Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

How long would you wait?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and a friend of mine were having a detailed discussion last night about how long you would wait after your missed period to do a pregnancy test. She said she would wait a couple of days. I said a good week or so to be sure it just wasnt late.

What about everyone else? Would you do it straight away or wait a while?

Comments

• Options
    it'd depend whether i thought there was a chance that i could be pregnant. but then you wouldn't take a test if you didn't think you could be... as soon as i could in that case!
  • Options
    Personally I would wait a good week at least, as my cycle can range from about 28-36 days, but normally its between 30-34 days. So it can naturally vary by a week for me anyway.

It really depends upon how regular your cycle is, if you are always between 28-30 days (for example), then you could do a test earlier then say someone like me who is not so regular.
  • Options
    Probably only if I missed 2 in a row unless there was reason to think otherwise. I'm ridiculously irregular and miss periods all over the place so I'm usually not too worried.
  • Options
    depend on whether i was trying to get pregnant or not. Some tests you can do 4 days before your due date.
  • Options
    As someone said, it would depend how regular your cycles are. Cause I'm always a few days late. So I know not to worry and would give myself a week from when I'm due my period.
  • Options
    I'd test as soon as your period was due.

With this baby, I tested a strong positive almost 4 days before my period was even due! :yeees:
  • Options
    Depends also when you last had unprotected sex. You cannot detect a pregnancy for at least 21 days after you have conceived.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Depends also when you last had unprotected sex. You cannot detect a pregnancy for at least 21 days after you have conceived.
    thats not true at all.
  • Options
    Yeah ya see my mate was like a couple of days because she would want to know ASAP. I was like nah give it about a week, periods can be late for a number of reasons.

Also when it comes to teenagers they have little money and pregnancy tests arent always easy to get hold of.
  • Options
    thats not true at all.
    thank god
  • Options
    Depends, i tested a few days before i was due when i was pregnant with James as i just knew and we had been having unprotected sex for a month. Although i didn't expect to fall straight away as i had been on the pill for years!