Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Chemical Trends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, let's talk drugs. Chemically. Sort of.
Let's start with three -
Methamphetamine, Dextroamphetamine, and Levoamphetamine.
Let's take a closer look, Shall we?

We find that Dextroampetamine and Levoamphetamine have the same chemical formula, but are differently arranged.
Dextroamphetamine being the D- isomer, and Levoamphetamine being the L- isomer. So now we see that the D-amphetamine is more "potent" than the L-ampetamine.
Even Methamphetamine has D- or L- isomers (the D- being the abused kind, due to it's strength).
So does this mean Dextromethorphan (DXM) is a more potent isomer of Methorphan?

Does this D- Isomer always result in a more potent drug?

Now let's take a look at Meth(yl)amphetamine and amphetamine.
Methylamphetamine is amphetamine but with an added methyl group. This methyl group makes this certain drug more potent also. Now I realize that Methylamphetamine also can be D- or L- Isomers, also effecting the strength of the drug, but the added methyl group is the key.
So does this also hold true towards other drugs?
I've seen how Methcathinone is the more potent version of Cathinone.

So my question is: Do these trends hold true with other substances? And even further, is this how drugs are "invented"/discovered - by finding trends in chemical reactions and applying them to ther drugs?

I've been self-teaching myself all this stuff (with the help of the internet ((EROWID))), and this stuff blows my mind.
Edit: I just wanted to point out my amazing use of the double parenthesis.

Comments

• Options
    :shocking:

None of that makes any sense to me.
  • Options
    ....it's amazing what you can do by changeing the position of a chemical bond....
  • Options
    MDMA is I think the only drug of its group which is the wrong way round for the isomers, the one you would think would be more potent isnt.

For more information on this and other interesting stuff read PIHKAL.
  • Options
    yeah, I've read PIHKAL, it was just a while ago, and I've forgotten much of what I read as I didn't comprehend any of it. Now that I'm more capable, I've lost it!
  • Options
    Ah kill my friend,...I look forward to the day I can have an intelligent conversation with you regarding this subject. Chemical genetics of pills seems to me the most technical side of drugs, so I've yet to start my research on such subjects, as at the moment I'm reading up on opium history, science, and cultivation as well as cannabis cross breeding. Needless to say,...that'll uh, take a while to tackle...

...but mark my words! By the time flying cars are zipping past your window, I'll be teleporting to your house to hand-deliver my latest research data... :D
  • Options
    In terms of chemistry there's a bit of info on wikipedia about optical isomerism (where a chiral compound has a D- and L- isomer which cannot be superimposed onto its mirror image).

In the case of drugs, one of the isomers is usually potent, while the other is less or non-potent. So a racemic mixture of D- and L- isomers in this case would be less powerful than a solution of pure D-isomer (or whichever was the active one). Often the isomer which is less or non-potent could even have negative side effects.

ETA: I'm not sure whether the D-isomer would always be more potent. I'd be interested to see some information on that though :yes:
  • Options
    ETA: I'm not sure whether the D-isomer would always be more potent. I'd be interested to see some information on that though :yes:

Its not, see my comment above regarding MDMA.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its not, see my comment above regarding MDMA.
    Oh yeah thanks for that :D
  • Options
    Ah kill my friend,...I look forward to the day I can have an intelligent conversation with you regarding this subject. Chemical genetics of pills seems to me the most technical side of drugs, so I've yet to start my research on such subjects, as at the moment I'm reading up on opium history, science, and cultivation as well as cannabis cross breeding. Needless to say,...that'll uh, take a while to tackle...

...but mark my words! By the time flying cars are zipping past your window, I'll be teleporting to your house to hand-deliver my latest research data... :D
    haha, unfortunatly, this is the only subject i really know.
    wooooooooah thanks for the link :thumb: