Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Creatine V. Protein

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I've been underweight for.. along time.
the doctor says i need to gain weight. I've been trying forever with no luck.
I'm thinking about using creatine or protein powders (mmm, grit water :yuck: )
I don't really know which is better - any thoughts? could I do both?

Comments

• Options
    well if your doc is telling you you should gain weight, he ought to have some tips on a healthy way to do it. I've heard some warnings about getting enough water whilst using creatine... maybe your local gym can help. Have you tried weights? I assume you need to gain more muscle than fat, though a low fat body percentage isn't too healthy either. Here we can get body/muscle/water analysis machines for under a fiver- you might be able to get something like this from Walmart? The ones I've seen are pretty simple, you input your weight, height, age, sex and put your thumbs on the pads- twenty seonds later it gives you a reading adn there's usually a little chart on the box to tell you a healthy range. (in case any UK peeps are wondering, I saw a cheap one of these in Wilkinsons)
  • Options
    I've tried lifting, it did a little bit, but i don't really have the time for it. I'm on the road alot and lugging around weights just isn't cool!
    Muscle is the ideal gain, though i could do with some fat too :D
  • Options
    they both essentialy have the same result. Creatine has a tendency to make you retain water in your muscles (which sticks around after you stop training) and can cause flab later in life.
  • Options
    yeah, so protein sounds better because it's more permanent?
  • Options
    So, I've been underweight for.. along time.
    the doctor says i need to gain weight. I've been trying forever with no luck.
    I'm thinking about using creatine or protein powders (mmm, grit water :yuck: )
    I don't really know which is better - any thoughts? could I do both?

I believe one of the best ways to put on meat is to eat more meat.
  • Options
    Best thing is a strictly followed program. Weights whilst eating lots of carbs and proteins. Fat will be gained aswell. Theres quite a few good websites out there.

www.abcbodybuilding.com
    www.bodybuilding.com

Are 2 good ones, I think....

ETA: the bodybuilding.com one may be an advertisement one, I'm not 100%, but the abcbodybuilding is very good.