Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

think i may have caught something ....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
help. me and my b/f have been having sex without using condoms. We have been careful so i don't get pregnant and neither of us have ever had any STI nasties or anything like that. Anyway I was reading an article about chlamydia and how loads of young people have got it and don't even know about it. I'm worried now that I may have caught something and don't know what to do - please don't tell me to go the clinic or docs I would be too embarassed! Have the condom thing sorted out now, we found a great way to get them by sms, so at least we don't have to go to the chemists. Is there any way I can check I haven't caught anything???

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sambuca wrote:
    Is there any way I can check I haven't caught anything???
    nope. go to the doctors or a clinic.
    You can buy some self-test kits that you can use to check for std's, although these are quite expensive and i think only check for certain things rather than doing a fullscreen like they would if you got tested at a hospital/clinic. If you wanted to get these i think youc an buy them from pharmacies or online. However, if you find out you have something you have to go to get treated anyways... so seems like the best thing to do would be to just go get checked, plus then you would get oodles of free condoms if you went to a family planning clinic :)

And getting tested isn't nice, but its no way as bad as you think it's going to be
    what do u mean, u got condoms sorted by sms???
    go to your doctors or a local gu clinic (Genito-urinary) search to find your closest one , you dont have to even give your name and everything is totally confidential.

if you go to a GU clinic they see so many people a week they wont even blink. it not plesent being checked out but it doesnt hurt or anything. Like Kathrys said isnt it better to be embarrased for 10 min than infertile for life?

*eta* theres a post at the top of this section that tells you what to expect at the gum clinic
    hi groovejet, heard about it on the radio you text condom to 80806 and they send you 3 in the post - its really easy.

One of the posts above says they give you loads of free condoms at family planning but not sure I'm brave enough to go there yet!
    Sorry to get on my high horse, but how daft can you get? Up until now you hadn't been using condoms because both of you were to scared to go into a chemist? You'd rather risk catching something or pregnancy because of that?! And even know in all probability you haven't got anything, you'd rather risk it because a clinic where normal people go to simply make sure the're clear is to 'embaressing'? Christ, i'm guessing you aren't a pair of shy 13 year olds, so do the right thing....!
    Jeez if you find it embarrasing buying condoms how embarrased are you gonna be when your lying on your back with a nurse feeling up inside you to find out how dilated you are and then stick a hook up inside to induce labour. And then stitching you back up again after squeezing 8lbs of screaming baby out.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Sambuca, going to a GUM clinic really isn't as scary as many people think - have a look at our FAQ on visiting a GUM clinic to help put your mind at ease.
    Go to your GP's. Getting an appointment at the GUM clinic is a bitch.....

if you don't want your usual doc then ask to see another one. But eyah, go to you GP's is what I recommend.
    Walkindude wrote:
    Getting an appointment at the GUM clinic is a bitch.....

Not me personal experience to be fair. I called my GUM directly and was seen the next day.
    Not summat I wanted to admit to...

but I rang up first thing, got all engaged and then even early morning they had all booked up. Rang my docs though and got straight in.
    i just walked in an took a seat, pissed ina tube an that was that... although i didnt go for my results, lol
    i think thats just the test for chlamydia. an examination at a gum clinic is a bit more involved.
    lipsy wrote:
    i think thats just the test for chlamydia. an examination at a gum clinic is a bit more involved.

:yes:

The "full works" include blood tests and swabs. Quick. Easy. Simple.
    Swabs :S

painful
    up your japs eye :razz:
    lipsy wrote:
    up your japs eye :razz:

tbh it's not painful. A little uncomfortable but not sore. And they don't stick it right up just kinda 'round-the-edges'.

:thumb:
    it does hurt actually, up the japs eye. I did it myself rather then have someone else jam a cotton bud up my willy.
    Walkindude wrote:
    it does hurt actually, up the japs eye. I did it myself rather then have someone else jam a cotton bud up my willy.

