Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Pro ED websites and groups

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I came across a pro ED community on Xanga....i was so sickened. Its full of brainwashed girls bragging about being anorexic and 'thinspiration'. They brag about eating next to nothing and doing work outs. What the hell is with this? Have they got no sense at all? They all want to be skinny like models....what is the obession with being a bag of bones? Sorry, just needed a rant because i find it so frustrating that people do this to themselves and think it's clever.
«1

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are always going to be some people who suffer from eating disorders. It obviously helps some of them to get through it and stuff, talking with like-minded individuals. Personally, I think they are extremely dangerous and lots of them have been banned. But at the same time, if people really do want to not eat and waste away into nothingness then a lot of them will do it regardless of internet forums and stuff. But obviously they are still a contributing factor in some cases.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd report it, if you can.

    I remember seeing one of these sites (well, I hunted one down out of curiosity - with great difficulty - after reading a report about them in the paper) with all these tips for sating your appetite, poems about "ana" and "mia", and the "thinspiration" you're talking about. It's scary stuff, for sure.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree with you it is mad and sad. Also sometimes it can be a real problem that is not as easy to lose than what people think.

    An ED communit should more tend to help people with ED to get out of it and not help them or give them technics to even have a better ED than they have already.

    Unfortunatly you have some people that can not accept themselves for who they are and sometimes the tend to say it is clever just so they reassure themselves that what they are doing is normal.

    I think it is sad that just to lose weight some just put her head down the toilet. What about doing some exercise or eating less, at the end of the day by losing weight this way it might be harder, but you are more proud of yourself for it and show you that you are a stronger person than you thought you were.

    Also I think it is more a per case thing really, as people having ED can have it for morer reason that just the will to lose weight and and like all disorders sometimes the solution and the way out is more complex than it may seem.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I used to use one. On one hand i found it supportive and I needed it at the time because these people understood what i was thinking at a time when i wasnt ready to give up. Going to a recovery site when I didnt want to give it up would have been useless as id have been pretending.
    The site I used, while it was a pro-ed site, in a way it was more pro-choice about it. it gave support for those who were enjoying their ed, gave low cal recipes, ways to beat hunger, thinsperation etc, but any time that anyone wanted to recover, they were also really supportive too.
    It got closed down once which was a shame because i really dont like censorship - it was my choice to go there. It re-opened eventually though which i was pleased about because i didnt like some of the other sites as much. I eventually stopped going when i felt ready and because i realised that the site - whilst I found it helpful in some ways, it was also triggering me in others. I dont think they should be reported. I think there is a need for them.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a look on Xanga to see what it was like and i didnt find anything offensive/sickening. Was a lot of people needing somewhere to talk about it but there was no encouragement to be anorexic and i didnt see anybody sharing tips on how to lose weight etc etc.

    was i looking in the wrong place?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sikorah wrote:
    I had a look on Xanga to see what it was like and i didnt find anything offensive/sickening. Was a lot of people needing somewhere to talk about it but there was no encouragement to be anorexic and i didnt see anybody sharing tips on how to lose weight etc etc.

    was i looking in the wrong place?

    Yeah. The one I went to had Thinspirations (mostly Mary Kate from what I could make out) and Triggers, pictures of overly obese people.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i frequent a website similar to what rainbow brite said. its more about pro choice but is seen as por ana because it doesnt tell u to stop. i think its great.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i just don't see why they think they're better people if they starve themselves. its just silly.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    i just don't see why they think they're better people if they starve themselves. its just silly.

    Agreed. And surely the best of way of losing weight is to exercise or eat healthy, not just straving yourself to death?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote:
    Agreed. And surely the best of way of losing weight is to exercise or eat healthy, not just straving yourself to death?
    well if you're starving yourself, your body will slow down its metabolism so it can hang onto food for longer.....so as soon as you start to eat normally again, the weight shoots back up.
    It's sad that girls think if they're thin then they're 'strong' and will be more attractive. More than likely their periods will stop and once that happens their bones start to deteriorate...and can develop early osteporosis.....how nice. They have perfectly fine bodies then they go and do this to themselves :(
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm ashamed to admit that once, whilst having eating problems, used one of these websites. This website gave me alot of bad ideas and made my eating problem worse. On the one I went to, there was nothing about getting better, it was just "ooo, who can lose the most weight" and there was actually competitions on some forums. I didn't get involved in those though obviously. Looking back at it, all that website did was make me worse yet at the time I thought it was the best website on the net.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    i just don't see why they think they're better people if they starve themselves. its just silly.

    because they're mentally ill?

    there are hundreds of reasons why people do it, but i don't think any of them do it simply because they think being thin makes them better.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    because they're mentally ill?

    there are hundreds of reasons why people do it, but i don't think any of them do it simply because they think being thin makes them better.
    well a lot of them were idolising skinny celebs and models saying they wanted to be like them etc
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    well a lot of them were idolising skinny celebs and models saying they wanted to be like them etc

    Hmm, I'd say that's a lot to do with their perception of these people's lives as being glamorous, problem-free and perfect. It's not difficult to see why they'd deduce that thin=great life when these celebrities and models are lauded, rich and famous...and praised continually for how thin they are compared to mere mortals.

