Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ecstasy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone. I was just diagnosed with schizophrenia and I was wondering if it was from my ecstasy use. I know a whole bunch of other kids that took it too and none of them got schizophrenia. Does anyone know anything about this???

Comments

• Options
    I havent seen any research suggesting a link, but its possible, its also possible that you have a genetic pre-disposition to it.

Do you smoke cannabis?
  • Options
    Some people have underlying problems beforehand, and drug use can then be a trigger to types of mental illnesses.

There'll be more knowledgable people who can add more i'm sure.
  • Options
    The problem is that most people who imbibe in ecstasy have also taken other drugs (licit or illicit) at some point, as well as substances that might be within the ecstasy pill.

I do know one person who is schizophrenic with panic attacks following years of taking ecstasy, but he also did plenty of other substances beginning as a teen when underlying problems are just beginning to surface.
  • Options
    Yeah. I was smoking pot when i got diagnosed but i haven't smoked any in while. I think having taken mushrooms and acid may have triggered one of my breaks.
  • Options
    Hallucenigens/dissasosiatives tend to trigger schitzophrenia
  • Options
    Right, but what I'm wondering is how come none of my friends got a mental illness when they ate the same E pills as me?? I want to start smoking weed and taking acid/shrooms and alcohol again. Does anyone feel I should stay away from these drugs due to my schizophrenia???? I have already smoked weed, crack and drank alcohol since and I'm doing fine. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Rosebud420 wrote:
    Right, but what I'm wondering is how come none of my friends got a mental illness when they ate the same E pills as me?? I want to start smoking weed and taking acid/shrooms and alcohol again. Does anyone feel I should stay away from these drugs due to my schizophrenia???? I have already smoked weed, crack and drank alcohol since and I'm doing fine. Any thoughts?

It doesn't work like that i'm afraid, it has nothing to do with the drugs being 'bad', it's about your genetics.

Yes you should definetily stay away from drugs from now on, unless you want things to get potentially worse?
  • Options
    Well, I've taken drugs since I was diagnosed and it uaually effects me for 1-2 days after. Then I'm back to normal. I've read about this one guy who has schizophrenia and he takes X all the time. I'm afraid of taking it again because I'm on an anti-depressant and it may be a bad mix. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    Anything trippy (E, weed, acid, mushies etc ) would be potentially troublesome.
  • Options
    i wouldnt bother with ecstasy if you're on anti depressant anyway
  • Options
    I know, I'm just really jealous that all my friends get to take it and i have to stay home with the tv. I know of some people with schizophrenia that pop pills but you're probably right. Why would i heed a happy pill when im already on something that's supposed to make me happy?? I'm out.
  • Options
    Rosebud420 wrote:
    I know, I'm just really jealous that all my friends get to take it and i have to stay home with the tv. I know of some people with schizophrenia that pop pills but you're probably right. Why would i heed a happy pill when im already on something that's supposed to make me happy?? I'm out.
    surely you can still go out and not take e. i know it would be hard to see all your mates on it but still.. can you drink?
  • Options
    well as shitty as it sounds your only real option is to find new friends to do stuff with at the weekends opposed to sitting in
  • Options
    Yeah, I drink. I'm not supposed to but I do anyway!!! I sure feel good after a night of drinking... I don't ever get hangovers! But, yeah.... I just wish I could still roll without worrying that it will clash with my meds. Out.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    surely you can still go out and not take e. i know it would be hard to see all your mates on it but still.. can you drink?

suppose it all depends on where your are .. if its out at a club then you could go out and drink but if they were sittin in their mates house it'd be a different story

its not really much fun when you're sober and everyones fucked off your head .. itve only done it once, apart from the comedy factor of laughing at the state of your mates its pretty pointless, not to mention the temptation .. on top of the impaired judgement due to alcohol!
  • Options
    Yeah. I've made new friends. They don't care that i have schizophrenia. My other friends from before will never let me do drugs with them again. They think that I have a mental illness, and oh no, she can't go out with us tonight. She'd be weird. And I'm not weird, I don't think. NE-ways. Peace out.
  • Options
    erm schizophrenia is a mental illness.. ?
  • Options
    Well, yeah, schizophrenia is a mental illness. I'm doing good these days! I used to be so sick, but I finally found the drug that really works wonders for me. :)
  • Options
    well glad to hear it .. i wouldnt use that font colour if i was you!
  • Options
    Cool...maybe you should tell J what this wonder drug is.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Rosebud, taking drugs won't cause schizophrenia, but you are right in thinking it can trigger psychosis for some people. Taking more drugs may trigger more episodes.

Taking e while you are on antidepressants most likely won't do anything for you because of the way the two substances interact - see here for more info. This page from Erowid.org on SSRI's may give you some more information about what you have been prescribed, as SSRI's are the most common, I assume that is what you are taking.

Cannabis is the most likely substance to cause you further episodes. What is unclear is whether cannabis merely triggers latent mental health problems or actually causes them. There is some information on Erowid.org again, titled Cannabis and Psychosis that goes into the subject in a bit more depth. If you are going to knock any of your drug use on the head, it should undoubtably be cannabis. Hallucinogens will definitely not do your state of mind any good either and should really be avoided.

As for the rest, well, if you are serious about controlling your schizophrenia, you shouldn't be taking any recreational drugs, it will interfere with your treatment and make you more unstable. I guess it comes down to how much you want to be well in the long term really.