Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

One force to deal with illegal immigrants? Not a chance!

Sir Chris Fox. Not a name you might be familar with. He's the outgoing president of ACPO - the Association of Chief Police Officers. Since he's in the last few weeks, it means he no longer has to cosy up to the government, neither does he have to worry about when he'll get his peerage. I'm sure a loan to the Labour Party would secure that seat in the Lords. Anyway, he's said a new "border force" should be set up to clamp down on illegal immigration.

Sir Chris told the BBC: "I think that will make us a far more co-ordinated organisation against criminality and illegal entry... the police service might be involved in criminality and may want people to come in so we can, if you like, follow them to wherever they're going with whatever they've got, to catch a network of criminals. The priority for customs is to seize the products that they're carrying. So we need all those objectives being brought together with one organisation that makes decisions about when is the right time to act."

>> Details >>

Predictably enough, the Government's Resident Village Idiot, sorry, I mean Immigration Minister, Tony McNulty effectively told him to bugger off whilst Tory Damian Green was completely in favour. The Home Affairs Select Committee has also been pressing the government to do this for years. But will ministers listen?

As always, not a chance. And why not? This rotten, useless Government has admitted already that it has no idea how many illegal immigrants are in the country. And all this is very topical - this inability to control our borders was partly responsible for the dreadful events in Morecambe Bay. 21 illegal immigrants from China drowned thanks to evil gangmasters who brought them to the UK.

So, why won't the government take action to rid us of illegal immigrants? Is it by design, default or just breathtaking incompetence?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    So, why won't the government take action to rid us of illegal immigrants?

remind me why we don't like illegal immigrants again. I know if I lived somewhere crummy and saw somewhere better- I'd move, legal or not, wouldn't you?
    So, why won't the government take action to rid us of illegal immigrants?

:lol:

Because it's not in the "governments" interest to properly solve any problem. It is in their interests to half solve stuff, because then they can ask for more money, more resources next time around.

The best way for them to approach this problem would be to put the guns down, back away from their meddling and trade peacefully and voluntarily like normal people.

Seriously, all such a move would do would make people trafficing more risky, and therefore more profitable. So it would go UP!
    It is unfortunate that people are born living in places that are dangerous, crap, diseased, etc. But if they want to leave they can do it legally. If they have no system for leaving legally, tough luck, basically. Why should our economy, our tax payers, our money go to dealing with them in one way or another when they come to our country? If i want to help people suffering in countries with famine, disease, war, etc, i will make a charity donation and give them a hand out in that form. I dont want it forced on me.

I am all for legal immigration to Britain, all for people coming here and adding to our society and community and enriching the nation for the better. I am not for people forcing their presence on this society illegally! Might be unpopular view, but it is my view.
    subject13 wrote:
    I am all for legal immigration to Britain, all for people coming here and adding to our society and community and enriching the nation for the better. I am not for people forcing their presence on this society illegally! Might be unpopular view, but it is my view.
    That's right. Legal and managed migration is good. Britain can't take everyone, however. There's 60million people already and the South East of England is already dangerously crowded. There simply isn't room for everyone. However, let's say illegal immigration was dealt with - the black economy would probably suffer as well.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    the South East of England is already dangerously crowded.
    wtf?

The only danger I see is the demonisation of hard working immigrants, many of whom prop up public services and undertake poorly paid jobs, and have done so since the Commonwealth immigrants of the 50s.
    subject13 wrote:
    It is unfortunate that people are born living in places that are dangerous, crap, diseased, etc. But if they want to leave they can do it legally. If they have no system for leaving legally, tough luck, basically. Why should our economy, our tax payers, our money go to dealing with them in one way or another when they come to our country? If i want to help people suffering in countries with famine, disease, war, etc, i will make a charity donation and give them a hand out in that form. I dont want it forced on me.
    I take it from that then that you hold the same position of Klintock, that we shouldn't have to pay taxes, and that everyone should be required to pay their own way, despite some starting out in worse circumstances than others? Otherwise it's no different to saying "well I'm sorry that your parents are drug addicts kid, but I don't see why I should be forced to contribute to your care, go to a charity instead." Or is it different if they're British?
    Who said i dont think we should pay taxes? Taxes are important to paying for a lot of things, like the NHS and so forth! I never said iw as against taxes, i said i was against taxes been used to pay the way of illegal immigrants who force themselves on this country and cause this money to be diverted away from schools and away from hospitals, etc.

You read what i wrote, then decided to think what you wanted to about what i said, just because you disagree with my opinion. I could do that with you, by saying that because you think we should help illegal immigrants and accept them and do nothing to stop them entering this country but help them out, why cant we go one step further and intervene in their native countries an sort out all the problems of that country no matter the cost and effect on this country. Why should we accept that they come from a sovereign nation, when we can just go in and interfere to help them out so they can have better lives, even if it mean using all the money in our economy to do it.
    subject13 wrote:
    Who said i dont think we should pay taxes? Taxes are important to paying for a lot of things, like the NHS and so forth! I never said iw as against taxes, i said i was against taxes been used to pay the way of illegal immigrants who force themselves on this country and cause this money to be diverted away from schools and away from hospitals, etc.