    Some, by no means all, people with disordered eating are led to it by the glorification of being thin, though...it can be about control, repressing the past, any number of things.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A lot of eating disorders are about control- the problem with "thinspiration" is not "ooh look at that skinny person", its that the angle is "look at that skinny person, shes got more control, shes better at being skinny than you".

    It's pointing out "success", to make you feel like a failure. That's the big problem with pro-ana and pro-ed websites.

    Just like pro-SH websites, they do have a certain comfort in them, but they are ultimately very damaging.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    well a lot of them were idolising skinny celebs and models saying they wanted to be like them etc

    i don't doubt that that is a contributing factor, but i don't think it's the reason.

    healthy people don't starve themselves half to death because they think it'd be a good look. there has to be something a bit wrong in the first place to kick the whole deal off.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    why does anyone think itd be good to shut the sites down though. Its not going to make the problem go away. People are ana and mia with or without those sites.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    why does anyone think itd be good to shut the sites down though. Its not going to make the problem go away. People are ana and mia with or without those sites.

    True. At the end it is aways censorship and no matter what the content of a website is it should stay online. After if people are stupid enough to be affected in a bad way by the content of a website, well it aint really the website fault.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if people are stupid enough to be affected in a bad way by the content of a website, well it aint really the website fault.

    Yes it fucking well is.

    These websites should be shut down. They actively encourage and promote this act, glamourise it and glorify it.

    I happen to think it does make a difference. They have no genuine support role, except to glorify the act and make the people feel its normal. It isn't norma behaviour.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes but if the people WANT to be affected then isnt that a free choice. As long as the people on there arent children and the websites stay unadvertised and dont discourage recovery then I think its fine.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes but if the people WANT to be affected then isnt that a free choice. As long as the people on there arent children and the websites stay unadvertised and dont discourage recovery then I think its fine.
    some of the websites don't encourage recovery though.....tbh i think they should be shut down, they're very triggering and don't do much to help. Recovery websites and such yes....but ones that just press the matter make things worse.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    I came across a pro ED community on Xanga....i was so sickened. Its full of brainwashed girls bragging about being anorexic and 'thinspiration'. They brag about eating next to nothing and doing work outs. What the hell is with this? Have they got no sense at all? They all want to be skinny like models....what is the obession with being a bag of bones? Sorry, just needed a rant because i find it so frustrating that people do this to themselves and think it's clever.

    It's a mental disorder. Just like self-harming and other things like that.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    some of the websites don't encourage recovery though.....tbh i think they should be shut down, they're very triggering and don't do much to help. Recovery websites and such yes....but ones that just press the matter make things worse.

    yeah but who the hell are you to tell me im not allowed to get together with likeminded people who actually WANT to do this? (not that I do anymore)

    people give up their EDs when theyre ready, and disbanding a community because you think what theyre doing is bad for them is just controlling.
    the ONLY person who can stop someones eating disorder is themselves and when someone is ready they will give up the ED and the web communitys themselves. The pro-ana sites do not give people anorexia.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah but who the hell are you to tell me im not allowed to get together with likeminded people who actually WANT to do this? (not that I do anymore)

    people give up their EDs when theyre ready, and disbanding a community because you think what theyre doing is bad for them is just controlling.
    the ONLY person who can stop someones eating disorder is themselves and when someone is ready they will give up the ED and the web communitys themselves. The pro-ana sites do not give people anorexia.
    i never said that, i just think its like encouraging smokers to smoke more, or overeaters to eat more....i can't see whats good about encouraging people to ruin their health. They need help, not encouraging. But i agree it is up to them when/if they want help, forcing it on them doesn't do any good, its like quitting smoking, you do it gradually. It's good they have others so they don't feel lonely....but it usually makes them worse. Its a paradox really.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes but if the people WANT to be affected then isnt that a free choice. As long as the people on there arent children and the websites stay unadvertised and dont discourage recovery then I think its fine.

    The problem is that many of these communities ARE targeted at teenaged girls, do discourage recovery, and attack people who recover from their illness. If you dare to try and recover the implication is that you are too weak-willed to continue, and that you are too weak and stupid to remain in control.

    That's the problem. They're not innocent websites out to make people feel as part of a community, they are deliberately and directly targeted in such a way as to positively discourage recovery and promote continuing this illness.

    I fully appreciate what you're saying, and I do get your point. I just feel that you are wrong. I haven't got the ED experience, but I have got the SH experience, and I have always been completely against the pro-SH websites as well, for the same reason.

    I do think ballerina is being very very naive, and completely and totally missing the point behind why people do develop ED.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i just checked out xanga.com and typed in "thinspiration"...there are quite a few sites on there that are pro-ana etc...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    I do think ballerina is being very very naive, and completely and totally missing the point behind why people do develop ED.
    i don't think people develop EDs just because of thin celebs/models ect. It can be about control, self esteem, pressure, abuse...all sorts of stuff. It's different for all of them.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    i never said that, i just think its like encouraging smokers to smoke more, or overeaters to eat more.....
    Yeah and tbh, i think thats choice too.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah and tbh, i think thats choice too.
    its choice yes, but it doesn't make it any better
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    its choice yes, but it doesn't make it any better
    no, its silly to you or i, but that doesnt mean its terrible and should be banned.
    The site i used to go to, most of the people on it were late teens, early 20s with the odd one older than that. I remember someone came on once who was 13 and everyone just basically saying you shouldnt be doing this, youre too young. strongly discouraging it
Sign In or Register to comment.