Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Samaritans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have experience of working for them? Or worked for a similar organisation? Ive decided to volunteer for them as Im a good listener and used to helping people with their problems. Plus got to a stage now where I am not sure what I want to be doing in life work wise and feel the need to do something new.

Comments

• Options
    I had an interview with them yesterday actually. It was more of an informal coffee morning with those silly games that they get you to play sometimes in interviews to find out the way you think. There was also a video and a recording of a "typical" call, and we had to pick out things from it. Then we all had individual interviews. The guy who interviewed me said he thought id be super at it. I think i would be good at it too so it was nice to hear. Hopefully ill get a place on their training course in april if someone drops out (its full atm) but if not, then itll be october.
  • Options
    I had an interview with them yesterday actually. It was more of an informal coffee morning with those silly games that they get you to play sometimes in interviews to find out the way you think. There was also a video and a recording of a "typical" call, and we had to pick out things from it. Then we all had individual interviews. The guy who interviewed me said he thought id be super at it. I think i would be good at it too so it was nice to hear. Hopefully ill get a place on their training course in april if someone drops out (its full atm) but if not, then itll be october.

Sounds like it went well. Good luck with it! Didnt realise you went through an interview process first and didnt consider that it may be full. Ive just sent off for the information pack. Which branch you trying for?
  • Options
    colchester branch :)

it was really informal. I didnt know thered be an interview either and hadnt prepared for one - but i dont think preparing would help tbh, its to do with who you actually are as a person.
  • Options
    colchester branch :)

it was really informal. I didnt know thered be an interview either and hadnt prepared for one - but i dont think preparing would help tbh, its to do with who you actually are as a person.

Cool, Im trying for the London one. Informal sounds good :)
  • Options
    go for it and good luck. I imagine itll be really rewarding.
  • Options
    Good luck to both of you, my dad is a samaritan and has been doing it for yearssss. Just be prepared to do night shifts and stuff :p
  • Options
    yeah they expect you to do one night per 5 or 6 weeks i think, but its not a whole night. its either 9pm till 2am or 2am till 9am i think.
  • Options
    ive just applyed to work for the rape crisis helpline and gt my interview on wed
  • Options
    ive just applyed to work for the rape crisis helpline and gt my interview on wed
    my mums going to do that. Shes got a 7 month training course starting in september. Shes suggested i go for that too.