Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Help with CV wording

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been a bar supervisor for almost a year and I'm wondering how the best way would be to write up about it on my CV. My duties include cashing up for my team, banking, stocktaking, arranging rotas, balancing the books as well as the usual bar duties (ie pulling pints etc). I'm not saying I want someone to word it for me, I'm just after some ideas about how to sell those duties on my CV.

TIA

Comments

• Options
    I've been a bar supervisor for almost a year and I'm wondering how the best way would be to write up about it on my CV. My duties include cashing up for my team, banking, stocktaking, arranging rotas, balancing the books as well as the usual bar duties (ie pulling pints etc). I'm not saying I want someone to word it for me, I'm just after some ideas about how to sell those duties on my CV.

TIA

im gonna have to keep an eye on this thread cause i was thinking about asking a very similar question soon
  • Options
    You're half way there!

Booty Skank I think you're half way there: you described your roles with words ending in 'ing' - doing words. My tip is to somehow bullet point your roles into short sentences or phrases beginning each bullet with the doing word. e.g.

- arranging rotas
    - balancing books

etc.

Can I suggest that you use the word 'co-ordinating' instead of the word 'arranging'? It sounds so much more important, responsible and impressive.

Get a thesaurus and look for alternative words to the ones you have mentioned - see if they sound better. But be warned as sometimes they may be over the top and over-glorify or obscure what you really do. We all remember the example of Waste Disposal Operative really meaning dustman!

Good luck.

BTW You must be wanting another job if you are updating your CV. What do you want to do next?
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the suggestions, they've given me something to think about.

Not all that sure what I want to do next, although I may give the unsociable hours of bar work a miss. I'm looking for something with a bit more of a challenge, possibly callcentre work at supervisory level? I'm particularly comfortable in a customer-facing role, so I might look to that field :)
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the suggestions, they've given me something to think about.

Not all that sure what I want to do next, although I may give the unsociable hours of bar work a miss. I'm looking for something with a bit more of a challenge, possibly callcentre work at supervisory level? I'm particularly comfortable in a customer-facing role, so I might look to that field :)

If your going into a job that involves customer service it's very useful to come from a job with customer service experience. If this is part of your bar duty maybe talk about that.

Show how you can use your initiative, work as a team and be very responsible, especially for the supervisors role. Having these skills and being good at them is very essential I would have said.

Hope it helps.