Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

£50 Refund

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I paid a £50 deposit on a venue in at the very begining of Feb 2006, then a few days later they had the rudest person call me to cancel my booking.

I asked about having my £50 paid by credit card refunded and they at first said they'll think about it, then later they said I should wait 10 days for a cheque to be sent, now it's been about 5 weeks.

The credit card company wrote to say they can't help.

I'm thinking of filling out a form for the small claims court now - more on priniciple then anything else - the fee is £30 and don't mind risking losing £30 but want to know what the maximum I could lose is if they win instead of me if it went to court, I believe they are not allowed to claim back for solicitors.

Comments

• PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Before you go any further, you didn't mention if you called more than once but perhaps you should go and see them face to face - if you know the name of the person who called to cancel your booking that may help as well.

Otherwise the next step would be to write a letter to them, I'm sure they will hurry up once you have done this!

The Citizen's Advice Bureau may also be able to offer you advice - http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm

All the best
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've called and emailed them a number of time over the last 2 months now.

I've also faxed them.

They asked me two weeks ago to send my bank account details cos it would be easier hen sending a cheque and as yet there is no reply.

I've now emailed them today saying I'll be looking into the small claim court route as it's been a long time now that I've been waiting.
    Sounds fair to me, you have contacted them numerous time and you have given them notice that you are going to take the small claims route.
    If you lose your lost your £30 in the Small Claims Court, that's all. You are not liable for their legal fees, as the process is designed to not require lawyers.

You do have to explored all reasonable avenues first to ensure repayment. It sounds like you have.

The Small Claims Court.
    erm sily question here, but when i forgot to pay my minimum payment on my credit card of £5

i was going to pay £15, but i was in london at the time and forgot, and they charged me £20. you think its possible to claim that charges back?

or would you consider the fact that im £60 in debt to them the benchmark, and not the £5 they expected me to pay
    MrG wrote:
    erm sily question here, but when i forgot to pay my minimum payment on my credit card of £5

i was going to pay £15, but i was in london at the time and forgot, and they charged me £20. you think its possible to claim that charges back?

or would you consider the fact that im £60 in debt to them the benchmark, and not the £5 they expected me to pay

surely you forgot to pay the payment therefore they penalised you for it, you aint gonna get anything back there im sure...

direct debit is your friend.
    yeh but if i didnt make a payment into a bank account, which then went over drawn by an amount, then they would charge me £30, which is claimable