buried in St Nicolas Cemetry
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=50898

Pte Frederick Stead is buried in Suzanne Military Cemetry
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=310430

You may be getting muddled up with village memorials - where in some cases those who were shot are not included. However a pardon wouldn't neccessarily make that much difference to them, as they're not funded by the taxpayer and whp goes on their is a matter for who is in charge of it (typically a Parish or local authority). In some cases they have included deserters on, either because they did not know they were a deserter* or knew and didn't care. whilst some might be willing to do so, I suspect given the financial pressures most are under that they wouldn't want the bother of adding the extra expense unless there was pressure from relatives and friends to do so (unlikely in most cases).

On Armistice day we commemerate all the dead of World War One - the British Army's view at the time (and since) has been that includes those who were executed - as they too paid the ultimate price in service of their country

* not that uncommon as it became British practice just to inform family that the deserter had died on active service - though it was of course advertised to units in the British Army as a detterent and in county regiments rumours might reach home, and of course the accused may have written home with letters (though many did not either)
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Not true I'm afraid. Harry Farr is commerated on the Thiepval memorial
    Pte Hector Dalande (Desertion) is buried in St Nicolas Cemetry
    Pte Frederick Stead is buried in Suzanne Military Cemetry

You may be getting muddled up with village memorials - where in some cases those who were shot are not included.

If things have changed then I retract that.

AFAIK the names certainly aren't on any cenotaph, certainly not the national one. I remember a big thing about it about five years ago. If things have changed then, yeah.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    AFAIK the names certainly aren't on any cenotaph, certainly not the national one.

Are any names on the cenotaph? It's no like the wall in DC...

As for the pardon, if there is a case then it should be looked at. If not then the verdict should stand, we really should not apply today's culture to yesterday's criminal justice system - otherwise we have many death penalties to apologise for and a few deportations too. Having sais that, perhaps the UK should apologise to the world for Australia ;)