Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Drug trials

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    If people in my community were dying of starvation because the only place selling food was the Stop and Shop and they couldn't afford to pay Stop and Shop prices, then I'd reckon their profit margins should be examined...

A fair point, but its the same supply and demand I'm afraid, if we as rich westerners want Third World people to have drugs then we should pay for it, not moan that businesses dont do it.

Its a crappy system we have, but at present its all we have.
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    If people in my community were dying of starvation because the only place selling food was the Stop and Shop and they couldn't afford to pay Stop and Shop prices, then I'd reckon their profit margins should be examined...

The point is, though, that even at cost many drugs would be completely unaffordable for the Third World.

That's how it is. If they want to spend their money on killing each other rather than saving each other, then that isn't really the fault of GSK. Take Sudan, for instance, it's not exactly a country with no money- its just the people with money don't want to spend it on the hoi polloi.

And it isn't just the MNCs that sometimes abuse their position. The Army, for instance, forced privates to test drugs like sarin until very recently.

And for the record, companies like GSK donate an awful lot to charitable foundations. TheSite wouldn't be in business if it wasn't for the money from the likes of Vodafone, Oracle and Lloyds TSB.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    This has definitely become a political issue now - so moving it over there.
    whats with all the spammy posts today