Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Like to write?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's also this:

Sky young journo comp
  • Options
    It is my ambition to actually get off my arse and do some proper writing. At the moment though I am just reading voraciously to get back into the swing of things and jotting down things as and when I get ideas.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about writing a book for a while. First i thought about writing about my own life, but seriously, would anybody be in the slightest bit interested?! Then i came up with what i thought was a good story, but the content meant that it would have been more suited to a middle aged woman writing mills and boons novels, so i scrapped that aswell!
    Lately, i've been reading alot of historical fiction, so i'm thinking about trying my hand at that, and the good thing about history is that it's happened, so the basic storyline is there for you, but i'm having trouble coming up with any characters, because i know i'll just end up completely ripping off anything i've read, ie Sharpe.....!
  • Options
    i have tried and failed and tried again.
    i have a lot i want to say.
    one day maybe.

:yes:
  • Options
    I'd love to write a book. I reckon I have the writing skills to do it, but I have no characters, no plot and no imagination so it probably won't happen!
    Seconded. I'd be really interested in going into journalism or something but being a bit of a daft cow I'm doing a degree in archaeology, classics and classical art. D'oh.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    piccolo wrote:
    Seconded. I'd be really interested in going into journalism or something but being a bit of a daft cow I'm doing a degree in archaeology, classics and classical art. D'oh.

Not a daft cow at all - its really important to do a degree that you are interested in and being able to research, write well etc etc are all skills that can be transferred into the world of journalism. Also, even if you do a degree in journalism you need NCTJ qualifications for newspapers which is a post grad and you can do it with any degree. The most important thing is cuttings/experience though so if you try and get involved with college paper/write something for TheSite!!/try and get work experience then all those things can help you get into the field.
  • Options
    Cheers, Helen.

Been thinking about writing for one of the college paper but this year it's been a non-starter (and they're soooo cliquey). Have another 2, though, so hopefully.

I guess I need to know asap if I'm even any good.
  • Options
    I can't believe this post is still going it seems so long ago since I put this up. I havent been around for a while. Its interesting reading all your comments though!

Thnx
    Steve
  • Options
    I spent some years thinking/wishing about writing a book - now I have - an ebook about taking control of your life (I am a life coach). I am really glad I did. It has helped me to focus and get more and more into writing. I also have a number of articles published on the net. If you are thinking about it, take the next step and start writing. It could lead to great things!
  • Options
    hmm i might try and think of something, or if i have a mental rant in my head about customers or something, might be worth developing
  • Options
    I wrote a book once. Ended up being about 40,000 words so almost novel length but not quite. It was a young adult novel, half set in our world and half in a fantasy world. But I did actually finish it which is a serious achievement for someone with my patience and perserverence. :)

Sent it off to a couple of publishers before deciding it needed a major rewrite.

But I decided I'd write another book first, come back to it later. So then I came up with the idea for about twenty different books and have been trying to decide which one to write ever since. :D

Think the key to me finishing the first book was knowing the ending before I started, a really cool ending at that. Having those last few lines already in my head really helped me slog through it. So guess I just need to come up with a cool ending for one of my other twenty books and I'll be golden.
  • Options
    I'd really be interested in writing something for The Site, but everything pretty much seems to have been covered!!

Also, if anyone is interested, they can check out my link: takes you to my DeviantArt site with a coupla stories and some poetry :thumb: