Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

University students (bank accounts)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

I joined HSBC over a year ago because their service seemed pretty good. They offer good service to under graduatuaes and still look after you after graduation.

I just wondered if anyone would reccomned the bank account they use for good interest rates and overdraft amounts/limits etc. Im just unsure about hsbc because they smack lots of offers in my face but when it comes to the underlying service im not sure if its so good.

Any help would be great...

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi ya,
    I've never used HSBC myself - but you might find this thread interesting.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Hi ya,
    I've never used HSBC myself - but you might find this thread interesting.
    I can more-or-less confirm everything that the thread says about HSBC being rubbish is true. I'm going to have to go and see them soon about some banking stuff - I'm dreading it already.
  • Options
    I've got a student bank account with Natwest, with free railcard for 5 years. It's got an overdraft of £1275 i think, well thats the maximum you can sign up for. I don't know about the interest rate. However, in my experience the customer services at the two branches i went to were really helpful, went over things and were happy to talk to me about my options and sort it out, but without me feeling pressured. So for that they were really good, I'd recommend them :)
  • Options
    I don't actually have a student account, I'm with nationwide, with no overdraft.

BUT, they do offer an instant access mini-isa with 5% interest & no tax (for a maximum input of £3000 a year) which is a rather nice place to stash your student loan and get a bit of extra interest! :)

they're also very reliable and the internet banking (although I've nothing to compare it with) is very good and easy to use
  • Options
    I joined Lloyds TSB when I was 14 and then got my student account with them. They are really good in my opinion because I made sure my account was with my bank back in Sussex where there aren't as many customers. £1,000 first year OD intrest free, 2nd year £1250 intrest free going up to £1500 interest free in the third year and fourth.

I had a few issues with my money and my circumstances so they gave me the £1500 overdraft for no interest from the end of my first year. They are easy to get ahold of and I get personal letters etc from them. Anytime I've gone over my overdraft they've warned me first and I've only ever paid one charge because I was out of the country and then it was £35 and offered me free financial advice etc. So all in all I'm pretty pleased with them.
  • Options
    royal bank of scotland - 1st year overdraft £1250, 2nd year overdraft £1400, 3rd year overdraft £1600 (i think).

i've never had any problem with them.
  • Options
    I'm with Natwest, never had a problem with them, they actually told me I had a problem with accessing my online banking without me having to ring them up, and they sorted it all out for me (this was a while ago).

Been with them for over 5 years, having gone from a current account with a solo card to a student account when I started university (I opted for the £50 cash instead of the kettle/toaster/alarm clock combo, think I made the right choice there). Only this year in my final year have I had an interest free overdraft with them as i've never needed it in past years, £1800 interest free. Can't comment on what the overdraft was like for previous years though, sorry.

Only quirk is that they won't stop bloody asking me if I want a student credit card whenever I put money in at their cash desks.
  • Options
    royal bank of scotland - 1st year overdraft £1250, 2nd year overdraft £1400, 3rd year overdraft £1600 (i think).

i've never had any problem with them.

That's what I've got.

I'm in third year but only set it up last year so I've got £1400. I actually fell to the limit quite recently. I'm pretty screwed for money at the minute :( .
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Natwest have impressed me I must say. HSBC however are filthy fucking vermin who deserve to die.
  • Options
    HSBC are cunts, and I hope every single manager of that company dies in excruciating pain. I've got champagne on ice for when it happens- the party's at mine.

My student account was with NatWest and I have never had any problems with them. They bounced a cheque of GWST's for the sake of 10p, because Asda took two fucking months to process a Switch bill, but apart from that they've been alright. The credit card is expensive, though. Their parent bank RBS are alright too, or so I hear.

We bank with the Co-Op now, and they are fair with their charges and customer service. The charges themselves are very steep though.

You're probably best off with Nationwide.
  • Options
    Bank of Scotland are the way to go. A nice big over-draft with no interest.
    Aah...
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Bank of Scotland are the way to go. A nice big over-draft with no interest.
    Aah...

all student overdrafts are interest free though aren't they?
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    That's what I've got.

I'm in third year but only set it up last year so I've got £1400. I actually fell to the limit quite recently. I'm pretty screwed for money at the minute :( .

don't worry about it. i don't! most people are in the same boat so don't let it bother you. i have 2 overdrafts (1 of which charges interest) and they total £2100 now. i'm at the bottom of both of them... :grump:
  • Options
    all student overdrafts are interest free though aren't they?

I don't even know! I didn't shop around or anything. But it's nice anyway, whether everywhere does it or not.
    Heheh.
  • Options
    students who are citizens of the UK are so lucky! although I'm allowed a student overdraft by the royal bank, I'm not supposed to use it really...the british high commission in my country demands that we have enough funds for tuition fee costs (£8000) plus living costs (for the year) at the beginnig of every year!!.....they apparently think that we've got trees of gold and leprechauns living in our back garden!
  • Options
    What's wrong with that, though?

You come to a new country, and you should be able to pay your way. It's not unreasonable.

You should always shop around for the best deal.
  • Options
    well try coping with the stress of making sure that there's approx. £13,000 in your bank account at once n then get back to me. i think they should just be happy with the annual tuition fees n living expenses for one semester...n i could get the rest monthly. would be a lot easier for my folks...
  • Options
    I'm sure it is very stressful, but them's the rules if you want to come into this country and study.

All countries have the same rules- you have to prove you can support yourself before you can live there.