Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Retracting bids on Ebay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do I do it? I have kind of... err... bid on something I shouldn't have last night when I was... well, drunk. And it's very expensive. And I have a chance of winning. Can I retract my bid?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    usually if you contact the seller and inform them that you are unable to meet the bid, explain the circumstances etc, theywill usually let you off.
    Welsh Jemz wrote:
    usually if you contact the seller and inform them that you are unable to meet the bid, explain the circumstances etc, theywill usually let you off.
    How do I do that?

"Sorry, I was drunk, can I retract my bid?" lol :|

I think I might wait a day or so to see if I get outbid then speak to them about it. Because £980, although cheap for what I'm bidding on, is a lot of money :|
    on the page that shows the item, there should be a bit on the side saying 'contact seller'
    What was it? </nosey bitch mode>
    What was it? </nosey bitch mode>
    A car!!
    Ohhhhh
    Ohhhhh
    Yeah, oops!
    Dont say you were drunk, say something like you've spoken to your Dad or someone and it's not got the engine you thought it had or something equally technical that "us women" would get confused about :p
    Dont say you were drunk, say something like you've spoken to your Dad or someone and it's not got the engine you thought it had or something equally technical that "us women" would get confused about :p
    Lmao!

Such a good idea!
    \
    what maximum bid did you make? or would you rather not say? just because she said a similar car is going for £1800, so if it's substantially less than that, you might be ok. you'll probably be the high bidder right up until the last few hours or so though which could be a bit panicky!
    £981. So if one other person bids then I lose it. Fingers crossed!!
    As there is four days left and the fact you have only out bid the other person by £20, there may be a chance that they return and place another bid, but I would not leave it more then a couple of days before you contact the seller, and say something like what GV said.
    Little_one wrote:
    As there is four days left and the fact you have only out bid the other person by £20, there may be a chance that they return and place another bid, but I would not leave it more then a couple of days before you contact the seller, and say something like what GV said.

Exactly, chances are that in that 4 days somebody will outbid you anyway.
    \
    i could probably get the cash actually. And I am looking for a car. If I win I might just go for it.
    \
    Right, after speaking with my boyfriend (and being shouted at lots) I've emailed the seller and asked her to retract my bid. I was pretty up-front and just said I can't afford to pay for it, can she please retract my bid.
    Oh if you were going to bid on something while drunk why not make it worth while lol!

SERIOUSLY A DAEWOO LOL :p
    See, I'm sneakier. To save face I would have done the following.

Opened another eBay account. Out bid yourself. Then when the auction closes the seller would have contacted account#2 and would have got no response. She would then have contacted the real you as the 2nd highest bidder and asked you if you still wanted it to which you would have replied no thanks I got something else.

Easy.
    See I'd of just said someone found out my password and bid without my permission
    it still has 3 days left so chances are you'd be outbid anyway.
    i dont know if youve sorted it yet? but you do not need to contact them, you can just retract yourself aslong as their is more than 12 hours left on the auction.

let me know i you need help doing that
    Sera wrote:
    Right, after speaking with my boyfriend (and being shouted at lots) I've emailed the seller and asked her to retract my bid. I was pretty up-front and just said I can't afford to pay for it, can she please retract my bid.

And might I just add, your flatmate thought it was a daft thing to do...... :rolleyes:
    lol - I've done that too! Luckily I didn't win - bet the seller was glad it bumped their price up!
    Daewoo Matiz? :p
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Doofay wrote:
    Daewoo Matiz? :p
    Not even a good car... :(
    i might bid on a porsche now for the pure heck :D
    Jim V wrote:
    See I'd of just said someone found out my password and bid without my permission

or you were hacked or something.
    What happened?