You read what i wrote, then decided to think what you wanted to about what i said, just because you disagree with my opinion. I could do that with you, by saying that because you think we should help illegal immigrants and accept them and do nothing to stop them entering this country but help them out, why cant we go one step further and intervene in their native countries an sort out all the problems of that country no matter the cost and effect on this country. Why should we accept that they come from a sovereign nation, when we can just go in and interfere to help them out so they can have better lives, even if it mean using all the money in our economy to do it.
    I think you'll find that I haven't given an opinion on this issue, so don't try to tell me what I think about an issue. If you look more closely, my post was entirely quesitons, so don't get your knickers in a twist.

The point of my post was to get you to clarify your position. It seems a bit strange that you're all for being forced into helping people born into poverty in this country (through taxes), but are so against being forced into helping people in the same situation in another country. Why does one group of people mean more to you that another? How can you just say "tough luck" to one group of people, but be happy to (be forced to) help another group?
    Because there are from another country! They have Governments there, they have their own systems and so forth. Make ones own country better and getting it to a level where there is no poverty, famine, disease, etc is a goal to be strived for. If you are constantly having to turn down opportunities to improve your own country to accomodate those of other countries in other countries and those who come to our country illegally, only adding to the problem and diverting funds away from where they are needed, it merely undermines the attempt to better ones own country.

Why should any on country have to aid any other country, in a forced sense? Why should money given in taxes to this country have to go to other countries citizens? They have their own sovereignty do they not? They have their own system and independence, as do we. Helping people is very noble, and i am all for charity organisations doing just that, and donating to them infact, but why should my Government be throwing money at illegal immigrants who force themselves on this country and other nations in poverty when this country is already in a state of much needed aid! Fuel costs are high, hospitals are still a joke, transport is laughable, law enforcement has reached an all time low with the highest number of assaults on police officers ever recorded occuring, school and the whole education system is beyond a joke. AND we still have our own homeless problems and unemployment problems to be dealt with. Surely any rational and intelligent Government should first have a duty to its own citizens before those of another country?
    stargalaxy really is a walking talking copy of the mail
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    MrG wrote:

Immigrants = cheap labour = economically sensible.

So, they are useful, as they will work for naff all and keep the cockle indutry going. (as you may have seen, they are still doing this with immigrants. And the police are doing.... nothing.)
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Immigrants = cheap labour = economically sensible.

So, they are useful, as they will work for naff all and keep the cockle indutry going. (as you may have seen, they are still doing this with immigrants. And the police are doing.... nothing.)
    Yeah, but it's legal immigrants now. Apparently they're all Polish.
    subject13 wrote:
    (split this into two) - Fuel costs are high, hospitals are still a joke, transport is laughable, law enforcement has reached an all time low with the highest number of assaults on police officers ever recorded occuring, school and the whole education system is beyond a joke.

- AND we still have our own homeless problems and unemployment problems to be dealt with. Surely any rational and intelligent Government should first have a duty to its own citizens before those of another country?
    - Fuel costs are high in this country largely because of the taxation system. It also means oil companies make virtually no profit at all in this country. The only one who benefits is Gordon Brown and The Treasury.
    - Hospitals are improving, to an extent. Waiting lists are down, more money is going in. Yet the deficits some NHS trusts have now got suggest not all has gone to plan. 25% of the NHS's budget now goes on pen-pushers. I suspect any business which spent that percentage of its income on bureaucracy would soon go bankrupt.
    - Transport's not in the best of states, investment in real terms has been practically on-hold for years, despite the fact the amount people pay in taxes to use the roads is rising.
    - As for the education system, the pathetically high rates of illiteracy which leave thousands consigned to the scrap heap is damning enough in itself.

We do indeed have loads of problems in this country. But our Government doesn't give a damn. And neither, it seems, does Mr Blair. Having been caught out selling peerages, he's disappeared out of the country until the heat dies down. On Thursday, he went to Brussels for a summit at the EU circus. On Saturday, he went to Australia to close the Commonwealth Games and for talks with the Australian PM. He then went on to New Zealand and to Indonesia for more talks. Doesn't he have anything better to do? Something useful to Britain for a change? No, we have a Prime Minister in his final days who long stopped caring. And Britain as a whole is the loser for it.
    MrG wrote:
    That may not be an entirely bad thing were it true. In fairness, there's a lot of money to be made from writing for the big-selling newspapers, like The Sun and the Daily Mail. I could earn a fortune, and all I have to do is write a piece with a few thousands words once a week - if it's even that many words.
    erm then how come fuel companies make massive profits in the US when their fuel is cheaper, the taxation on fuel is percentage based, so you only pay more tax when the price goes up, which is down to the oil companies, and uk based oil companies have recently announced reord breaking profits