Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

references

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am looking to apply for another job but I was wondering what to do for references as I don't want the job I am currently in to find out that I am looking for another job. Suggestions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your current/previous employer should normally be a referee, and any company that you apply to will probably want to know why they're not. Many companies insist.

However references are normally only requested after interview. For this very reason. I'd put your current employer down, to be honest.
    Kermit wrote:
    However references are normally only requested after interview. For this very reason. I'd put your current employer down, to be honest.

Yep.

I didn't have to give any details of my (now previous) employer until I'd formally accepted the new job offer.
    As some of you might know ive got a job in america for the summer, but i still have to have an interview as a formality, and need to take two references, ive just called work now an they are saying they cant give me a written reference, but i can give thier details to the interviewer, not helpful really. :(
    They won't write a reference for you without being approached by your new employer, because for many companies it simply isn't professional to do that.

will your line manager offer a personal reference?
    I work for argos, and only do a sunday now since moving away to uni, but i spoke to the over all store manager this morning an he basically just said what you did, that i'd have to go through camp america and just give them the details for contact.
    Camp America will have come across it before, I suspect they've said that to avoid having to do their own donkey work.

Businesses normally will only provide professional referees when directly approached by another business- otherwise you could use their name to apply for anything.
    I'll just have to explain, and if its a problem then they can contact them. Thanks for your help :)
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I am looking to apply for another job but I was wondering what to do for references as I don't want the job I am currently in to find out that I am looking for another job. Suggestions?

A lot of application forms will also have a box to tick to say that you dont want your referees contacted until you are seriously considered for the job.