That's why it probably hurt you moron.

Believe me it doesn't hurt. I've had two checkups and neither hurt. They don't "jam a cotton bud up your willy" they just run it round just inside the entry hole.
    I know!!!

And its not bloody nice!!! Certyainly not summat I want to repeat or felt pleasent.
    I was told it's like an extra large cotton bud and they shove it all the way down till it's nearly inside your ball bag then scrape or twist it.

It's making me cringe just thinking about it.
    :lol: i doubt it.
    It's making me cringe just thinking about it.

I'll second that!
    If thats what you heard then yeah!! That makes me cringe.

But on mine it was inside the haps eye, a bit down, but not that far down!!!
    I actually 'made' my boyfriend go for testing today! He phoned a few days ago and got his appointment for today.

He said they did the blood test all fine, then they stuck the cotton bud thing up his.. um yeah, hole. he said it was VERY painful but only lasted a second so was okay. Better having some quick pain than having an STD. As it happens he was all clear :) Just gotta wait for the HIV test to come back now, (2-3 weeks) which hopefully is clear too.
    Believe me it doesn't hurt. I've had two checkups and neither hurt.
    Yes it does - not much, but more than enough to call uncomfortable.
    The first time it caught me by surprise, and my fist had already travelled a foot before I realised what was happening.
    if your old enough to have sex and are having it unprotected you shouldn't be ashamed to go to a GUM. it's what you should do and i don't want to be all judgy but stop being silly and get yourself checked out, you probably don't have anything if you've both never had anything but some things don't have symptoms. like has been said better safe than sorry (infertile)...
    hi guys, thanx for the advice its reassuring to see that everyone seems to be saying the same. The only thing I wanted to check though is that I haven't actually got any symptoms or anything - surely you all didn't go on the off chance - it must have been because there was some unsightly puss or warts or whatever it is that happens to you???? Are they gonna think I'm wasting their time???
    How much do they cost, how long do they take to come and how do they know your address?

Is there a website for it?

They cost £3 for 3 and come next day - u have to text ur address to them.
    £3 for three? That's more expensive than the vending machines in the gents toilet.

To compare, you can get about 12 for £5 from Tesco.

You're being ripped off, pet. All that cost because you're too embarrassed to let someone in a chemist know that a) you're getting it and b) you're smart enough to do it safely. That's quite sad.

Chlamydia, of course, has no symptoms. It's unlikely you'll have it if you are monogamous and this is your first sexual relationship, but if either of you have had previous relationships then you are most definitely taking a risk. And chlamydia isn't something you want to leave untreated.

Go to the GUM or Family Planning Clinic, and get tested. It takes about 15 minutes, and it makes sure you are safe. They will be pleased that you are taking good care of your sexual health, and not having something is a good thing.

I would also say that unless you are taking another form of contraception, e.g. the pill, then you are at a big risk of pregnancy. The withdrawal method doesn't work, as there are sperm in a man's pre-cum, and if you do it enough times you WILL get pregnant.
    sambuca wrote:
    hi guys, thanx for the advice its reassuring to see that everyone seems to be saying the same. The only thing I wanted to check though is that I haven't actually got any symptoms or anything - surely you all didn't go on the off chance - it must have been because there was some unsightly puss or warts or whatever it is that happens to you???? Are they gonna think I'm wasting their time???

No no nooo!! Most of the time you never see signs that you've caught something. So of course they won't feel as though you're wasting their time.

People just go for check-ups, even if nothing shows that there might be something wrong.
    lots of people go and get cheked when they have a new partner before they stop using condoms. i went and got checked because i just wanted to be safe, i didnt have any symptoms or anything.

they wont think your wasting their time, for a lot of people the first symptom is infertility!

really its not as bad as you imagine, bit the bullet and go, you will feel so much better once you know that your all clear. and if your not well then shurly its better to know so that it can be treated